10 Presidents Who Were Not Pet Lovers

10 Presidents Who Were Not Pet Lovers

A Story by S. R. Morris

10 Presidents Who Were Not Pet Lovers

by S. R. Morris

There are several lists of presidential pets, including the strangest presidential pets and the most exotic pets owned by presidents. The lists even include the most unusual or dangerous pets. There are lists of presidents who owned the most dogs, cats, or birds. But this is a list you may have never seen before because it lists presidents who owned the least number of pets, or no pets at all. 

This was compiled from a variety of books and sources. Since much time has elapsed and, since no living witnesses can attest whether they were pet lovers or not, an amount of common sense had to be applied to compile this list. 

The first three on the list are agreed by most historians. While some may argue about what degree of love or apathy these presidents had toward animals, the following list portrays the presidents who “probably” did not love pets at all.

#1:
Chester Alan Arthur (1881-1885) There is no trace of any pets owned by Arthur during his administration. No reputable historian seems to dispute the fact that he had no pets of any kind. 

#2: Franklin Pierce (1853-1857) Most historians attest that not a single animal resided at the White House during Pierce’s tenure as president. History does indicate that Commodore Perry, following his return from
Japan, did give the president two small dogs as gifts. One of the dogs was believed to be given to Pierce’s friend, Jefferson Davis. The fate of the other is not known, but some say he carried it with him in a coat pocket. 

#3: Millard Fillmore (1850-1853) Although he was named as a founding member of the Humane Society, history does not record any pets attributed to Fillmore. A member of the “Do Nothing” party, Fillmore’s decision to join the Humane Society may have been just a political move. He is quoted as saying, “Nothing brings out the lower traits of human nature like office-seeking,” and it may have been true in his case. As a result, historians cannot find reports that any pets lived at the White House during Fillmore’s administration.

#4: Andrew Johnson (1865-1869) Some historians believe that Johnson was an animal lover because of his fondness for mice. One record is that he left flour out at night for a family of mice scurrying around in his bedroom. Another attests that Johnson saved bread crumbs and water in a dish for the creatures.

Two thoughts come to mind. First, what better way to deter the rodents from occupying his bed than to leave out food for them? Second, this was reported during the darkest days of his impeachment and perhaps he was hoping the pests would multiply and annoy whoever succeeded him.

#5: James Knox Polk (1845-1849) Like many presidents before and after him, Polk did not have any pets. History does record that he liked horses, but that is also common with many early presidents since there was no other convenient way to travel. Unlike other presidents, there is no record of Polk owning a dog or other animal, and no record of naming a horse like a pet. For that reason, he is listed as a president who was not a pet lover.

#6: James Monroe (1817-1825) History records that a Spaniel named Buddy resided with
Monroe at the White House for a short time. The dog is believed to have belonged to Monroe’s daughter or granddaughter and not Monroe’s pet. 

#7: James Madison (1809-1817) Like the president who followed him, Madison had no pets of his own. His wife Dolley, did possess a green parrot named Polly. Records also show that sheep grazed on the lawn of the White House, but it is believed they were used for landscaping reasons and not because they were the president’s pets. 

#8: William Henry Harrison (1841) Although he died of pneumonia after being in office only one month, Harrison had two animals with him at the White House, a goat and a cow. Since it was common at that time to use goats or sheep to trim the lawn, and get fresh milk from cows, they cannot really be counted as pets.

#9: James Garfield (1881-1885) In the era before the advent of horseless carriages, many presidents had horses, but it’s uncertain whether they were pets or just a means of transportation. Such is the case of
Garfield. His wife, Molly, had a mare named Kit, and the president owned a horse by the name of Veto.

#10: Harry S. Truman (1945-1953) Dogs seem to be among the most popular pets of many presidents, but that does not seem to be true about Truman. Historians say he preferred that his family be pet-free. While in the office, his daughter Margaret begged that he allow her to have a dog. Ultimately, Truman gave in to her. It was an Irish Setter, but it didn’t stay long at the White House. After a short time, Truman gave the dog away, citing that “Mike” was often sick.

In 1947, Truman received another dog as a Christmas gift. “Feller,” a Cocker Spaniel, was given to him by a woman in Truman’s home state of
Missouri. Since Truman did not want another dog at the White House, he gave the dog to his physician. When dog lovers around the country learned what had happened, they accused Truman of being anti-canine. Feller was then handed off to another friend, a Navy admiral. After a few more exchanges, the dog ended up living out his life on a farm in Ohio.

To determine the trustworthiness of a person, many pet lovers don’t have to look far. Most
U.S. citizens hold to the old adage that “the purity of a person’s heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals.” In this day and age, when it comes to U.S. presidents, it is almost “un-American” to not be a pet lover, and it is certainly not politically correct.


© 2013 S. R. Morris


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

263 Views
Added on September 7, 2013
Last Updated on September 7, 2013

Author

S. R. Morris
S. R. Morris

Mountain Home, ID



About
I am a semi-retired freelance writer and I divide my time between my kids and grandkids in Idaho, and my wife and daughter in the Philippines. I spent more than a decade as a reporter, editor and publ.. more..

Writing