Questions In Town

Questions In Town

A Chapter by susan b
"

The princess enters town and is asked loads of questions. She makes the beginning of a plan.

"

“Excuse me! Everybody listen up!” The boy named Nathan had declared, “A word from our princess!” Everyone gasped and looked at her.

“The castle has been attacked!” She declared. Seconds later questions, demanding answers, came flying at her.

“What of the king and queen?” A man yelled.

“Are there any survivors?” A lady asked.
“I am the-” The princess began before being interrupted once more.
“Is prince Mike okay?”
“What of prince George?”
“Do we know who did it?”

“Is princess Mary alright?”

“Please. Just-” Diane began before being cut off by more questions.

“Your Majesty! What happened to the visitors?”
“Yes! Did they survive?”
“Are you going to marry one of them?”
“Were you planning on being wed to one of them?”
“Are they all okay?”

“Who survived?”
“If you would just let me-”
“Is Prince George okay?”
“Have you found the culprit?”
“Are we in any immediate danger?”
“Are we next?”
“What of the children?!”
“Are we safe?”
“Do we need to move?”
“Is the rest of the royal family okay?”
“Are you the only survivor?”
“Please...just..”
“Everyone shut up!” Nathan yelled. The whole town grew silent.

“Thank you Nathan. Now, the rest of my family has died-” a gasp-” along with everyone else there. Yes, that means I am the only survivor. As far as wedding someone I don’t know. I don’t know who did this but I will find out. Now, please. I am going to Nathan’s residence to wrap my head around things. Please leave him and his family alone. Do not ask anymore questions. I will find your answers if I do not know them. I just need silence. Go about like you would any other day.”
“But how can we?” This one question caused the beginning of another uproar.

“What do you mean dead?”
“Should we check for bodies?”
“NO!” Diane sighed a deep breath, “Yes it will be hard to go back to life as normal...but I need you to.”
“The king and queen have just died! How can we-”
“Yes, they are...which makes me in charge. Now, if it must be a command then I command you to go back to life as it was. Please. Thank you.” Nathan stretched his hand out, helping diane off the platform.

“So my house then?” Nathan asked.

“Yes.” was the short and simple reply. Nathan helped her up onto his chestnut bay horse. He grabbed the reins and led the horse to his house.

“So erm what is your horse’s name?” Diane asked.
“Oh it’s Autumn, Your Majesty.”
“I like it. Autumn. You know one of the horses I owned was named Autumn.”
“Really?”
“Yes. Your Autumn reminds me a lot of mine. Maybe when I get back I can show you- oh. Right. Nevermind.”
“I truly am sorry for your loss, your majesty.”

“It’s not your fault.”

“But still...if there is any way my family can help…”
“For now shelter is all I need. Shelter and food. How I miss good food.”
“Well, I’m sure our food isn’t as great as the castle you grew up in’s. But, I’m sure mother and my sister Rose could try their best.”
“Thank you.”

“Here it is. My home.”  It was small-ish but sturdy looking. It had 2 windows in the front with a dark-blue shutters. The door was dark brown with a black handle. After helping Diane down, he opened the door calling out, “Ma! I hope you have room for another at dinner!”
“Nathan Wells! I thought I told you to tell me in advance if you brought home one of your silly little friends! Did I no-” The woman stopped, a wooden spoon in her hand and her black hair pulled up in a bun. Her stormy gray eyes staring at her son fiercely when she entered but stopping when she saw Diane.

“Mom, this is Princess Diane. Your Majesty, my mother.”
“Hello.” Diane said politely. But, the woman said nothing back, her mouth agape in shock.

“Mom.”
“Your Majesty.” The woman curtsied. Diane laughed, “Thank you. I will need a place to stay for a while.”
“Of course. And please mind my manners, Your Highness, but isn’t the castle-”
“That’s what the noise was last night, mom.”
“What?”

“Patience, my darling,” A voice called out and a man with brown hair and green eyes entering the entry-way, “Little Rose and I were wondering...is that?” He stared at Diane.

“The princess!” Nathan’s mom, Patience, squealed in excitement, “come in!” Diane entered and sat on their purple couch in their living room.

“Yes, I am the princess. Um...I’ll need a place to stay. The palace- last night- the royal family along with everyone that was in the castle is dead. There was an explosion. Had it not been for a noble prince who forced me to leave him and my family. I too would have perished.”
“A-attacked?”

“Yes. Now it is my job to find out who did it.”

“It sounds dangerous.”
“It is Mr.Wells.”

“Please, call me Steven.”
“Alright then, Steven, it is dangerous. But all I’d like right now is some food and rest.”

“Of course, Your Majesty.”
“Thank you Patience.” Patience curtsied and left.

“Nathan! You’re home!” a girl exclaimed her brown wavy hair bouncing and her green eyes sparkling.

“Your Majesty, this is my sister Rose.”
“Hello. Your Highness,” the girl named Rose curtsied.

“Hello Rose. How old are you?”
“12, Your Majesty.”

“My little sister Mary is-was-12.”
“Was?”
“The castle um...it blew up last night.” A tear slipped down Diane’s cheek.

“Your Highness, Dinner is done.” Patience said, entering the room.
“Thank you.” Diane told Patience.

During the first few  days that the princess was there she learned a lot about the Wells. They’d lost a girl 10 years earlier- Nathan had told her this-  and she had died a few days after birth. Her name was Grace. The Wells loved hearing stories about George and Mike. Well, actually they only heard one. It hurt Diane too much to say anymore than the one. Steve worked as a blacksmith and Nathan worked alongside him. Rose worked at home with her mother. It had been 3 days since the explosion and the townspeople were getting restless, wondering about any survivors. It was the 3rd night  after Nate and Steven got home and they were all sitting in the living room that Diane stood and declared,”I’m sick of sitting. Tomorrow I head home to see the damage.”
“Would you like me to come with, Your Majesty?”

“Yes, I will need  all able men the next little while but for now I'd prefer if it was just you and your father who accompany me."

"Of course. Tomorrow then. When shall we head?"

"Early in the morning. A little after sunup."

"Yes, Princess. C'mon Nate. Bed. We must get up early."

"Yes father. Goodnight princess."

"Goodnight."


© 2017 susan b


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

81 Views
Added on March 13, 2017
Last Updated on March 13, 2017
Tags: mystery, murder, princess


Author

susan b
susan b

UT



About
I like reading and writing. I wish to travel and publish a book when I'm older. My favorite color is blue. My favorite animals include horses, penguins and cats. Yes, my profile pic is weird but it's .. more..

Writing
Running Running

A Chapter by susan b


Him Him

A Chapter by susan b


The Damage The Damage

A Chapter by susan b