Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Spencer Hoadley

    Evan checked himself in the mirror one last time before leaving the bathroom.
    His mom looked up from her book as he walked towards the front door. “Where you headed?” She asked.
    “Just going to hang out with some friends.” Evan answered. “I’ll be home by 11:30?”
    “Let’s make it 11.” His mom said as he grabbed his keys. “Just be sure to drive carefully. It’s supposed to snow later tonight.”
    Evan sighed as he walked out to his car. He drive a ‘75 Volkswagen Beetle. I need to start saving for a new car. He thought as he climbed into it. He sighed again as he pulled out of the driveway.
    He was a block away from his house when small white flakes started to fall. As he continued to drive, the snow began to fall heavier.
    When he had parked, there was a thin layer of white covering the ground. He checked his hair in the rear-view mirror one last time before getting out.
    I hope this is the right place... He thought as he walked towards a house. it doesn’t look like there are very many people here...atleast not enough for a good party.
    He had reached the front door. He took a deep breath, and knocked.

• • •

         Evan set a pair of darts down on a coffee table and walked up to a short blonde boy.
    “Dude, you told me this was the party to go to this weekend.” He said.
    The blonde kid turned to him. “And it still is!” He said, as if trying to convince himself.
    “Whatever you say Matt.” Evan said as he rolled his eyes. “Can you atleast show me that girl you were telling me about?”
    Matt looked around the small crowd in the room. “ I think that’s her over in the corner.” He said, pointing to a short red head.
    “You sure?” Evan asked. “Cause she looks nothing like the picture you sent me.”
    “I’m pretty sure.” Matt said as he scratched his head. “Either that or she just didn’t come.”
    Evan sighed. “I think I should have done what she did.” He looked over the thirty or so people in the room. “I’m gonna head it.” He told Matt.
    He started walking towards the front door and checked his phone. it was only 9:30.
    Great...what am I supposed to do for an hour and a half? He thought as he walked to his car. I guess i could get some work done on the set...or i could just go home and get to bed early. He smiled. I’m probably the only kid in school who’s going to get a full nights sleep this weekend.
    Evan flipped through radio stations as he pulled away from the house. He settled on a country station and drove home..

• • •

         His mom was still reading when he got home. She looked up as the door closed. “Home so soon?”
    “Yeah.” Evan answered. “Remind me to never listen to what Matt tells me.” He chuckled.
    His mom smiled. “Your dad should be home in about half an hour. You want to stay in here and watch tv until he gets home?”
    “Nah.” Evan said as he walked towards the hall. “I think I’m going to just head to bed. be the only person at school to actually sleep during the weekend.” He joked.
“Well, good night sweetie.” His mom said before returning to her book.
    Evan walked down the hall and into his room. He slipped into his pajamas and climbed into bed. He yawned as he turned his tv on and flipped through the channels.
    He heard the front door shut at ten after ten. Dad must be home. He thought as he turned his tv off.

He heard his parents muffled voices as he began to drift into sleep.

“Well tell me the good news first.” He heard his mom say.

“I got promoted to general manager.” His did answered.

“well that’s great!” His mom said. “But what’s the bad news?”

His dad lowered his voice when he answered. It was too muffled for Evan to understand.

If it’s anything important, they’ll tell me in the morning. Evan thought as he rolled onto his side.

He drifted into sleep without listening to the rest of his parents conversation.

* * *

Evan walked into drama and sat in the back row. He loved being in the class, but he never got any parts. When the rest of the class had come into the room, the teacher got up from his desk.

“Alright, only two and a half more weeks until opening night.” He said.

The room filled with excited chatter.

“The actors will stay in here and practice lines.” The teacher continued. “And the rest of you will be going into the shop to work on the set. I’m keeping Evan in charge of your group, so talk to him if you’re not sure what to be doing.”

I’m tired of being in charge of the set. Evan thought as he walked towards the shop. Yeah, my dad can get supplies for us, but that doesn’t mean I know what I’m doing. I mean, he’s the one who works at Lowe’s, why not have him come in and tell people what to do?

His thoughts were interrupted by a barrage of questions. He sighed and began to answer them.

• • •

    “How was school today?” Evan’s mom asked when he walked into the house.
    “It was ok.” He answered. “Mr. Johnson still has me in charge of the set.”
    Evan walked into the kitchen and sat across from his mom. “Do you think I could talk to dad about coming in on his day off to help us?” He asked. “I mean, we could use somebody who actually knows what they’re doing.”
    His mom smiled, but it seemed almost forced. “I don’t know if your dad will have as much time off as he used to.” She told Evan. “You’re dad was promoted to general manager.”
    “Oh yeah.” Evan replied. “I remember hearing him say something about that the other night.”
    “I thought you had gone to bed.” His mom said.
    Evan shrugged. “Couldn’t fall asleep.”
    His mom just nodded. “What else did you hear that night?” She asked worriedly.
    “Not much else.” Evan answered. “Why? What else did you guys talk about?”
    His mom stood up and started walking out of the kitchen. “Oh, its nothing big.” She said. “Just ask your dad sometime.”
    She grabbed a book from the counter and walked out of the room.
    Well that was weird. Evan thought as he walked to his room.

* * *

    Evan was the first person to get to drama class, as usual. He daydreamed through Mr. Johnson’s beginning of class speech. He already knew that he was in charge of the set, and that was the only thing Mr. Johnson would say that involved him.
    He spent the rest of the week like this.

