Naughty Biscuit

Naughty Biscuit

A Story by S. R. Morris

By S. R. Morris

This is a children's story, and a true story of a child learned to trust God for an answer to prayer.


“He’s gone!” Vanessa cried. “They’ve stolen Biscuit!”


Father had barely walked in the door from work when he heard Vanessa’s cries. No one would want to steal Biscuit, he thought. He was just a common horse�"not a thoroughbred, not a racehorse�"just an everyday, run-of-the-mill horse.


“He probably got out of the barn and wandered into the back pasture.” Dad assured Vanessa.

“No, we checked,” Vanessa responded. “He’s not there. He’s gone!”


“Well, maybe somebody left the gate open and he wandered next door,” Dad suggested. “Have you checked with the neighbors?”


“Yes,” Vanessa answered. “He’s not there!”


“Well, he couldn’t just disappear,” Dad said.


“Nobody’s seen him anywhere,” Vanessa cried. “I’m sure someone has stolen Biscuit!”

Vanessa’s heart was breaking. She had gotten Biscuit for her birthday, and she had kept her promise to feed, water, comb, and care for him. Even more, Biscuit had become her best friend. She often talked to Biscuit, and told the horse all about the things that happened at school. Vanessa wanted her horse back!


“I’ve got an idea,” Dad said. “I’ll call the radio station and ask them to announce a lost horse. Maybe someone will call to say they’ve found him, and then the station will call us.”


“Oh, thank you, Daddy,” Vanessa said hopefully. “Please call them now.”

The whole family listened to the radio all afternoon, hoping to hear that someone had reported Biscuit. But no one called.


After dinner, Dad took a flashlight and walked through the dark woods near their house. He knew it wouldn’t do any good to call the horse by name. Biscuit was too stubborn. The only way anyone could get Biscuit to move, if he didn’t want to move, was to bribe him with a carrot. He loved carrots. So, Dad carried along a carrot in case he found the horse.


“Did you find Biscuit?” Vanessa asked as Dad returned to the horse.


“No, I’m sorry,” Dad sighed as he saw the disappointment on Vanessa’s face. “I’ll try again in the morning when it’s light.”


“I don’t think he’s ever coming back,” Vanessa cried.


Tears streamed down Vanessa face. Tears came to Dad’s eyes too. He wished there was something he could do or say to make her feel better.


“Let’s pray,” Dad suggested. “And let’s claim a promise from God’s Word.”


“Okay,” Vanessa said, smiling a little. “Help me think of a promise for Biscuit.”


“Well, I don’t know of any promises for a horse. All I can think of is what Jesus said in Luke 12:6, 7.” Dad said as he opened the Bible. “’Are not five sparrows sold for two farthings, and not one of them is forgotten before God? But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows.’


“This Bible verse says that not even a sparrow is forgotten by God,” Dad started to explain. “So that means�"”


“And a horse is worth more than a sparrow, right Dad?” Vanessa asked.


“Well, if God doesn’t forget about sparrows, I’m sure He doesn’t forget about horses either,” Dad replied. “He cares about Biscuit, especially because He cares about you. The important thing to remember is that if God has even numbered the hairs on your head, He cares tremendously about what is important to you. Let’s pray and ask God to help you find Biscuit.”


After prayer, Vanessa put on her pajamas. Dad kissed her and tucked her into bed.


I hope Jesus will help us find Biscuit tomorrow,” Vanessa said.


The next morning, as Dad was getting ready for work, he heard someone knocking. As he opened the door, he saw Mr. Logan, a neighbor who lived about three streets away. He had a frustrated look on his face.


“Do you have a brown horse with a white tail and mane?” Mr. Logan asked.


“Yes, we do,” dad said. “Did you find Biscuit? Was he involved in an accident? Is he okay?”


“Oh, he’s okay,” Mr. Logan replied. “He’s eating grass in my pasture. I would have brought him over to you myself, but that’s one stubborn horse.”


“That’s Biscuit!” Dad said. “Thank you, Mr. Logan. I’ll go tell Vanessa and we’ll come over and get him in just a few minutes.”


“Vanessa, wake up,” Dad said softly as he gently shook her shoulder. “One of your friends is here and he wants to see you.”


“Please tell him I don’t want to see anyone today,” Vanessa said as she snuggled back into her bed.


“But Vanessa, it’s one of your best friends and wants you to get him up and get him a carrot,” Dad said.


“I’m tired, Daddy,” Vanessa began. “Tell him he can get his own�"”


Suddenly, she was awake and Vanessa sat right up straight in her bed.


“Did you find Biscuit?” she asked.


“Well, actually it was Mr. Logan who found him,” Dad said.


Vanessa bolted past her dad and headed for the refrigerator. She opened the door and grabbed a carrot from the vegetable crisper. Then, as she bounded for the front door, she called to her dad.


“Come on, Daddy. Let’s hurry.” She said as she ran toward the truck.


“Vanessa, come back here and get dressed first,” Dad said. “You’re still in your pajamas.”


Soon they were driving down the road toward Mr. Logan’s house. Vanessa saw the brown and white figure of Biscuit in a pasture near the house. Her dad had barely stopped the truck when she started running toward her horse.


“Biscuit! Why did you run away?” Vanessa scolded.


She threw her arms around Biscuit’s neck, but he ignored Vanessa and continued munching grass. Suddenly, he raised his head and sniffed. He couldn’t see the carrot she had brought with her, but he could smell it. He nudged her and tried to get the carrot in her back pocket.


“Oh no, you don’t” Vanessa said as he took the carrot from her jeans. “If you want this carrot, you’ll have to follow me.”


As Biscuit followed her back to the horse trailer, Vanessa whispered a prayer of thanks to God for helping her find her best friend.


Copyright 2005 by S. R. Morris

© 2012 S. R. Morris


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

123 Views
Added on October 6, 2012
Last Updated on October 6, 2012

Author

S. R. Morris
S. R. Morris

Mountain Home, ID



About
I am a semi-retired freelance writer and I divide my time between my kids and grandkids in Idaho, and my wife and daughter in the Philippines. I spent more than a decade as a reporter, editor and publ.. more..

Writing