Chapter Five

Chapter Five

A Chapter by Tabitha t

Chapter Five

 

            “You be good for Mrs. Gregory, you hear me Emmy?” Linda asked for the fifth time as she rushed out the door. She was running very late this morning. She had overslept. Linda had planned on waking early in the morning to head down to town to talk to Lance about her employment. The issue had pressed itself on her last night as she thought about her expanses. Most of the money she had come with had been spent on the buying and stocking of the house. She was left now with just a handful of bills that she highly doubted would last till the end of the month.

            “Emmy?” She asked again as she turned around to look for the child. The only glimpse she got was of her dark curls bouncing their way out of the back door to the open field beyond.

            “Oh, we will be fine dear.” Mrs. Gregory assured her as she waved her out the door.

            Emmy had always been close to Rosa. She would cling to the hem of the woman’s dress, but since their move to Abbott, Linda had noticed that the petite girl had begun to acquire a new sense of self reliance. With Justin as her only accomplice, they would scour the property for hours at a time.

             Ms. G had stopped by later in the evening the night before to see if Linda had needed anything. Linda reassured her that she was fine but gladly accepted the sweet apple pie that the woman had baked herself.

            “Heard you were working for Lance.” She had mentioned in a casual tone. “A charming young man, that one, it’s a wonder he hasn’t settled down yet.” She shook her head. Gray waves of hair bounced with the effort. So he isn’t married or spoken for. Trisha thought happily. Mrs. G laughed to herself then, bringing Linda out of her reverie.

            “Not that the girls around here don’t try. That man has eaten so many fresh cookies and pies that he should have a barrel for a gut.”

            “Well I’m not actually working for him just yet. He mentioned that he was looking for help and I planned on taking Emmy down there tomorrow while I put in an application.” Linda explained before the old woman went on with her inner rambling, not that she didn’t enjoy getting the information but in her experience with the older community, once they get going they can’t find the strength to stop themselves.

            “You’re taking the child?” Mrs. G asked in a breathy tone. “Oh posh dear, I’ll be here bright and early to look after her while you go and snag that job before some other pretty young blonde snatches it right from under you.” Linda opened her mouth to decline the offer but the woman cut her off.

            “Listen I read the Abbot Post every morning, and in my personal opinion that old tattered thing needs a fresh breath of collegiate air. Now, I don’t want to hear a word from you on the subject.” She instructed as she backed off of the steps on the porch and down to her old van, painted on the side was the words “Gee Gee’s grocery delivery” in thick black words that stood out against the old white sides.

            “In the morning then.” She hollered as she waved and jumped in the van with more vitality then Linda would have expected for someone her age.

            The next morning Linda had been startled awake by the sound of Mrs. G banging on the screen door. The window to Linda’s bedroom window was one the second floor directly above the porch door.

            “Yoouu- Whoo!”  The woman’s chipper tone had drifted to her as she sat up in bed in panic. I overslept! Linda cursed as she threw the cocoon of blankets off of herself and swung from the bed. She hastily threw on a pair of jeans and a plain black shirt from her closet and ran downstairs. Emmy opened her own bedroom door and with a wide grin followed her mother down the stairs.

            “I am so sorry Ms. Gregory.” Linda panted as she opened the door. As she explained, she quickly smoothed out her sleep tangled hair and pulled it into a pony tail. Out of no where the thought that James had always hated the hair style flew through her mind. Even though he was now out of her life he still found ways to creep back into her mind. She didn’t have time to let this upset her though.

            “Posh dear, it’s no trouble at all.”  Ms. G waved her away as she high stepped into the house. “Everyone is entitled to a few late starts.”

            She had watched Emmy munch on a bowl of cereal as Linda rushed around the house as she washed the sleep from her eyes and threw on a pair of boots. With this done she felt as though she were as ready as she was going to be. Linda hadn’t bought any make up when she was stocking the house. She felt as if it was an unnecessary expense when things were so tight already. Linda had always possessed natural beauty and even though in her former life her cabinets were always filled to the brim with creams and powders she now couldn’t see the relevance. She wasn’t looking to impress anyone. Or am I? She thought as she jogged to the truck. She looked forward to seeing Lance after all.

            He is going to be your boss. Her mind reminded her as she stabbed the keys into the ignition.

            He is going to care about your tardiness more then your looks.



© 2012 Tabitha t


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Continuing to read and enjoy. The story seems very realistic.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Tabitha t

11 Years Ago

I am very glad. I wanted to stray away from Science Fiction and delve more into real life scenarios... read more
This is really interesting, and you always end a chapter at the point that I want to read more. Which is obviously a good thing.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Tabitha t

11 Years Ago

lol thanks! and by all means read more!
hmm...the story progresses and is interesting making folks want to follow it...loosen up your wordings...paint your words onto your canvas...let them flow out of you onto the screen...hmm...quite zen sounding ;) i like that! regardless...it's goood advice

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

103 Views
3 Reviews
Added on September 14, 2012
Last Updated on September 14, 2012


Author

Tabitha t
Tabitha t

Pigeon Forge, TN



About
I am 21. I am in a commited lesbian relationship. I am a novelist. still struggling. (obviously) The novel I am working on completing right now is totally consuming my tie and I love every minute .. more..

Writing