Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

A Chapter by Tabitha t

Chapter Eight

           

            Linda woke up in a fog. Even though she had an easy time falling asleep, she felt as though she had been running a marathon in her sleep. Slick sweat coated her hair and her bed clothes stuck to her body.

            The dream had crept to her in the middle of her sleep just like any other, gliding effortlessly into her mind like a rattlesnake looking for a warm body. Something about the dream felt different though, more real and dangerous.

            She had not thought about her escape from her childhood in years but the realistic-ness of the dream had brought it all back to the surface. She had ran for days, only stopping to drink out of slow moving streams and taking little rest under the outstretching branches of fir trees, certain that the cold eyes of her father would catch up to her. After long days and even longer nights young Trisha had came to a small city on the outskirts of the Rocky Mountains. There she found the town to respect hard work and ask little questions. She had stayed there until she could attend a university.

            She hadn’t known who the woman was then but as Trisha grew older and wiser she felt certain that she had been her mother. Had she been afraid of the monster of a man just as Linda had been? How had she let him keep her locked up and forlorn for so long? She had learned to hate the woman for what she had done but also felt grateful for finally taking a stand.

            The one question that Trisha felt unanswered about her past is; why hadn’t she tried to keep her there? They could have started over and been a family. Maybe her mother felt unworthy of trying to start a life with her daughter. After all she had stood idly by and took witness to the horrible life her daughter had endured. Linda never felt certain about what she would have done if her mother had tried to do more.

            With a giant sigh that seemed to radiate from the tired core of her body Linda crawled out of bed to prepare for the day. It was four in the morning and the sun would not be coming up for a few more hours. She had agreed to meet Lance out by the road at five to help deliver the newspaper. Knowing that today was going to be a very long day indeed Linda quickly rushed to get into the shower and then get dressed.

            Mrs. G arrived just as Linda was ready to walk to the road. With little conversation and wide smiles both women passed by each other like two women headed to their own obligations. Shortly afterwards Linda spotted Lance approaching in his pick up truck. Taking one last breath to steady herself, as well as rid herself of the colony of butterflies that had nested themselves in her navel Linda stepped up into the truck. Lance gave her a bright, energized smile and handed her a large thermos.

            “Home made coffee, just like I promised.” He smiled as she opened the lid and inhaled deeply. The rich aroma filled the cab of the truck and mixed itself with the scent of Lance’s aftershave. Linda felt better already.

            “Oh, thank you.” She breathed. She hadn’t had time to brew her own pot at home and had been afraid that she would have to rely on Lance’s good looks to keep her alert enough to make it through the day.

            “So where to first?” She asked as she took a long drag of the rich liquid in the thermos. It tasted just as heavenly as it smelled.

            “Well,” He answered as he put the vehicle in drive and headed south bound down the road towards the center of town.

            “We have to go to the press and pick up the papers. Then we are making a straight route across town to deliver them.” He answered in a thoughtful way.

            “Sounds much easier then it probably is.” Linda smiled in her own thoughtful way as she glanced across the panel seat towards Lance. She envisioned herself sliding to the middle of the seat and resting her head on his strong shoulders. She swore she could feel his arm wrapping carelessly around her as if they were two teenagers taking a afternoon drive to no where particular. Just the road and each other for entertainment.

            He is your boss, girl. Her mind chastised her. Take your mind out of the gutter. With a sigh Linda closed her thermos and looked out the window as they made sped through the deserted roads. Most of the town was still asleep and would remain so for at least another hour.

            Lance made it to the press office in a few more minutes and circled around back to park by a back door.

            “Okay now the fun begins.” He smiled as he hopped from the cab and went around the front of the truck to unlock the metal door. Linda jumped down from the passenger side and followed him in.

            Unlike the front of the office the back was a very spacious and hectic looking area. Close to the door was a small mountain of printed and stacked bundles of The Abbot Post. Beyond that were a few dozen large machines that Linda couldn’t recognize. The air smelled thick with fresh ink and paper.  Lance noticed Linda looking around.

            “Most of these machines have been out of use for a few decades. My grandfather bought them when he took over the printing company back in the forties. No matter how big and rusted, I can’t seem to get rid of them. It would be like throwing away a piece of my heritage.” He said as he looked over the place.

            “It’s impressive.” She nodded as she turned to look at Lance who was now starting to haul the bundles of papers, two under each arm, towards to door. Linda was barely able to manage to lift one above her knees and walk it after him. Once past the door they slung the papers up and into the back of the truck before heading back inside for more.

            After about twenty minutes of this the mountain had been moved from printing room floor to the bed of the truck. Even though a fine layer of perspiration had settled itself over Linda’s body, she was ashamed to admit that she hadn’t been of much help.

