Chapter Four

Chapter Four

A Chapter by Sunflower 20

“So, what’s with you and Landon, huh?” Sam asked, as he leaned against my locker door. This was weeks after Landon’s arrival, when I actually felt happy to come to school. Because all I did was sit with him in the northern gardens and talk about anything and everything. Plus, he would listen with the intent of care and respond with just what I needed to hear, just what would make me smile.

The day was Wednesday, I was grabbing my lunch to meet Landon when Sam came out of no where and started interrogating me.

“Nothing” I answered calmly.

“Now come on, I’ve heard you two are together, which I highly doubt because I know you like me” he said just as calmly. I stared at him, my eyes narrowing. A strange silence overwhelmed us, even though everyone was at their lockers putting books away and laughing with friends.

“Well you can doubt as much as you want, because I’m not telling you,” I said snatching my locker shut and turning to leave.

“Now just wait a minute” he said grabbing my arm faster than I could runaway. We stared at each other. His blue eyes lit up with a spark of revenge.

“Let her go Sam,” Landon said, walking up behind me.

“Or else what?” Sam challenged, jutting his chin forwards, threateningly. Landon walked right up to him, by which time a silent crowd had formed around us. In that instant he grabbed Sam’s fingers and pulled them off my arm. I staggered back as they stood no less than a metre away from each other. In one swift movement, Landon turned around and together we started walking away.

“Oh look who’s scared now!” Sam yelled, throwing his hands in the air. The crowd fell into hysterical laughter while Landon’s jaw just twitched rapidly.

“C’mon, let’s get out of here.” I whispered, grabbing his hand and dragging him out of the sea of people.

“No, I have to settle this now.” He said sternly. Landon turned on his heels and stalked towards Sam with a determined stride.

“Hey!” he yelled, silencing the crowd. He threw down his books, and rolled up his sleeves.

“So, you come back…”

“Let’s end this…”Landon snarled. As they began circling each other, the crowd urged them on.

“Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!” they chanted.

Before I knew what was happening, they were throwing punches. My heart leapt every time Sam outstretched his arm. But there was nothing I could do; the stupid crowd drowned out my voice every time I tried to scream for them to stop. Then, just as I was about to hope for the inevitable, Landon fell to the ground, clutching his face. I screamed and tried to push myself through the crowd, but there was nothing I could do. And so the fight continued…

***

The following days felt like the ground had fallen from under me. Because just when everything was going great, school was fun, my grades were great and I had the one and only person who understood me, things turned sour.  

You see, after the fight, Landon didn’t come to school for a whole week. I tried to call him, but he never answered. With every day that passed, I fell into a state of depression. It was like a dark cloud of rain followed me everywhere, blocking out the sunshine, and shadowing my path. My life became nothing more than a carefully memorised routine of school, study, eat and sleep. Until the day I came home and there, sitting on the kitchen table, a letter with Alice Weathered written on the front.

Cautiously, I examined it, daring to hope. Then with my fingers shaking, I opened it to reveal that familiar writing. Trying to maintain a calm state of mind, I read the letter:

Dear Alice,

Hey, I’m really sorry for leaving like I did, but it wasn’t my choice. I really miss you, hope you’re okay. Look, I know I have some explaining to do, so here goes:

There’s something I haven’t told you. It’s about my parents. You know how they are the principals of the Australian Institute of Discipline? Well I…didn’t tell them that I was leaving, and it was probably the biggest mistake I’ve ever made. Because when they found out about the fight with Sam, well you can imagine what happened. Now this is the really bad news, I know your wondering when I’ll come back to Buckleberry College, well the truth is… (Please forgive me) I’m not coming back. They moved me back to my old school, because apparently I ‘m “an irresponsible child who needs to learn about the purpose of rules.”

Anyway, I’ll be leaving on Friday the 13th. But there’s one thing I really wanted you to know: I love you, always have and always will. You brought happiness to my life and I’ll never forget you. The one thing I ask of you is forgiveness, because I know I broke your heart. Please understand that I never meant for this to happen, all I wanted was for you to be happy because you’re the best thing that ever happened to me.

Love Landon

Without really thinking, I ran out the door with the keys to the car in my hands, while tears streaked down my cheeks. I didn’t care if I was breaking the rules or overreacting. Because all I wanted was to see Landon one more time. Just to tell him that I love him, and kiss him. Just as I ran out the door I saw the date.

 It was Friday the 13th.



© 2011 Sunflower 20


Author's Note

Sunflower 20
Anyone who is still reading, I thank you. And just tell me your honest opinion. Plus, only one more chapter to go! :)

Sunflower

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

wow that letter was hard to read.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I knew that I smelled a love triangle! Sam is very aggressive and out of control, which made me curious at what point he' would snap and cause a huge problem for them, I was surprised by how soon it occurred. I felt for her sorrow when he stopped coming to school, and the sorrow she felt after seeing him get hurt and then losing contact.

I could practically feel her heart break at the notice that he was going back to military school. That would be a very painful, hard letter to receive. Landon must have known the consequences of fighting Sam before he did it, so there is a realistic element of protecting his pride that clouded reasoning. That was a rough end to the chapter, I hope she can cope with his absence.

other suggestions:
-I really like the font you used for the letter to Alice, but it is a little hard to read. Is there any way to make the font for just the letter a tiny bit bigger? If the rest is 12 point then I would go with 14.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Aw, only 1? Girl you are movin to fast! Lol you need to pace this, drag it out. it is a nice mini-novel, but you don't have enough suspense there. Very well written though:)
READ, WRITE, REVIEW

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

277 Views
3 Reviews
Added on January 19, 2011
Last Updated on January 19, 2011


Author

Sunflower 20
Sunflower 20

Melbourne, Australia



About
I'm a 15 year old young writer who absolutely loves reading and writing. My stories have been praised by teachers, friends and family but I would really like someone to critically edit and give me fee.. more..

Writing