How to Negotiate, Even if You’re an Idiot

How to Negotiate, Even if You’re an Idiot

A Story by S. R. Morris

5 Skills to Better Negotiations


by S. R. Morris

We all begin learning to negotiate when we’re young. When we’re adolescents, it might involve asking for more allowance or trying to persuade a parent to let us have a pet. We might learn some basic skills to negotiate. The problem is that too many people never get past the first stage: pleading.

These skills will put you in a better position and assist you in getting what you want without resorting to pleading. Employing these 5 skills will assist you to negotiate the results you want.

1. Know your goal and focus on your skills

If your goal is to get a significant raise, make sure you concentrate on getting that raise and don’t be side-tracked by other negotiation issues that are not as meaningful or important. Remember when you were younger and you wanted a dog or cat? You would never have settled for a goldfish under any circumstances. Keep that same focus in your mind when you negotiate for a raise.

2. Negotiate your best argument first

Your best argument may have several points, but when you negotiate always begin with your strongest point. Other points should always strengthen your negotiation position to achieve your goal. An important skill to remember is to think through your best argument and practice it. Rehearse in your mind any possible arguments and responses so that you are prepared for the most difficult side-winders they’re likely to throw at you.

3. Recognize the other side’s needs

Remember when you tried to negotiate with your parents for that pet? You knew ahead of time, if pushed, what you would offer to do in return. This same negotiating skill applies in our adult world. You can avoid major bust-ups if you anticipate the other side’s wants and needs.

4. Be quiet, listen and be flexible

Learning to listen is a practiced skill. If you were anything like me as a kid, perhaps you too didn’t know when to stop talking and just listen. The same holds true when you negotiate in any relationship. Once you’ve presented your case, be quiet.  When you’re listening to the other side, ask questions and be flexible so that you can make some compromises. Just make sure those compromises don't damage your business negotiations.

5. Try to settle on a win-win outcome

You felt great when your parents agreed to let you have a dog or cat and they were happy when you promised to do the dishes without complaining. When you negotiate, the best results are when both parties satisfied. A happy ending fr bot parties is the skill that all successful negotiators strive for.

There's no need to risk looking like an idiot by pleading for that raise. Learn these five skills to negotiate like a winner.


Copyright 2012 by S. R. Morris

© 2012 S. R. Morris


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

82 Views
Added on October 6, 2012
Last Updated on October 6, 2012

Author

S. R. Morris
S. R. Morris

Mountain Home, ID



About
I am a semi-retired freelance writer and I divide my time between my kids and grandkids in Idaho, and my wife and daughter in the Philippines. I spent more than a decade as a reporter, editor and publ.. more..

Writing