The Boy On The Moon

The Boy On The Moon

A Chapter by Adele Potter
"

My fourth of July

"
Still Thursday, July 4-- Independence Day
8:37 PM
We stopped in a Chinese buffet for supper, where I accidentally dropped a crab leg into the sweet and sour sauce. Our waitress cleaned it up, muttering, “Yuchun de xiao gou shi.” I asked another waiter nearby what that meant. Let’s just say her tip was reduced considerably. 
The fireworks ended about half an hour ago, and now we’re driving to the drive-in movie theater. Well, actually, I’m waiting for the boys to come out of the convenience store, where they stopped to get a few “essentials” (i.e.�" blankets, cheesy snacks, soda, etc.). 
We climbed up into the trees to watch the fireworks. It was really, really pretty. Logan bought me an ice cream to eat while we watched, but he ate, like, two thirds of it.
After the show, Zeke, Logan, and Spencer set off firecrackers. A lot of people don’t know the difference between fireworks and firecrackers, but I do. 13 years of Logan has taught me that. Firecrackers just bang. That’s it. No pretty colors or stars of whooshing. They just go off and make a bright flash of fire and a loud noise to scare people. They’re basically boy fireworks. Boys are really weird.
The Very Beginning Of Friday, July 5
1:30 AM
I’m in the back of Logan’s car, under some blankets, but I don’t remember getting here. 
The movie was an old horror film called The Shack in Shrieking Shade. It was made back in the 1950s. Most movies from that decade suck, but this one was okay. It had some genuinely creepy moments, and the effects were decent for it’s time.
Afterwards, Spencer and Zeke disappeared (to reappear around 12, as Logan told me) with two sophomore girls they met. Logan and I drove to Scarlet Cliff, which overlooked Monarch. We sat on the hood, looking at the stars. Logan even turned off the headlights so the only brightness came from the starts and the crescent moon.
When I was little, Logan used to talk me to sleep. Not sing, but talk. That’s what he was doing now. I closed my eyes and leaned against his shoulders, and he stroked my hair. “You know,” he said. “DreamWorks has a boy fishing from the crescent moon for a reason. He’s really there. I’ve seen him.”
“Logan, you know that’s not true,” I mumbled.
“Maybe it isn’t. Maybe it was just my imagination. But about four years ago, I could’ve sworn I saw a kid up there.”
Maybe it was the outcome of all the junk I’d eaten, my sleepiness, and hearing Logan say it, but when I looked up at the moon, I could’ve sworn I saw him, too. That was the best part of the day for me.
Especially the No-Zeke-And-Spencer part.


© 2011 Adele Potter


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

me likey.. it shows a softer side of logan, and a sweetness and bond between brother and sister, ad also has a bit of humor tied in, as i have said numerous times, very masterfully written.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

140 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 9, 2011
Last Updated on February 9, 2011


Author

Adele Potter
Adele Potter

OH



About
Hey. I'm Adele Potter, or at least I was last time I checked. I'm 13 years old, and I really love to write. I like writing about middle school students, black comedy, parodies of fantasy, and anyt.. more..

Writing
Pretty Pretty

A Poem by Adele Potter