Pleng's Song a Best Seller in Thailand

Pleng's Song a Best Seller in Thailand

A Story by S. R. Morris

Former Japanese author publishes Thai best seller


Whatever happened to Patrick Maher?


As an American teaching English in Japan, Maher wrote his first novel, Candid Confessions, in 2001. A hit from the start, it recounted the tale of an American who cared only for booze and women. A best seller in Japan, Candid Confessions was eventually named as the third-best-selling foreign book with Amazon Japan.


Now he’s done it again. Pleng’s Song is the story of girl at a privileged Thai private school with an alcoholic mother and a selfish, distant father. She begins a diary writing about her dealings with her parents, teacher, principal, and classmates. Angering her teachers, playing cruel pranks on her classmates, and refusing to respond to her parents and school staff, Pleng’s life seemed destined to become a disaster.


Then a natural disaster in the form of a flood overwhelms her young life. Left alone at home when the flood begins, Pleng is frightened and forced to escape the flood and seek continually higher ground, physically and emotionally. She survives by trusting her instincts, killing and eating snakes, and picking fruit while everyone she knows believes she is dead.


While living off the land, Pleng recognizes her privileged, bratty attitude needs a change of heart and she vows to do just that. When she is rescued by an army helicopter, her tale of survival makes her famous as the “Flood Girl.” The redemption of Pleng and her story ends with an uplifting message.


Published by Bangkok Books, Pleng’s Song received “two thumbs up” from The Nation and has become a best-selling novel in Asia. This time Maher’s target audience is young readers (ages 10 & up), but is being enjoyed by adults as well.


A native of Grand Rapids, Michigan, Maher lives in Thailand with his wife and two children. Pleng’s Song can be purchased from Kobo, or any bookstore online. You can also see Maher’s books at www.patrickmaher.us.


Copyright 2012 by S. R. Morris

© 2012 S. R. Morris


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

162 Views
Added on October 6, 2012
Last Updated on October 6, 2012

Author

S. R. Morris
S. R. Morris

Mountain Home, ID



About
I am a semi-retired freelance writer and I divide my time between my kids and grandkids in Idaho, and my wife and daughter in the Philippines. I spent more than a decade as a reporter, editor and publ.. more..

Writing