Panic Attacks, Depression Are Treatable

Panic Attacks, Depression Are Treatable

A Story by S. R. Morris

Compassionate, Caring Therapist
Dr. Audrey Ham: Panic Attacks, Depression, Anxiety are Treatable


There’s an old saying that ‘people won’t care how much you know, until they know how much you care’ and that’s true about therapy, according to Dr. Audrey Ham.

Dr. Ham, who lives and practices in Pasadena, is a compassionate and caring therapist who believes that most problems are treatable.


“Some people struggle along with their problems for years, and they think it has to be that way,” states Dr. Ham. “The reality is that they don’t have to feel that way. If they’re having panic attacks, or not sleeping well, they can learn different ways to cope, and they’ll feel much.”


Having received her Master’s degree at Columbia and her PhD at NYU, Dr. Ham has a broad range of experience and has worked with people of all ages. She has even worked with family victims of the 9/11 disaster.


“The most important thing in dealing with these kinds of problems is support from a non-judgmental person,” says Dr. Ham. “I work with people to peel off the layers of the onion to get to the issues on a deeper level. I help a person understand why they feel the way they do.”


Although she has worked with people of all ages, including children, Dr. Ham prefers to work with adults, or children 12 years old or older.


“I make assessments, but not advice,” explains Dr. Ham. “The client has to be ready to make a breakthrough, so I after working with a client, I ask  ‘is the client ready to hear this?’”

Dr. Ham deals with clients who have problems with anxiety, depression, life changes, not sleeping well, career decisions, or just not functioning at their optimum.


“It takes a lot of courage to reach out to someone and talk about personal issues,” says Dr. Ham. “I was just talking to someone recently who has panic attacks, and because of that, she is on and out of the emergency room. Panic attacks are treatable and talking to someone who cares can help you find ways to cope.”


Copyright 2012 by S. R. Morris

© 2012 S. R. Morris


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

139 Views
Added on October 6, 2012
Last Updated on October 6, 2012

Author

S. R. Morris
S. R. Morris

Mountain Home, ID



About
I am a semi-retired freelance writer and I divide my time between my kids and grandkids in Idaho, and my wife and daughter in the Philippines. I spent more than a decade as a reporter, editor and publ.. more..

Writing