The Hidden Town

The Hidden Town

A Story by KAREN
"

A trip that goes bad!

"

     Kathryn walked slowly toward the car, suit case in hand.  Alec, her husband, frowned at her.  He stood facing her, hands on hips.  "You shouldn't be carrying heavy things."

     "I'm fine," she protested.

     "Can't your parents find another way down?"

     "No," said Kathryn.  "The doctor says the baby is fine and the trip will not hurt me."

     "Maybe I can cancel my meetings and go___"

     "Alec, you know we have been over this."

     "I know, but I___"

     Kathryn put her hand over his mouth.  "We'll be fine."

     Kathryn got behind the wheel of her car.  Alec walked around checking the tire pressure.  She watched as he kicked each tire, then knelt down and put his ear up to them.  She pasted a smile on when he came around to the window.

     "No texting or talking on the phone while driving."

     Karthryn cranked the car.  "Love you," she said, trying to ignore the discomfort in her back.

     "Call me when you stop for gas."  Alec kissed her and then stepped back.

     "I will," said Kathryn.  "And don't worry."

     Alec watched her until she was out of sight.  He stood in the driveway for awhile praying she had forgotten something and would turn around and come back.  But she didn't.  Finally, he went into the house, the eerie feeling weighing heavy on his heart.

     Kathryn was about an hour in her drive.  Her back pain growing worse and she had to pee as well.  She looked at the passing signs, hoping a service station or road side park was near.  She had taken a different route due to a road closer and she didn't have a clue as to where anything was.  Twenty minutes later she was pulling into a gas station.  She got out of the car and stood, her bladder about to give away.

     "Howdy."

     Kathryn jumped. An old man had come out of nowhere and was staring her right in the eyes.  "Hi," she managed to say.

     Her stomach churned as he spit tobacco on the ground near her feet.  "Want me to fill her up?"

     "Please," Kathryn answered.  "Do you have a restroom?"

     "Around back."

     She headed around back waddling like a duck.  She opened the restroom door, the odor causing her  to close it again.  Kathryn clamped her nose to and enter the dirty room.  The toilet was terrible.  She pulled some tissue from her purse and laid it around the seat.  With one hand she pulled her pants down and relieved herself.  Once back out in the fresh air she took deep breaths.

     "You okay, little lady?"

     "Fine," Kathryn choked out.

     "I'm Peter Godfrey," said the old man.  "You're all ready to go.  Are you  traveling alone?"

     "On my way to my parents."  And does he see anyone else with me? Kathryn thought to herself.

     The old man stuck some more tobacco into his mouth.  "Be careful.  Some pregnant women have gotten themselves into trouble in these parts.  Someone has been stealing their babies."

     Kathryn grew nervous at them words.  She hurried and got into the car, deciding she would pull over and call Alec later.

     "Be safe!" Yelled the old man.

     Once out of sight Kathryn realized the car was making a loud noise.  Then, smoke poured out from the hood.  She pulled down a deserted driveway.  Almost down to tears she grabbed her phone to call Alec.

     "Hey, baby," Alec said, happy to hear her voice.

     "Hi."

     "What's wrong?"  Fear flooded through him.

     "The car___"

     The line went died.

     "Get out of your car," The voice growled.

     Kathryn looked up.   Peter Godfrey was standing there.  She thought he was weird, but yet she was happy to see him.  She opened the car door to get out.  Suddenly,he turned into an enormous hideous dragon.

     She  shut the door to.  She wanted to scream, but  nothing came out  Her phone rung.  "Alec! Help!"

     Alec's blood pressure rose.  "What's wrong?" The line went dead again.

     The dragon with some others ripped her door off.  "Get out!"

     Water streamed down her legs.  "Oh God," Kathryn cried.

     The dragon that was Peter Godfrey smiled.  One said, "Lunch is on it's way."

     Kathryn couldn't believe her ears.  They planned on eating her baby.  She managed to jump out of the car.  She took off running, but tripped and fell.

     The dragons  stood over her.  "Fool!" The hideous dragon growled.  "If you kill this child or cause it to be unhealthy it will be spoiled and we will not be able to eat it."  The dragon pulled her to her feet.   "And if you spoil this child you will have to die.  If it's healthy and edible you will be set free."

*******************************************************

     "I need to speak to the police."  Alec blurred out.

     "I'm sargent Becker.

     "I'm Alec Richards, my wife, something has happened."

     "Calm down."

     Alec took a deep breath.  He managed to tell sargent Becker his story.

********************************************************

     The pain was unbearable.  Kathryn tried to focus, but she couldn't.  "Please, let us go," she cried.

     "When we retrieve your child you will be released."  The dragon blew hot fire across the dark room.  His claws felt sharp to her bottom as the dragon reached into her.

     Kathryn yelled in pain.  "OUCH!"

     Blood went everywhere.  The dragon pulled the baby out.  Then, he ordered the others to return her to her car and move the car to another area.

*******************************************************

     "Oh God!"  Alec yelled.

     "We need an ambulance," Sargent Becker said into his CB radio.

     "Where's our baby?" Alec asked.

     Kathryn moaned.  Dragons are going to eat it."  She looked out the car window.  She was back on the route she normally took.  "Dragons," she repeated.

     Alec and the Sargent looked at one another.  The ambulance arrived.

     "My baby," Kathryn cried.  "Dragons!" She yelled.

*********************************************************

     Aileen Fyleman pulled up to the gas pump.  She rubbed her very pregnant belly.

     "Howdy," said Peter Godfrey.  "You traveling alone? Cause if you are be careful.  Some pregnant women have gotten their babies took from them."

     Aileen got back into her car, not waiting for gas.  She speeded off.   Then, around the curve at a deserted driveway she ran out of gas.

********************************************************

     "Dragons ate our baby," Kathryn cried.  "Dragons," she repeated as she was loaded into the ambulance.

     As Aileen's screams filled the night.  Kathryn's screams grew louder.  "Dragons ate our baby!"

    

 

    

  

© 2011 KAREN


Author's Note

KAREN
Tell me what you think! Written for the group World of 500, but this time we could use an extra 500 words. Topic, dragons.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Pretty good job on this one.. I liked your storytelling!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Holy cow! I think I'm going to cry.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Good one..!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wow I am wanting more! Like did they find the baby? It held me captive and wondering and left me the same way. Wonderful!

Posted 12 Years Ago


What a true horror story! I really enjoyed this very dark tale! I haven't read anything quite like this! It would make a great movie, I think.

Posted 12 Years Ago


It propels me into another world of imagination. It has a wonderful flow and is just that right touch of creative writing that keeps me interested.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I like it , its nice and short and i LOVE storys like that !!


Posted 12 Years Ago


Impressive story. Very dark and chilling. A very different sort of story, I really like it.

Posted 12 Years Ago


This was very interesting and bit freaky. Will make you think twice about strange old me at gas stations. the details are good.

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

715 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 3, 2011
Last Updated on June 3, 2011

Author

KAREN
KAREN

Harrisville, MS



About
I love to write and cook! Me and my sister will soon be the author of a children's book titled Feelings Feelings Feelings, and a cookbook in the near future titled Two Heads In The Kitchen. I e.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..