• • •

    When Friday came along, Evan followed his usual routine.
    Mr. Johnson looked up when Evan walked into the room. “Just the person i wanted to talk to.” He said as he got up from his desk. “I noticed the set only had a few paint touch-ups left to do.”
    Evan nodded.
    “I think the other students can handle finishing that up.” Mr. Johnson told him. “Today, i have another assignment for you. Brady seems to be struggling with his lines. I'd like you to help him get them down.”
    “I guess I could do that.” Evan said nervously. He had never read lines for a part before. I guess it can’t be too hard. He thought to himself.
    He sat and waited for the class to start. When Mr. Johnson had finished his spiel, Evan walked over to Brady.
    “Mr. Johnson asked me to help you with lines.” Evan said, answering Brady’s confused look.
    Brady nodded slowly. “I don’t know what it is, but I just can’t get the last two acts down.”
    “You’ll get it eventually.” Evan said as he turned to act four of the script.

• • •

    “See? You’ve almost got it down.” Evan said to Brady as drama ended. “Just practice a few more times after school and you’ll have it.”
    “Thanks dude.” Brady replied. They had started walking down the hall when Brady said “Why don’t you ever audition? When you were helping me earlier, you were reading the lines really well.”
    Evan shrugged. “I’ve just always helped with the set. With my dad working at Lowe’s i guess it’s just my thing.”
    “You should try auditioning for the next play.” Brady said before turning down a side hall.
    I don’t know if that’s the best idea. Evan thought as he walked to his next class. I wouldn’t want to take the spotlight away from anybody who’s actually an actor...

* * *

    Evan walked into his house and saw both of his parents sitting on the couch. They looked up at him with anxious looks.
    “Hi sweetie. His mom said. “Your dad and I would like to talk to you about something. Go ahead and sit down.
    Evan’s heart was racing as he sat in a recliner. What could I be in trouble for? He thought frantically. He couldn’t think of anything that his parents would be mad about.
    His parents looked at each other, then back at him. “Your dad has been putting in a lot more hours lately with his promotion, as you know.” His mom said. “But he hasn’t been using the time to actually be the general manager.” She continued.
    His dad cut in. “There’s no easy way to go about this...how would you feel about moving?” He asked.
    Evan was in shock. He didn’t know how to answer. Finally he got a few of his thoughts together. “What do you mean?” He asked. “Like, moving a few towns over, or across the state?”
    His dad chuckled nervously. “It’s a little further then that. The job i was offered is in Twin Falls, Idaho.”
    “...But that’s halfway across the country.” Evan quietly said.
    “Yes.” His mom interrupted. “But your dad's salary will be almost doubled, and the company is offering to pay for any costs related to moving.”
    Evan thought for a moment. I don’t want to have to just pack everything up and leave...what about my friends? What about school? I don’t like half the people at school, but i still don’t want to have to just leave...It sounds like they’re pretty set on going... He was torn on what to think. I guess i could use it as a way to start over...have more friends, be cooler..maybe even get a girlfriend...
    “What’s the town like? Evan asked. “And what about a house?”
    “its a little smaller then here.” His dad answered. “The population there is only about 40,000. And as for a house, that’s what I’ve been looking for a work for the past week. Your mother and I have a couple that we liked-”
    “And that’s where you come in.” His mom cut in. “We want your opinion of the houses we’re looking at.”
    “ As long as I’ve got my own bathroom, I’ll be happy.” Evan laughed. He looked at his parents faces; they thought he was trying to make a joke. “I’m serious. As long as I get my own bathroom, I don’t care what the house is like.”
    His mom was a little shocked. “You really don’t care what the house is like?” She asked.
    “Really.” Evan answered. “It doesn’t matter to me that much. Now, what actually matter to me is, when would we move?”
    His mom looked nervously at his dad. “Do you want to answer that or should I?” She asked.
    “You can.” His dad said quietly.
    “Well, Evan...We’re going to be withdrawing you from school on Monday morning, and leave town that afternoon.” His mom told him.
    Evan was speechless.
    “We put a few boxes up in your room already.” His mom continued. “If you need more, just let us know and we’ll get them for you.”
Evan stood up and walked to his room.
    Atleast i don’t have to worry about doing homework now. Evan thought as he started to fill a box.

* * *

    “Yes, that’s correct.” Evan’s mom said to his school counselor. “I know there’s a week left in the semester, but today was the latest we could push back the move.”
    The counselor sighed. “I wouldn’t normally do this...but i guess his grades are high enough...I’ll out on these records that he got all his credits for this semester. Just don’t sign him up at his new school until their new semester starts.” The counselor handed a small stack of papers to Evan’s mom. “These should be all you need when you get him registered. Good luck at the new school.”
    Evan and his mom walked out of the office. “Was there anything left that you need to pack?” His mom asked.
    “Just my phone charger.” Evan answered. “But I was just putting that in my backpack.”
    His mom just smiled.

• • •

    When they got home, Evan walking into his empty room. He sighed as he picked up his phone charger and put it  in his already full backpack.
    This will be the last time i ever see this room... He thought.
    Evan slipped the backpack on his shoulder and flipped the light off. He shut the door and walked out of the house.


© 2012 Spencer Hoadley


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

274 Views
Added on March 22, 2012
Last Updated on March 22, 2012


Author

Spencer Hoadley
Spencer Hoadley

Twin Falls, ID



Writing