            “Well the hard part is over.” She breathed as she straightened her back by pressing on her hips with both hands. A crack shot up her spine and she winced. Lance laughed and shook his head as they both jumped back into the truck.

            “That was just the fun part.” He said as he looked at her and started the truck. His eyebrows wiggled in good humor and but she groaned under her breath. She had forgotten how hard work felt. Her muscles were quickly reminding her with every pot hole the truck jumped over.

            Every few Minutes Lance would pull to the curb in front of some business and hop out to drag a bundle of papers off the bed of the truck and to the front of the business where Linda would pick up the previous days extras that were stacked for recycling. Lance would cut the twine that bundled them together and put them in the carrier box that sat by the door.

            They continued to do this well past sunrise and soon Linda became swept up into the rhythm of it all. They kept up small chatter during the short spurts of driving and Linda learned a lot about Lance. He was a fourth generation Abbot county citizen and he doubted he would ever leave. He was too much of a country boy to ever survive in the city. He coached the Abbott county little league team, the Abbot Indians, and they even came close to state last year. Would have won too, if it wasn’t for their best fast pitcher breaking his arm after falling out of a crab apple tree.

            After a few hours Linda hopped in the back of the truck and sat down on the few remaining stacks of papers. They were now in a more rural part of town. Kids were running around well taken care of lawns and dogs barked behind picket fences. Linda had to roll the papers and bind them with bands that Lance had given her and attempt to make it into the yards that lined the street. After a few close missed Linda was able to aim well enough to make it close enough to the houses and they made quick progress. Within the hour the bed of the truck was empty and the had crept back into town.

            “You did a great job.” Lance admitted as he hopped out of the truck and helped Linda from the back of the truck.

            “Let me buy you a quick lunch as a thank you for the help.” He said as he nodded towards the café that was located across the street from the press shop.

            “I can’t,” she hated to admit it. “My daughter is at home with Mrs. Gregory and I’m sure that she has things she needs to get done.” She said with a frown. Her heart sank. She had enjoyed herself today, despite the hard work and had enjoyed getting to know Lance better and looked forward to spending more time around him.

            “Okay,” Lance said without skipping a beat. “I’ll take you home now, but you have to promise to have dinner with me this week.” He said as they both got into the cab of the truck and headed north through town towards both of their homes.

            “I’d like you to work full time in the office.” Lace said after a few moments of silent driving. Linda smiled over at him.

            “I think we make a great team and I’d like to talk more about it over dinner.” He said as they came to a stop in front of her property. Linda looked over to see Emmy’s face pressed against the window, hair bouncing wildly as she waved.

            “How about tomorrow?” Lance continued. “We can finalize the paperwork and then I can show you around town and enjoy the sights.” He looked over at her and smiled a soft smile.

            “Sounds great.” She said and flashed her own brilliant smile towards him and Lance’s smile widened a bit more.

            “Perfect I’ll pick you up around seven then.” He answered as she hopped down from her seat and waved as he continued down the road towards his house.

            “It’s a date.” She murmured as his truck disappeared around a bend and she headed inside to rest her sore muscles.



© 2012 Tabitha t


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

A date! I like where this is going. (And it's probably going to come back to bite her.)

Posted 11 Years Ago


'but the realistic-ness of the dream' sounds a little clunky. Maybe, 'the realistic quality of the dream'?

I like the mystery of the woman who MAY have been her mother. I like unanswered questions. Some people don't, though.

Lance sounds just too good to be true (and I'm assuming that he probably is). Even his name is perfect.

Can't wait for the next chapter.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Tabitha t

11 Years Ago

it hasnt transitioned into the dreaded " sagging middle?" has it kept a quick pace? publishabel wort.. read more
Craig2591

11 Years Ago

I don't know much about writing, it's only a hobby for me and not a passion like it is for so many p.. read more
Tabitha t

11 Years Ago

yes it was a lul to set up the big kabang that is right around the corner. I think you will enjoy it.. read more
interesting dialogue with the two love interests...the dream sequence has a lot to say too...some dialoge mistakes/preferences? the story is moving forward nicely

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is a good chapter, showing Lance and Linda getting to know each other. I don't think you're handling your spoken sentences properly


“I’ll take you home now, but you have to promise to have dinner with me this week.” He said as they both got into ...
This should read:
"I'll take you home now, but you have to promise to have dinner with me this week," he said as they both got into....

Also I think you ought to supply a little more information on what happened to Linda after she ran away frm home. What did she do? How die she earn money enough to go to the university?

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

169 Views
4 Reviews
Added on September 30, 2012
Last Updated on September 30, 2012


Author

Tabitha t
Tabitha t

Pigeon Forge, TN



About
I am 21. I am in a commited lesbian relationship. I am a novelist. still struggling. (obviously) The novel I am working on completing right now is totally consuming my tie and I love every minute .. more..

Writing