Passageways of Time

Passageways of Time

A Story by Norma M Sutton
"

Thoughts on life

"
Across the distant horizon of time I watch a brightly colored caravan. Women in bright dress follow long tailed sheep. Children chase each other, their happy, shrill voices catching on the morning air. Dogs in formal dress rush out to curtail an impertinent goat, preventing it from wandering too far away.


Across the distant horizon of time the silhouette of a ship crosses the ocean waves, a dragon swimming into the distant sun. Golden sunlight glints off metal shields and headgear. Deep voices resonate across the distant sea. Songs of glory days of battle, songs of loneliness float across the ocean deep. Homeward bound.


Across the distant horizon of time a birth is rejoiced, a death grieved. Between the birth and the death comes the living. The excited expectations of youth; the heady rise of passion as youth leads into adulthood; the joys and responsibilities of parenthood that lead into the more relaxed responsibilities of old age and then the cycle begins anew.


Across the distant horizon of time happy children learn of the world at their grandparents knees. Never to old to teach, these wise ones teach the young the important things of life. Respect, responsibility, honor, patience and love. At the capstone of their lives they can look back and remember the joys of their life, recounting the joys and sorrows, teaching the young that old age is a natural transition in the arena that is life.


Across the distant horizon of time something went terribly wrong. Chaos has ensued. Young and old have become inconsequential. Adults want the freedoms of youth and no one wants to accept responsibility for their own actions. Such a loss.


Across the distant horizon of future time is it possible that balance can be renewed? Can family again become the center of importance? Can old and young be valued anew?


Across the Passageways of time, here and now or yesterday soon. The distant horizon of time ensues. Layer upon layer shimmering in the watching sun.



© 2013 Norma M Sutton


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Ray
a good piece of work, there's just a little mistake : you said " a impertinent goat" & it's "an impertinent goat". Keep up the writing ! the idea behind this was really great!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Norma M Sutton

10 Years Ago

Thank you for catching that. Sometimes my fingers outrun my thinking :)
Ray

10 Years Ago

Happens to everyone all the time I bet !
Such strength and power in your words. Life should be as simple as the words in your story. Children should be allowed to grow old. Wars need to stop. We all need to stop and watch the sun and appreciate what we have in a life. A outstanding short story. It was a pleasure to be able to read. Thank you.
Coyote


Posted 13 Years Ago


I too wonder how it could be. The choice of today has brought many human beings to become greedy,spiteful,angry,judge-mental and "God-less". When is it enough? I fear there is no turning back! The scariest is human beings doing bad things in the name of God. I liked your story, especially the part of Dragons.
TT-TTO-NI-K
Elk

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

197 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 20, 2010
Last Updated on May 28, 2013

Author

Norma M Sutton
Norma M Sutton

Bostic, NC



About
Norma Moore Sutton has written and published two children's books: The First Lamb and Harry Goes To The Fair She has written and published the first book in the Haunting Memories Series: Matthe.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Frozen Frozen

A Poem by Aehr


IMPERFECTION IMPERFECTION

A Poem by afra