March 8 to 28, 2021 (World Cup Qualifiers [CONMEBOL])

March 8 to 28, 2021 (World Cup Qualifiers [CONMEBOL])

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2021.

"

March 8 to 28, 2021 (World Cup Qualifiers [CONMEBOL])

 

World Cup Qualifiers �" Group A

World Cup Qualifiers in South America ramped up this month.

 

Brazil started their campaign against Bolivia at home after having the bye on the opening Match Day last year. Despite having all the attacking advantages, the hosts struggled in the first half due to two early injuries. In the second half, Brazil turned on their goal scoring gears, with Gabriel Jesus volleying home the goal of the day, before substitute Fabinho chipped the Bolivian goalkeeper to bring home the three points.

 

Argentina travelled to Venezuela, scoring a brilliant team goal in the fourteenth minute by Ángel di María. From there, the Argentinians were content to hold the one-goal lead and prevented Venezuela from any real attacks on goal.

 

Brazil made two changes, while Argentina kept their same line up in a game where they dominated much of the attacking play. Brazil only had three real attempts on goal go begging. Meanwhile, down the other end, Marquinhos tackled with real intent in the box, only to hand Lionel Messi a penalty, which he slotted due to the sheer force of the kick. Neymar tried to wrestle back the match with his free kick attempt needing a deft Emiliano Martínez save onto the post. Argentina held on in the dying minutes, gaining their second 1-0 away win.

 

Venezuela made no changes to their starting eleven in the home game against Ecuador, only to fall behind by a similar goal and at a similar time to their Argentina match. Enner Valencia was the goal scorer, though Venezuela performed far better in this match. The hosts could have had a goal, only for no shots to materialise into goals.

 

Bolivia made two changes from the Brazil match, after an injury to Danny Bejarano in the friendly loss to Qatar. However, Ecuador took control of the match, starting with a handball penalty that Enner Valencia pocketed to the centre right. Jordy Caicedo then came off the bench and chipped the Bolivian goalkeeper, making it 2-0. Valencia gained a second goal for himself with a through ball and easy finish, before Caicedo polished home a header. In the race for a hat trick, Valencia had the better chances, only to just miss. 4-0 was the final score.

 

Brazil made one change due to a red card and looked the goods against Venezuela. This seemed a solid win, and Venezuela’s third home loss in a row, when Richarlison nailed a sliding goal home. However, Tomás Rincón scored an equaliser, and played out of their skin to gain a crucial point and place pressure on Brazil in making the top two nations in the group.

 

World Cup Qualifiers �" Group B

Edinson Cavani got Uruguay off to a solid start for the March Qualifiers with a 2-0 away win against Peru. Scoring in the seventh minute, Cavani backed it up with a second as he made the most of a poor clearance and miscommunication amongst Peru’s back four.

 

Colombia also started the international break on the right foot, defeating Paraguay 3-1 on their turf. The first half consisted of Colombia building up the attack, with Paraguay placing pressure through their counterattacking play. Colombia hit the post twice in quick succession, only to remain scoreless at the break. The floodgates, however, opened as Luis Díaz, Daniel Zapata and Luis Muriel all scored for the visitors. Paraguay’s Miguel Almirón, the best afield for the hosts, managed to snag a late consolation, but the World Cup champions ended the victors.

 

Paraguay hosted Chile a week later, who had drawn at home to Qatar in a friendly. The same result came about (3-1), though Paraguay started off with the first goal instead of the last. Almirón combined with Mathias Villasanti with a cutback pass to ease the hosts into the lead. However, Alexis Sánchez started piling on the pressure and levelled the score before the break. Charles Aránguiz then gave Chile the lead before substitute Arturo Vidal kicked to the left and managed to outdo the Paraguayan goalkeeper.

 

Uruguay hosted the World Cup champions, defeating them by a solitary goal. Edinson Cavani scored a header off a corner in the ninth minute, giving the hosts the early lead. From there, Colombia had three chances hit the woodwork, though the third one was from an offside player. Uruguay used their defensive structure to work on the counter when the opportunity arose. However, the one goal was enough to earn the three points, and Colombia reeling a lost chance at gaining some away points.

 

Peru swapped their left back, left midfield and right midfield, while Colombia switched their left back in their third away game in a row. Resting players was not on the cards, with the necessity to win this match against Peru. Muriel started the ball rolling for Colombia with his second goal for the March sporting window. As the half neared its end, Christopher Gonzáles finished off a team play for the ages, deftly and coolly slotting home the equaliser. The match in the second half looked to be a tight one; however, it all unravelled for the home side when substitute Raul Ruidíaz gave away a penalty. Muriel shot straight down the middle of the goal to gain back the lead. Minutes later, Juan Cuadrado scored from a tight angle and had the game in the bag for the Colombians. Gustavo Cuéllar then made it 4-1 in a second half display that left the Peruvians in utter shock.

 

In the Chile-Uruguay game, Cavani had a penalty attempt after Eugenio Mena foolishly tackled in the box. However, his shot hit the crossbar, and the Chileans were able to clear. From there, Chile had more half chances, only for the match to finish a scoreless draw.



© 2023 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

420 Views
Added on November 15, 2023
Last Updated on November 15, 2023


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing