Why Jesus Was Born in a Manger

Why Jesus Was Born in a Manger

A Story by S. R. Morris

By S. R. Morris

Why Jesus Was Born in a Manger is a devotional piece I wrote contemplating why God would allow His Son to be born in the manner He did. As one Christian writer once said, "The story of Bethlehem is an exhaustless theme."


“And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger” (Luke 2:12).


Have you ever wondered why Jesus was born in a manger? Maybe not. Maybe it never occurred to ask yourself whether there was any significance to that part of the Christmas story. Is it simply an insignificant part of the Christmas story? Besides the fact that people had flocked to Jerusalem for the census, and the fact that there was no room in the inn, the question remains. Why did God allow His Son to be born in a manger?


In order to fully comprehend the meaning of Luke 2:12, you have to believe that Scripture was written so that we could better understand God’s purpose. So, it’s important to understand the significance of that verse, to grasp the meaning of the entire Christmas story.


The angel told the shepherds, “this shall be a sign unto you.” He answered their primary question before they asked it: If we go to Bethlehem, how will we know what he looks like? How are we going to recognize him? The angel said, “this will be a sign unto you.”


The word translated as “sign” comes from the Greek word σημειου (s�"mĕiŏn) meaning a supernatural miracle, token, or wonder. So in essence, the angel told the shepherds that God’s Son would be born in Bethlehem that night, and they could recognize him by this sign, this miraculous wonder: He would be found lying in a manger.


But why would God allow that? Every good parent, from pauper to millionaire, wants the best for their child. If you visit any soon-to-be parents, you’ll notice two things that they’re very proud of�"the baby’s room and the baby’s clothes. They may even take you on a tour of the baby’s room and point out everything they acquired to make it the perfect room for the baby. But a manger in a smelly, dirty, noisy stable for God’s Son? It seems like a strange choice for someone who “dwells in light that no man can approach” (1 Timothy 6:16).


A few years ago, I worked in a small community south of Phoenix that was dominated by cattle and dairy farms. On the way to work each day, I had to drive past a large feed lot where the smell was pretty overbearing, especially in the summer. One day, my assignment as a newspaper reporter was to interview a farmer at that location. In less than a minute after arriving at the farm and leaving my car, I realized that I had not worn the right shoes and clothes for that assignment.


A farm is a dirty, crowded, noisy place. The stable that was Jesus’ first home was probably also home to a number of farm animals, possibly horses or donkeys, chickens, cows, sheep, or even a camel. A stable seems like a very questionable location for someone who “is surrounded by ten thousand times ten thousand angels” (Revelation 5:11).


What about the baby’s clothes? The angel told the shepherds He would be wrapped in swaddling clothes. Sounds cute, right? Wrong. The words “swaddling clothes” were translated from one Greek word σπαργανόω (sparganŏō), which means to swathe or wrap an infant with strips. I’m sure that the strips of cloth that Mary used to wrap baby Jesus were the best they could afford. No, there were no malls or name brand outlets available for them to shop. Joseph was a poor carpenter so Jesus was wrapped in “swaddling clothes.”


Perhaps the “sign” for the shepherds was not just so they would recognize God’s Son among the crowd in that suburb of Jerusalem called Bethlehem. Perhaps it also was a “sign” or indication of the kind of God He was. But what would that mean? Why would the Creator of all things be born in a stable? Why would the God who is worthy to “receive glory and honour and power” (Revelation 5:12) let His Son be found lying in a manger?


Could it mean that no matter how smelly and dirty and noisy and crowded your life is, Jesus wants to be in your life? Could it mean that no matter messed up your life is, you don’t have to clean it up first, before you invite Him in? Could it mean that no matter what you’ve done, or how bad you believe you are, or how much guilt you’re carrying around with you, this sign is for you?


“And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.”


Yes, this sign is for us. He is the Creator of the ends of the earth (Isaiah 40:28), but he gives grace to the humble (1 Peter 5:5). He dwells in the light that no man can approach (1 Timothy 6:16), but the pure in heart shall see Him (Matthew 5:8). It’s a fearful thing to fall into His hands (Hebrews 10:31), but His tender mercies are over all His works (Psalms 145:9). His throne is surrounded by ten thousand times ten thousand and thousands of thousands (Revelation 5:11), but he will leave ninety-nine to find one who has gone astray (Matthew 18:12). We are grasshoppers in His sight (Isaiah 40:22), but He cares for us (1Peter 5:7).


Jesus was laid in a manger so that we would know that we have a High Priest who is touched with the feeling of our infirmities (Hebrews 4:15). What a thought! Even though we are all like filthy rags (Isaiah 64:6), even though we can’t do good because we’re so accustomed to doing evil (Jeremiah 13:23), even though like sheep we have all gone astray and turned to our own ways (Isaiah 53:6), He stands at the door and knocks.


“Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.” (Revelation 3:20)

I

t’s a very significant part of the Christmas story and it tells us volumes about the kind of God He is. He wants us to know this about Him. “And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.”


Copyright 2010 by S. R. Morris

                

© 2012 S. R. Morris


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

726 Views
Added on October 6, 2012
Last Updated on October 6, 2012

Author

S. R. Morris
S. R. Morris

Mountain Home, ID



About
I am a semi-retired freelance writer and I divide my time between my kids and grandkids in Idaho, and my wife and daughter in the Philippines. I spent more than a decade as a reporter, editor and publ.. more..

Writing