Chapter One of Pirates

Chapter One of Pirates

A Chapter by Elizabeth Cole

 

Chapter One

 

          “What are your orders, Captain?” Ben, the one-eyed first mate on the luxurious pirate ship Fool’s Gold, asked in a gruff voice.

           

“Make haste and head for Kapadona. With what gold we have left, we can buy supplies once we arrive,” the captain answered.

           

The captain, Captain Myriah Harper, was the youngest pirate captain ever heard of, and also the only girl. On top of this, she had her own fleet of ships, all of which she was the captain over. Her three ships are called Fool’s Gold, Sea Urchin, and Jael.

           

“Captain? We haven’t any gold left,” Ben replied. Ben looked young, but his voice and his missing eye suggested otherwise. Nobody alive knew how old he was, not even Ben himself. He had been found at a port looking for work, and Myriah had recruited him, but only because she was in dire need of a larger crew.

           

No? Then we won’t be staying long.” For a pirate, Myriah had rather good grammar, but for the Brit she had been raised as, her speech was a disappointment. Besides being English, she also had a touch of Egyptian, from her father’s side. Her father had also been a pirate. 

           

Myriah walked to the edge of her ship and leaned on the rail, looking out into the endless ocean. A troubled look lined her young, beautiful face. No gold? How could they possibly get by? Pirates weren’t supposed to run out of gold. They were already nearly out of food and drink, but she dare not tell the crews that. She would only be disappointing the crew and herself, and she did not want to lose the reputation she had worked so hard to build.

           

It amazed many that she, the infamous Myriah Harper, was only thirteen years of age. Despite her older brother’s warnings, she had run away from home at the age of eight, determined to become a pirate. The pirate captain Trenton Yale, a good friend of Myriah’s, was sixteen at the time, and found her at the port of Kapadona. He took her to his captain, (who was the one who had told her that her father had been a pirate) who decided to give her a chance at piracy, and made her a part of his crew. Shortly after that, Trenton Yale became captain of his own ship, and Myriah joined his crew. Three years later, she became captain of Fool’s Gold, and since then she had become captain of Sea Urchin and Jael.

           

Myriah knew she had to leave Fool’s Gold and go to one of her other ships; as captain of three ships, she had to spend an equal amount of time on each ship. But everyone on these three ships, including Myriah herself, knew that she did not follow her own rules. She had also declared that she thought every member of each of her crews and every ship of hers was equal, but that, too, was no doubt a lie.

 

Fool’s Gold was Myriah’s favorite ship, and everyone knew it. It was one of the most famous ships sailing the eastern sea, and its reputation was incredible. It was Myriah’s largest ship; made of cherry wood and cedar, its color was amazingly beautiful, and it could withstand abuse nearly as well as those oak pirate ships that were oh, so common among the many ports. Fool’s Gold was very plush and well supplied, making it a legendary ship to behold. It had thirty cannons, fifteen on each side, port and starboard. Myriah hated to leave the luxury of this ship, so she spent little time on either of her others.

           

Sea Urchin, on the other hand, was a ship bearing a terrible reputation, and Myriah was ashamed to be the captain of it. She barely claimed it as her own, it being her least favorite. She filled the crew of this ship with individuals who wanted to commit piracy, but were too soft-hearted. She sent every one of them to Sea Urchin, unless she could detect some sort of visible talent at piracy. That was what Sea Urchin was for: lily-livered, soft-bellied wimps who thought they were good enough for pirating.

           

Jael was the most legendary ship on the water, and on land, even more famous than the Flying Dutchman itself. Few believed it even existed, and little was known about it; Myriah was the only one who knew it from bow to stern, hull to crow’s nest. It was a small, fierce ship with more cannons than any other ship had ever had. Though these cannons appeared rusty, worn out, and cheap, they had lasted Myriah a good long time. The ship was re-christened after Myriah herself; her real first name was Jael, and that is what she named her ship. Myriah did not believe in the curse many sailors did, that if you re-christened a ship, the captain and their crew would be cursed. Despite what other pirates said, Jael was a very real ship.

 

            “Ben!” Myriah yelled harshly.

           

“Yes, Captain?” Ben responded quickly, coming to attention. Myriah dismissed the salute and began to tell her first mate of her dilemma.

