Chapter Twenty:  For God's Sake!

Chapter Twenty: For God's Sake!

A Chapter by Joanna Maharis
"

Dominica is suffering from exhaustion, as a result of the weather and her allergies.

"
Walking by the living room, I was surprised to see Uncle Davis sitting on his lounge chair. "Aren't you going to church?" I asked with a confused look on my face.

"There's no church today? It's Monday." he informed me while holding a notebook on his lap, working on his house plans. His collection of blue prints he designed throughout the years.

"My mind isn't working today, Uncle Davis." I said while walking over to the sofa and sitting down.

"Not only is my mind not working, but it's absent." he said, making a joke out of the situation; thus, causing us both to laugh.

I then reviewed my manuscript of poetry to check for typing errors.

Uncle Davis decided to take a break from his house diagrams and went downstairs into the basement to be alone with his thoughts and read from his vast collection of history books.

After making the corrections on the computer for my manuscript of poetry, I took the printed copy downstairs into the basement to talk to Uncle Davis about it. "Uncle Davis, I not only finished making the necessary corrections in the printed version of my poetry collection, but I just finished making the necessary corrections onto the computer, using this printed copy as my guide. Do you think you can read it sometime today?" I asked cheerfully.

"Just put it upstairs with your things. I'm not feeling well right now, because my mind is occupied with the broken water pump at my property I'm renting out to Philip and his wife. I'm sorry, honey, but my mind just isn't here right now. I'd like to sit down and read it when I am able to give it my full
attention, and really study it carefully." he said solemnly.

"Okay, that's fine. Oh, and by the way, I printed out the photographs that your friends sent you from overseas. I wasn't able to save the pictures onto the computer, because I had to go to a special website to print them out, but I hope you like these hardcopies of the photos in black and white." I said as I showed him the photos.

"They're beautiful, Dominica. Thank you. Please put them upstairs in the living room with my other important papers. I'll study them a little later." he said while focusing his attention on a book he was reading pertaining to Germany and World War Two.

"It's too cold out. I'm not going anywhere." Aunt Doris said as she walked by the living room. She had just returned home from work.

"Are the roads bad?" I asked while typing up my poems onto the computer.

"No, but it's very cold outside. I froze when I left Junior Burger. I was more cold when I got out of my car after driving it into the garage." she said as her voice echoed from her bedroom.

I went to my bedroom to rest a bit, because I was a little drowsy. Too drowsy to read or even keep my eyes open. I then composed a new poem in my journal, put the journal away, and lay down on my bed with with my eyes closed. Partly asleep analyzing different things going on in the world, like the war going on in the Middle East, the presidential elections, and their outcomes.

I had another conversation with Uncle Davis pertaining to my father Warren Moore. I complained about how Warren never treated me with descency or respect, and about the fact that he had no respect for women at all. But Uncle Davis told me, "The problem is that Warren never had any respect for himself, because if he did, he would have never mistreated you, your brothers, or your mother. As I told you before, he's not in touch with reality."

Uncle Davis finally got in touch with Philip about the water pump. Or rather, Philip called Uncle Davis and told him, "the main problem with the water pump is the tip. Within the tip is a filter, and the filter is clogged."

Avery's area of employment is construction. Uncle Davis called Avery to tell him to ask his boss if he knows someone who can close the tip of the water pump on Uncle Davis's land. Avery got impatient with Uncle Davis who asked him to repeat himself, because he couldn't hear what Avery said. One way or the other the problem with the pump would be fixed.

Earlier that night, Aunt Doris was in her bedroom talking to Grandma Feldman about "progressive". I wasn't sure who she was talking to at first, so I asked her. She responded by saying, "I'm taking to your grandmother. I'm certainly not talking to myself, for God's sake."

On another note, Uncle Davis's cooking was outstanding that night, as it always was. But that night, the meal consisting of beef and noodles tasted extra special I really enjoyed it. Every bit of it.

That night on NBC Nightly News, there was a segment pertaining to a meat packing plant in Grand Rapids giving a massive recall of meat, because the meat was tainted with mad cow disease. One hundred and forty-three million pounds of meat were affected. The meat made its way into the Grand Rapids Schools; however, there were no reports of anyone coming down with illness from eating the tainted meat, on the basis the meat was recalled before anyone could serve it or consume it. In certain places, cattle were slaughtered that couldn't stand up, because the USDA inspectors only showed up at the meat packing plant at certain times, the company knew when the USDA would be looking, and hid the vidence from them; thus, the meat packing plant was able to get away with slaughtering cattle infested with mad cow disease.

The next segment dealt with the twenty-seven year old who shot and killed five students and himself on the campus of Northern Illinois University during the previous week. There was another segment pertaining to the Texas vault which contianed fifty boxes of files in a courthouse safe containing documents about the conspiracy to assassinate President John F. Kennedy. The safe also contained the holster Ruby used for killing Oswald. The documents proved that the discussion between Ruby and Oswald conspiring to kill President Kennedy never happened. The district attorney announced his own plans to give the evidence to a museum.


© 2008 Joanna Maharis


Author's Note

Joanna Maharis
What do you think of the dialogue?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

149 Views
Added on December 17, 2008
Last Updated on December 17, 2008


Author

Joanna Maharis
Joanna Maharis

Kalamazoo, MI



About
Graduate of Western Michigan University with a BA degree in Writing, which has been my passion since the tender age of six. Grew up in Kalamazoo, Michigan where I currently reside. I love to read al.. more..

Writing