Good Old-Fashion Medical Care Exists

Good Old-Fashion Medical Care Exists

A Story by S. R. Morris

By S. R. Morris

Dr. Edward Savala Dispenses Common Sense
Good Old-Fashion Medical Care, Costs Exist at Clinica Santa Maria


With all the talk about universal medical coverage, and the ever-rising cost of health care, the average American must wonder, “Whatever happened to old-fashion medical care performed by old-fashion doctors with old-fashion health?


Quit wondering. There is a doctor in the TreasureValley with a simple straightforward approach to medical care. Best of all, his charge for an office visit is about the same as you would pay to have the oil changed in your car.


Dr. Edward Savala and his wife, Rosa, own and operate a small private practice in Caldwell. He is an old-fashion medical doctor who is not too busy to listen to his patients, diagnose the illness, and treat your symptoms.


“What I’m trying to do is allow people to come for an office visit and get some type of treatment at a fair rate,” Dr. Savala explains. “I’ve looked at the lowest paid worker in the area, making only minimum wage at $7.25 an hour, and my program allows them to get medical treatment at a reasonable rate.”


Dr. Savala has been operating his family practice in Caldwell for over 12 years, together with the help of his wife, Rosa, who serves as business manager. He says he picked Caldwell due to the high minimum wage population and the poverty rate. He adds that the rising cost of health insurance is a byproduct of medical industry over-inflation. Bigger is not always better, he says, and believes that medical costs have become too costly for the average family. He offers a very reasonable rate for a simple office visit to his Clinica Santa Maria than other clinics charge.


“I’ll give you a good example,” states Dr. Savala. “I know of a farm worker who went to the emergency room and got a $5,000 work-up. He was told to go home and take Advil and that would take care of his problem, which is pain when he’s walking. It was just arthritis, but he got a bill for $5,000. How can he pay for it when he makes $7.25 an hour? These are common stories.”


According to Dr. Savala, he believes in listening to his patients and using his medical training to make an educated diagnosis of the problem, as well as a prescription to remedy the situation. He believes some patients only expect a doctor to tell them to go home and take some Tylenol.


“Why is it that, in some circles, the medical profession is just incapable of making a decision on its own?” says Dr. Savala. “Why do they need a research paper on everything in order to justify everything? We’re at the point where the doctor’s hands are not free to make a medical decision for the patient without a medical study.”


Dr. Savala’s common sense approach to dealing with health care costs also applies to his method of treating his patients’ illnesses.


“There was a time when we would see patients in the office and we would treat it,” states Dr. Savala. “All of a sudden, viruses are the causes of everything. Whatever happened to bacteria and bacterial infections? If you have a sore throat, it’s a virus. You have an ear ache? It’s a virus. You have a stomach ache? It’s a virus. The patient is just expected to go home, rest, take Tylenol and the burden is placed on the patient to get well.


“I still believe that patients don’t want to come into the office, sit down, chat, and have to pay for an office visit,” continues Dr. Savala. “It’s proven to me on a daily basis when I get patients from other clinics. They say ‘I’m really sick’ or ‘my child is sick. All they told me is that it’s a virus and for me to go home and take some Tylenol and drink fluids.’ Now I still believe in fluids and electrolytes, but I also believe you have to put in a little effort and not just say it’s a viral infection.”


While he believes there are no easy answers, Dr. Savala says that many people are fed up with the costs and policies of health care and insurance companies. He says the present system is not working for many people. Because everything is insurance-driven, he says the small private practice is becoming rare.


“People are just fed up with the system,” says Dr. Savala. “Things are so one-sided, it doesn’t matter whether they are Republican or Democrat or Independent. They can’t even get the system to work. It’s ridiculous. It’s like having a new car outside in the garage, but you can’t drive it. So, why do you even have that car outside?”


Dr. Savala believes that faith is as important as science in medicine. That’s one reason why he chose the name of his practice: Clinica Santa Maria, which is Saint Mary’s Clinic in Spanish. As a medical professional, he believes in being involved in the community and making a positive influence.


Like any father, Dr. Savala enjoyed watching his kids participate in school activities and got to know Vallivue's wresting coach during the time his son was wrestling. He observed that some kids who needed medical attention came from families who had economical difficulties. He is an active part of a local high school wrestling team. He says that’s one way he feels he can give back to the community and make a real difference.


“I feel that I’m helping the community and being a real part of the wrestling team at the school,” says Dr. Savala. “They have kids at the school who get common infections, whether they are bacteria infections or fungal infections. I don’t care whether their parents are on minimum wage or they are executives. I take that factor out of the picture.


“My thinking is that if you are on the wrestling team, then I’m going to be part of your team,” continues Dr. Savala. “You can come here and I’m going to take care of you on the first office visit, diagnose it, prescribe some medication, and keep you on the team. I’m going to do my part and do your part as a member of that team.”


Copyright 2012 by S. R. Morris

© 2012 S. R. Morris


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

113 Views
Added on October 6, 2012
Last Updated on October 6, 2012

Author

S. R. Morris
S. R. Morris

Mountain Home, ID



About
I am a semi-retired freelance writer and I divide my time between my kids and grandkids in Idaho, and my wife and daughter in the Philippines. I spent more than a decade as a reporter, editor and publ.. more..

Writing