CHAPTER I: Breach.

CHAPTER I: Breach.

A Chapter by Taig Ferrier
"

Avian awakes.

"

I awoke slowly, looking up and around my environment, scanning it for any minor detail. Trying to stand, I found my knees were locked to the floor by a steel bar that was bolted sturdily into place. As my nerve endings started to activate, I realized that my arms were spread out to my sides, and cuffed around the wrist with a chain that was connected to the wall. Everything began to flicker into focus. The only light in the room, artificial and dim, seeped through the gaps between the four bars that barricaded the window in the metal door. The walls were painted stark white, degraded by many years of being forgotten. I looked at the chains again. They were rusted heavily, and the bolts that fastened it to the wall were old fashioned. I took a deep breath; a frivolous motion, but one that was instilled into my behavior to make me seem more human. When my chest was puffed out, I exhaled quickly, whipping my arms in front of me, dislodging the chains from their brackets on the wall. The chains fell limply to the floor, failing in their one and only purpose. I reached my hands behind my legs and pulled at the bar, freeing myself from all restraints. My joints crackled and creaked as I stood up, and I turned my head with my hands, cracking my neck. I walked forward towards the door, with the sounds of the chains rattling as they dragged behind me. Without hesitation, I threw the door open, ready to see the world I was 'born' into.

I was disappointed. This wasn't the grand utopian society that my 'people' were said to have created. This place was abandoned, and by the looks of the papers and files scattered about the floor, it was abandoned quickly. I searched the area for sign of life; real or artificial. My search proved useless. I was the only being in these ruins. My eyes locked on a file on the ground. The name on it read "Avian Innick." I picked up the folder and leafed through it, scanning the information.

Avian Innick was an experimental model of S.H.E. that was created to be a sentient being, capable of thinking for itself without pre-determined coding in its mind. Unlike previous S.H.E., he wouldn't have anything inputted into his memory banks, or into his moral determination cortices. Avian Innick would be allowed to develop into his own being and make his own decision and conclusions about the world around him. Unfortunately, he went haywire before even being activated. He had to be locked in a maximum-security prison cell after he attacked and killed a scientist that was attempting to deactivate him, eviscerating the poor man with his bare hands. After seeing this brutal display, the rest of the security team code-named him 'Berserker'. This report is of a classified and sensitive nature, and is never to be viewed by civilian eyes. Avian Innick is to be contained in isolation in cell number 666-D until such time that he is no longer a threat to public safety.

I closed the file, looking back and reading the number on the cell from which I had recently liberated myself. I was not surprised to see that it read 666-D. So... I thought to myself, my name is Avian Innick. It sounds nice. I dropped the file back on the ground, stepping on it as I went to search the ruins of the prison for anything that could be of use. Before I could get very far, I heard faint popping sounds coming from within the building. Shortly after, they stopped. I waited, listening for them to start again. after about a minute, a man burst through the metal door at the far end of the cell block, firing a few shots from his pistol down the corridor before slamming the door behind him. I turned my head towards him as he pushed his back against the door, gasping for breath. He made an expression with his face as our eyes met, and I could only analyze it as sheer terror.





© 2014 Taig Ferrier


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

196 Views
Added on December 5, 2014
Last Updated on December 17, 2014


Author

Taig Ferrier
Taig Ferrier

Canyon Country, CA



About
I've been writing poems and drawing ever since I can remember, and started writing songs when I was around 8 years old. I've grown and developed my artistic skills a lot since then. Around 13, I bega.. more..

Writing
Chapter I Chapter I

A Chapter by Taig Ferrier