Wanderlust

Wanderlust

A Story by Norma M Sutton
"

Thoughts on the need to be in motion

"
What is this restlessness at my core?

Keeping me stationary no more.

This yearning deep inside, a longing to again abide.

To follow the rolling waves so strong, a trickling brook as it ebbs along.


To and fro I go. Type a word. Walk away.

Room to room I roam waiting for the words to come.

Outside falling rain beats a rhythm on the roof

Whispering soft tales afar.


Is it East, West, North or South I will go.

Inside my mind unfurled shimming oasis.

Mountain tops so crisp and high, Desert plains warm and dry.

Ocean waves so deep and blue, Distant green fields rolling in the wind.


As I sit in the suns last warming glow.

Voices whisper deep inside, “Make haste, follow, leave this behind.”

The winds blow around my head, “Race with us across magnificent spaces.”

The birds arc through the sky, “It's time, It's time, fall is near, migrate with us, winter is near.”


So I sit and listen and watch and wait.

New days to come, places to see, people to meet.

Is it joy or sorrow this brings, the leaving of all known things.

Tomorrow we travel, you and I, following paths yet unknown.

© 2013 Norma M Sutton


Author's Note

Norma M Sutton

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I guess my need for travel got fed pretty good during those twenty years in the Navy, but I still get the itch sometimes. Since you asked for suggestions, how about "afar" instead of "sojourns." Instead of "places," perhaps "oases"?

Posted 13 Years Ago


Norma M Sutton

11 Years Ago

Thanks Sam. Those are perfect :)
I love to travel. As for poetry I am brutal and down to earth as a critic. The title is unique and refreshing. It flows, but the rhyme scheme is blotchy in some places. Goo mental images and vivid color in my mind. I give it a 95

Posted 13 Years Ago


this is gorgeous :) I could feel you taking me away with your mind. i know that sounds strange, but its how i feel :) I like how you end the poem with patience, as in the end, that's all we need to have. thank you for sharing :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


I have wanderlust till 8 years ago. I would travel 1500 miles on a four day weekend. I saw most of the world and the 48 connected states. Now old age and my grandchild made me content to show them the world. I like this poem.. Nothing better then a lot of time and a long highway. A excellent poem.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is an excelent piece here! You are a great poetry writer! Keep writing! ;)

Posted 14 Years Ago


THis definately creates the feeling of movement and wanderlust is such a beautiful word! Keep up the good work.

Donn

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

398 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 21, 2010
Last Updated on January 25, 2013

Author

Norma M Sutton
Norma M Sutton

Bostic, NC



About
Norma Moore Sutton has written and published two children's books: The First Lamb and Harry Goes To The Fair She has written and published the first book in the Haunting Memories Series: Matthe.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Smiles Smiles

A Poem by Tate Morgan