Chapter One: Duren

Chapter One: Duren

A Chapter by Norrin Shearer
"

First chapter of the book. We're introduced to one of the protagonists, Duren Thor.

"

Chapter One: Duren


The sun shone down into the valley, casting light through the windows of the few carefully crafted dwarven buildings out in the open. Although the Dwarves had homes and shops on the surface, most of the dwarven kingdom of Thordor was hidden deep inside the hills of the valley. Elaborately carved labyrinths and tunnels were set into the sides of the grassy mountains and under the ground, creating an intricate system of passageways beneath the surface. Inside these tunnels rested the central city of the Thordor Clan’s domain, Dundavar.

The Hill Dwarves of the Thordor Valley were a strong and independent nation, ruled by the noble Thor family and their council of advisors. Currently, the council was assembled in Dundavar’s central meeting hall.

The high ceilings of the meeting hall had been expertly carved into the mountains of the valley, allowing them to extend upwards almost to the peak of the mountain itself. Long red and gold tapestries hung from the walls brandishing the Thordor crest, a silver war hammer imposed upon a bold lighting bolt. The light in the room flickered with the will of the flames about the room. Candles were placed along the top of the stone table adorned in ornate golden candelabras, and torches were mounted along the walls in silver braziers.

Duren Thor, prince of the Valley, looked out at the seven other Dwarves seated before him at the long stone table. His father, Dalen, the king of the Thordor Valley, sat across from him at the head of the table. The six Advisory Council members sat along the sides of the table, three to each side, staring at Duren with steely, unwavering eyes.

“The elves need our assistance! They have aided us in the past and now we must return the favor. Salazarius seized his power unlawfully and has assumed a cruel dictatorship, forcing the elves to bend to his will. What he is doing is unjust and cannot stand, it is our duty to intervene and aid the elves’ resistance group in usurping this tyrant’s throne!” Duren demanded.

Reigny Ironborn, the eldest Dwarf on the council, stroked his long snowy beard as he addressed the prince. “We owe the elves nothing, any debts we may have owed them have all been paid. If the elves wanted our assistance they would come to us. There is no need to go sticking our noses where they don't belong.”

“But think, if we liberate the elves from Salazarius’ tyranny we could make permanent allies, which would certainly benefit us in the future,” Duren retorted.

“The boy has a point,” Notch Nicholson, the Council’s primary financial advisor, noted. “Aligning ourselves with the elves would be beneficial in numerous circumstances. They are a very influential race, and would make extremely powerful allies.”

“And that's just the issue isn't it? The elves are extremely powerful! Salazarius and his supporters are going to be damn near impossible to defeat! How many of our own soldiers are you willing to sacrifice in order to help the elves?” a rough voice from another Council member asked.

Reigny spoke up again, locking his stern eyes with Duren’s. “Dwarves will die, boy. The blood of our brothers and sisters would be spilt, and for what? For the glory? For the chance to be a hero? Wake up! More is at stake here than your name, Thor!” He spat the last word and slammed his fist hard onto the table.

King Dalen, Duren’s father, stood up quickly, his chair tipping backwards, landing loudly on the ground behind him. “That is enough for today. This meeting will resume in five days time. I will announce my final decision on the matter then. Advisory Council, you are dismissed.” His words boomed throughout the room with unquestionable authority.

The Council members shuffled towards the large iron doors at the far end of the room and exited into the stone hallways beyond, while King Dalen and Prince Duren remained in the meeting hall. Reigny was the last member to exist, and cast a hateful look in Duren’s direction as he did. The door slammed behind him and Dalen turned to face the prince.

“Son, why is this so important to you? What of the elves’ plight moves you so?”

“What Salazarius is doing is unjust. He murdered the elven king and assumed control of their nation. He treats the people unfairly and cruelly. Yes the elves are fighting, but they can't possibly hope to defeat Salazarius’ forces alone! If we were in their position father, you know their assistance would be necessary,” Duren explained.

“Duren, we just don’t have the resources right now. I’ll look into it further, but I will make you no promises. I see that this is important to you, trust me I do, but I just don’t know if we have the ability to help,” Dalen said.

“Of course we don’t,” Duren sighed as he exited the room.

Duren wandered the halls of Dundavar aimlessly, his thoughts weighing him down so that he walked with a burden on his shoulders. All Duren wanted was to be alone, but isolation was hard to find for the prince of Thordor Valley. Every passing Dwarf smiled and waved, calling out Duren’s name as they passed. Duren kindly waved and faked wavering smiles at each one, silently wishing they would just leave him alone. He wound his way throughout the underground city, passing the enclosed shops, residence halls, and recreation areas. Finally Duren realized where he was heading. He walked a few minutes more until he came to the spiral staircase leading to the aviary.

The aviary was a large stone tower built into the side of the mountain, starting from within. The tower extended out of the mountain into the open air, providing the best view of the valley. Few dwarves ever visited the aviary because most were scared of heights. If anyone was there, it would be the old Dwarf, Alabast Airfeather, keeper of the griffins. Duren enjoyed speaking to Alabast because he always had entertaining stories to tell. Now that he thought about it Duren realized that he would enjoy hearing one of the crazy Dwarf’s stories, because it would help take his mind off of the Council’s meeting.

