…But what if I don’t believe?

…But what if I don’t believe?

A Story by Martin
"

This is one of my previous articles for the church bulletin

"
As people (young or old) consider their faith they end up having questions and concerns dealing with their family’s choice of worship.  As Sunday school teachers for many years my wife and I have always felt it was a good thing to have questions about faith because it allows one to grow as a Christian and to be comfortable by having concerns addressed.
Inevitably a young person will come to a crossroads and need guidance about faith issues.  It’s not unusual for a person to blurt out the question, “…But what if I don’t believe in God?”  
When this inevitable situation arises it is what an old mentor of mine used to call “a teachable opportunity.”  I look to the greatest teacher of them all, Jesus, for an example to live and worship by.  I tell the person that the easiest way to look at the situation is to look at the life of Jesus and his actions to see if he is worthy of emulation and in the end worship.
Was Jesus respectful of others…I’d say very much so.  Jesus seemed to embody the commandment “love thy neighbor.”  He ate with tax collectors, healed the sick, and even forgave the people who were crucifying him.  Ok, there was that incident with him overturning tables at the synagogue, but he was making a point about people not showing the proper respect for the house of God.  So, overall Jesus seemed to have been a very respectful person.
Was he kind?  Jesus raised the dead to ease the suffering of those who were grieving. Although Jesus could have spent his time consorting with kings and those with great wealth he took the time to time to show kindness to people who had no social standing or wealth, like the old woman at the temple.  Jesus recognized her contribution as being great because it was a challenge for her, and that she had overcome it. Jesus was so kind that even as he was dying on the cross he was helping others find the way to Heaven.  
Was he a giving person?  One might ask more correctly when Jesus was not giving.  Water to wine, fish and bread for 5,000 are examples of the giving nature of Jesus.  Of course in the end he gave himself to the cross for our benefit.  Indeed it seemed that giving was something with which Jesus had an intimate knowledge.
Was Jesus truthful?  I’d say the only complaint, if you can call it that, about Jesus and his handling of the truth was that he was cryptic.  Obviously he was not at liberty to give away all of God’s plans because they would not be understood or properly appreciated, but I do not see how anyone could say Jesus was in anyway dishonest.
Was Jesus willing to get his hands dirty?  To help people Jesus seemed to be very willing to get his hands dirty, even to the point of touching lepers.  In another sense though, Jesus was willing to get his hands dirty by reaching out to just about anyone, anywhere, no matter what their situation.
Was Jesus Prayerful?  If nothing else, Jesus knew how to give credit to the creator.  Jesus prayed the “The Lord’s Prayer,” he prayed when breaking bread, when drinking wine, and when on the cross.  No doubt about it, Jesus was prayerful.
The discussion of Jesus’ characteristics has been going on for 2000+ years but it seems clear that the beginnings of a reason to worship are present.  Jesus was a good person, who appreciated his blessings and from this a seeker of the truth can find the faith to seek continued information to build their faith upon.
(Special thanks to Fr. Ed Zelley, Fr. Greg Bezilla and Cherie Spielman for their assistance)
“May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk.”
An Egyptian blessing

© 2012 Martin


Author's Note

Martin
The intent was to appeal not only to adults but also to younger folk who were questioning their own values.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

128 Views
Added on August 30, 2012
Last Updated on August 30, 2012
Tags: church, episcopal, Jesus

Author

Martin
Martin

NJ



About
Editor/Webmaster East Brunswick Special Ed PTA. Letter Carrier. Band parent. Teen wrangler. Avid gardener. more..

Writing
Volunteers Volunteers

A Story by Martin