           

“Ben, I am in need of a larger crew, and not just on this ship. When we reach Kapadona, I want you to keep your eye open for pirate material. Am I understood?”
           

“Yes, Captain,” Ben said, saluting smartly.

 

            Myriah walked below deck to her own private captain’s quarters. She reached under the bed and pulled out a small wooden trunk. She sighed, and opened it. In it was the fleet’s remaining gold. Myriah was the only one who knew this trunk of gold existed, and she did not want to dip into her personal savings, but if they did not raid another ship soon, or steal something, they would have to. In the trunk was gold equaling an equivalent of 100,000 British pounds. Being brought up in near poverty, Myriah had gotten used to having a large sum of money under her pillow. She had spoiled herself, but she vowed to send some money to her brother when she could.

 

            Two days later, they reached the island port of Kapadona. Many pirates were known to use the port. Myriah was going to switch ships from Fool’s Gold to Jael. Sea Urchin was also meeting them at the port. Jael was well hidden, and Fool’s Gold was left well guarded. Myriah had with her just enough gold to purchase the needed supplies, and the pirate crew set off into the port taverns and markets.

           

As Myriah had suspected, the excursion did not take long. They returned to the ship with the supplies, and ten new tagalongs. When the supplies had been loaded, Myriah stood on the dock with the newcomers, Ben being the only pirate staying with her. She scanned the crowd of hopeful faces. Some looked familiar, and promising, but others seemed lousy and disappointment waiting to happen.

           

“Now,” Myriah began, speaking to Ben quietly. “I want you to take to account every word that is said here, unless I otherwise say so.” She turned to the new pirates. “As you all very well may know, I am Captain Myriah Harper. You will state your first name, and surname if you have one, and your age. Be prepared for disappointment, for I will be the one who chooses where you will serve. Let’s start with you.” She pointed to the pirate nearest her. He stepped forward.

           

“My name is Jack Stewart, Captain. I am fifteen years old.”

           

“Jack Stewart! I will talk with you briefly after this meeting. Next!”

           

“My name is Jay Rem – Ro – Rogers. Jay Rogers. I am also fifteen years old.”

 

            The meeting went by quickly, and soon Myriah had sent the new recruits to the ship Sea Urchin, with a quick word to Ben: “Keep your eye on them, Ben, especially that Jay fellow.” Ben simply nodded and went off to the ship. Jack Stewart had stayed behind.

           

“You wanted to see me, Captain?” Jack said, smirking at Myriah.

           

“Jack,” she began. “It’s been so long! But just one thing I have to know: how did my brother take to my, uh, leaving?”

           

“Oh, Jael, you should have seen him! He was worried sick! He scoured the whole of London for you, but you were long gone. I know not whether he is aware of your piracy, but I know that he would not approve of you doing what you are.” Jack, being a Londoner also, was brought up with the same grammar training as Myriah.

           

“No, he would not,” Myriah said, looking down.

           

“Listen here. That Jay Rogers chap, I don’t trust him one bit. He seems vaguely familiar. I suspect that he just wants to get to Jael, honestly. Whatever you do, don’t let him on.”

           

“I agree,” Myriah answered. I’ve sent all of the new recruits to Sea Urchin, along with Ben, my first mate. I warned him about Mr. Rogers, if that is even his name. I will need to spend a while there to determine where the proper placement for these ‘pirates’ will be. But for now, I wish for you to join me on my ship Jael.”

           

“I promise you, Jael Myriah,” Jack said, placing his hand on Myriah’s shoulder. “I will keep a careful watch out on him. He’s up to no good, we can guarantee that much.”



© 2008 Elizabeth Cole


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really enjoyed this! Well done, I felt that I could see the story playing out right in front of me. Your details were simple and the flow was so easy to follow, it seemed very effortless. Very well done! :)

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

140 Views
1 Review
Added on March 11, 2008


Author

Elizabeth Cole
Elizabeth Cole

vegas



About
hey! i totally luv Jesus and writing is my passion. or atleast one of them -lol-. most of my buds are writers also. (Jay Sslin, Kris B, Lauren) i am mostly best at modern day writing, and Kris B had t.. more..

Writing
You You

A Poem by Elizabeth Cole