Trick and Shadow

Trick and Shadow

A Story by Tony
"

A morning in the pueblo with my dogs.

"

Trick and Shadow wake me up by wrestling on the dirt floor of the shack where we live. I stir and they both sit, side by side, staring at me. I smile and greet them. Shadows tail wags and Trick wiggles his stump. I pull the latch on the door and it creaks as it swings open on its own. The dogs tear past me and begin chasing the chickens out of the yard. The dawn in winter here is cold and I stamp my bare feet to get circulation as I light the burner on the dilapidated camp stove. I put on water for coffee and get dressed. Trick has a chicken cornered behind a small tree in the yard so I give him the "stop that" whistle. He gives me a look of disgust and lays in the first sun rays, sulking.

 

After coffee, I roll a fat joint and unlock the chain on the front gate. It does not swing open. It is sagging badly and I drag it open as Trick and Shadow tear past me into the street. Trick is a big boxer with a tiny brain and he prances down the sandy street, provoking all the other yard dogs to bark wildly, warning him not to come near. Which, of course, he does. I walk to the corner and stand under the big tree. My friend, Nellis walks up and we stand for a while, enjoying the morning being born, and the agriproducto de Sinaloa.

 

Other dogs have arrived at the intersection and they play and do all the other things dogs do. Except fight. Not today anyway. Bueno. Shadow comes over and sits by me as Nellis and I discuss making a short trip in his little boat to pull our crab nets. Its kinda windy, we're thinking.

 

Now a tourist comes up the street. A Geubacho, a north american.

Good morning, I say.

Buenas dias, he says.

Como estas? I ask.

Good, and you? he returns to English.

Oranges, I reply, nothin' but Oranges.

 He is visiting from Canada. He wants to buy some fresh fish, crab or shrimp.

We have all that, says Nellis.

The North American points at Shadow sitting politely by my side, looking beautiful in her shiny black coat with discreet silver flecks.

Is this your dog? he asks.

All these dogs are his. says Nellis.................

 

© 2010 Tony


Author's Note

Tony
I am attempting to give the reader a glimpse of my world.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You know I haven't read one of these in a long time. There's no real message, allusion, trick or much of a hidden meaning for the reader to disipher or something hidden that the ending reveals, it truly is just a snippet of life for the reader to do with it what they will. Very nice, thank you very much, a glimpse of this world is fine and entertaining glimpse indeed.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Great imagery, gives me a feeling of peace.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I don't know what your world looks like but through your writings I can imagine it well...thank you for the glimpse....very vivid and inspirational writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It is a nice glimpse. I enjoyed the visit :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


I agree with you featured review... 'a snippet of life'. It has succeeded as you say, 'give the reader a glimpse of my world.' It does hold a decidedly spanish content and I like that, as I live in Canada with my half Costa Rican family and spanish spoken evreyday. I lived in Mexico as a child and loved that culture. A good writ Tony!

Posted 13 Years Ago


I had to smile at the ending comment by Nellis, "All these dogs are his." Great story to give us a glimpse of your world. A simple life is wonderful to live, gives us time to think and truly live.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Indeed, the way you name your dogs, the place they take in your everyday life, the way you sip your coffee (yes!), all this reveals not only your world but also.......Ooooops!


Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I enjoyed reading this but i expected an ending of sorts this story begs to be continued. As you get absorbed in the story you expect an ending but there is none none the less it is a very good read

Posted 14 Years Ago


So are Trick and Shadow still a part of your posse?

You know I love your slices of life..

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Why wouldn't it be your dog?
You write very well and very succinctly. Is Hemingway your man?

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ohh man i love your world, id fit fine there, pass me the joint, ill rub the top of a dogs head and send it off with a wave, wrestle the gate closed and lets go for a walk see whats in the nets, yes? Ill stand by as you word wrestle in diffrent dialects i am not so worldly yet, but ill enjoy listening.

i really liked this is what im saying;)
beautiful snapshot, traveled all over to make a cohesive whole.

Posted 16 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

459 Views
18 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 3, 2008
Last Updated on January 22, 2010

Author

Tony
Tony

Mexico...... Tan Lejos



About
I am a guy, 49. I am spirit residing in a carbon based life form. The god I know can be found in motion and rest. I live in Mexico because it's very free, and community still means something. .. more..

Writing
Born Again Born Again

A Story by Tony