Duren mounted the spiraling staircase and began the arduous climb towards the top of the aviary. The stairs were made of polished stone that seemed to glisten in the torchlight. The climb was long and tedious as the staircase slowly worked its way towards the sky, but Duren didn't mind. It was quiet and peaceful in the tower, the only sounds being his footsteps on the stairs and the flickering of the torches lining the walls. Eventually Duren could see the opening that led toward the interior of the aviary.

He mounted the final step and emerged into the large round room. There were no walls, only ornately decorated pillars supporting the large domed roof, providing a perfect view of the surrounding Thordor Valley. It was nearing dusk so the sun cast a ruby glow onto the clouds as it descended behind the hills and mountains. Around the edges of the aviary were roosts for the majestic griffins that lived here. The griffins had massive bodies with the hind legs of lions and the front legs of majestic eagles. Their bodies sported large eagle wings along with the bird’s serious faces, some with pristine white gold feathers, other's bearing a darker obsidian shade. The creatures laid in their roosts and regarded Duren curiously in their steel gazes. Alabast Airfeather stood in the center of the aviary with his back turned towards Duren.

Duren stood in the doorway and called out joyfully, “Alabast, old friend, is that you?”

The elderly Dwarf turned around, his long porcelaine beard blowing gently in the breeze, and sent a familiar smile towards Duren. “Ah, why if it isn't the young Prince Duren. What business brought you up those blasted stairs today?”

“I needed some fresh air and I thought you might be lonely up here.”

“I’m never lonely, Prince Duren, the griffins provide plenty of company,” Alabast said, as one of the animals walked over and gently nudged him with its beak, seeking attention.

Duren moved towards the elderly Dwarf and began to rub the back of the affection hungry griffin. “Alabast, I need your advice on something.”

“I’ll help you as best I can, but I don’t promise that the advice I give will be worth listening to,” the griffin keeper replied.

“I want to help the elves in their struggle against Salazarius, but my father and the other advisory council members are against it. I know it is the right thing to do, but I need their approval before any military action can be taken,” Duren explained.

“Do you have time for a story, Young Prince?” Alabast asked.

“Of course Alabast,” Duren replied.

“Long ago, long before the tunnels of Dundavar were carved into this great valley, your ancestors were little more than hermits wandering the land in search of a place to call home. Eventually they came to this valley of mountains and hills. The land they found was inhabited by halflings and gnomes. The gnomes, with their superior intellect had assumed control of the valley, forcing the halflings to become like slaves to them. When your ancestors, the original Thors, saw the unfair treatment they knew that they must intervene. Asking nothing in return, they began to help the halflings organize a revolt against the gnomes, breaking their control over the land. The halflings were so grateful that the dwarves had intervened on their behalf that they offered your ancestors a place to live. They offered a home to those who had none. You see Duren, your ancestors did not know that they would be rewarded with such a precious gift, but they rushed to the halflings’ aid because they saw an injustice that needed to be righted. With the gift of the valley, they had succeeded in saving two civilizations. They freed the halflings and found their own people a place to live, all because they acted on instinct and did what was right. So I ask you Prince Duren, do you believe that helping the elves is the right thing to do?” Alabast asked after concluding his narrative.

“Fascinating. I had never heard that story before. Yes, I do believe it would be right to help them. They are a people in need. They don’t have the resources or the manpower to face Salazarius and his army on their own. He is killing innocent elves, ravaging the land. He is evil Alabast. His unjust nature cannot stand.”

“Are you willing to do whatever it takes to aid the elves?”

“Yes. I believe I am. We have the capability to help them, it would be wrong not to,” Duren said.

“You are wise beyond your years, Young Prince,” Alabast asked.

“Believe it or not, my years are many. Though I am not yet as ancient as you, Alabast,” Duren replied.

Alabast chuckled then asked, “What will you do now, Duren?”

“I have five days before the council makes their final decision on the matter. Until then, I’ll talk to Treabhar. I believe we have some things to discuss.”

“Ah, Treabhar Strongwind is wise as well. A brave young lad. You made a good choice in friends with him.”

“Thank you Alabast. You are very wise,” Duren said as he turned towards the stairway leading down from the aviary.



© 2016 Norrin Shearer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

156 Views
Added on July 5, 2016
Last Updated on July 5, 2016
Tags: Fantasy, Dwarf, Dwarves, Magic, Adventure, Elves, Sword, Sorcery


Author

Norrin Shearer
Norrin Shearer

Meridian, ID



About
Hello! I'm a student who loves writing. I'm very interested in poetry, short stories, novels, and even a little bit of journalism. My favorite subjects to read and write about are fantasy and science .. more..

Writing
Space Space

A Poem by Norrin Shearer


Ross Ross

A Story by Norrin Shearer