Prologue/ CH 1 The Gift

Prologue/ CH 1 The Gift

A Chapter by Talia
"

This is the official start of it all though there have been some inklings... well read on and tell me what you think

"

Prolog

I have never been anyone of significance. I was a good student in school but not the best. I was a good athlete but never the star really. I was always the best friend never the girlfriend. The only thing I can ever say that I every really excelled in was being a good friend.

So as I reflect on this next bit of news that is about to happen to me I can’t for the life of me figure out why it has come to me. I’m nothing special; just your average woman. I finally got my wedding planning business off the ground and my husband and I are getting closer to where we want to be (location wise and financially) but that’s the American dream; nothing too special there. Maybe you can figure out why I got this gift. I still don’t know.

 

Talia Ramirez

The gift

 

I had most of the month off so we decided to run up to the Ramirez family cabin up in the Sequoias. His family had lived in the area for several generations. We met while I was in college in Fresno and he was living in Visalia. I had lived in California my whole life and loved every part of it. My dream was to move to the beach one day the water called to me more than the mountains. But the mountains were beautiful and peaceful too. And it’s the place that my husband loves so of course as long as I’m with him I’m ultimately happy.

And consequently this vacation ran right along the time of my birthday. Well it started just before, we arrived there June 14th (I find out later that this is just before summer solstice) and were scheduled to stay there through the rest of the summer with a couple of breaks here and there for a couple of weddings. Thankfully for me summers were pretty slow but Alex always stayed busy with his architect work he was well sought after through the central valley. He and his family had a well established firm and a very well connected internet connection at all of their properties.

In fact while we are up here we are supposed to check out homes in the surrounding area. We are finally ready to settle into our own home, getting that much closer to starting our family. I was so excited! It was all I had really dreamed about my whole life. I couldn’t wait to be a mommy!

So we were up here trying to get my name out to transfer my wedding/event planning business primarily to the Fresno/Visalia area though I couldn’t see killing all my business in Bakersfield. I had started training a promising young woman by the name of Rebekah, Becca we all called her, and I had known her in high school. She is a hard worker and someone that I could trust. Those were two very important things to look for when you are looking for someone to represent you. It would still be months till she would be ready to go on her own and several weddings and major events before I would be comfortable enough to stop double checking all of her work but it was a start and hopefully a great solution.

So as we looked through housing guides and reviews on school districts, public vs. private it’s never too early to thing about those things especially when you are planning on having a family, our phones started ringing. Alex answered his and it was work of course they wanted him to review something and were faxing it over now. Alex was always teasing me because I carry two cell phones a blue Blackjack for work and the other a pink one for personal use. It was a two for one special and despite not having money troubles anymore I still couldn’t resist a good deal (plus I loved that phone). My dad was calling my personal phone (the one phone that never rings).

“Hey daddy! What’s up?” I greeted him cheerfully.

“Hey sweetheart, not much just wondered if you were at the cabin yet?” Dad replied.

“We got in yesterday just looking through the housing brochures trying to figure out where to start. I’m seriously just thinking about building since we have the choice but I want to check out some of the older houses see what there is first.” I babbled on. “Why? What’s going on?”

“I just wanted to come up to visit I’m not sure if I can be there next week for your official birthday and I wanted to give you your present early.”

“You know you are welcome anytime. We are just hanging around the cabin for the next couple of days. Getting settled and making a plan of attack with the housing thing. You know just the usual.” I laughed.

Dad chuckled, his voice full of warmth. “I’m sure that you don’t need me in the way but I’ll head up that way either tomorrow or the day after. I’ll have about a week until my next gig so if you don’t think me too much the bother I’ll spend that time with you.”

“Dad you’re never a bother… well almost never,” I laughed “Come on up I’ll prep the other guest room. Are you going to be bringing Karen with you?”

“No, not this time I’m stealing you off all on my own.” Dad teased.

“Sounds good let me know when you are on the way up.”

“Ok sweetheart, see you soon.” Dad signed off.

Something didn’t feel right there was something in his tone. Worry? I tried to shake it off my mind was just overworked. I was reading way too much into all of this. I ran upstairs to the extra guest room, there were so many I shook my head and laughed, but there was this one that was decorated with bears that dad often stayed in. It was kind of an old joke with us and worked very much so for my father. I made sure the sheets had been cleaned and the room was ready for when ever he decided to show up. I even turned down the bed. I know better than to wait when it comes to my dad. He might say tomorrow and show up tonight, or it could be in two weeks. That’s my dad for you. He always has something going on and he regularly looses track of time. Kind of reminds you of the nutty professor, a mix between the old movie and the Robin Williams type especially from that movie Flubber. He had the old world charm of a man out of his time, yet the funny craziness of Robin Williams.

Dad arrived at about ten o’clock that night. I shook my head as I opened the door. “It’s a good thing I already prepped your room I suppose huh pop?”

“You know me too well daughter mine!” He exclaimed as he scooped me up in his arms and off the floor in a huge bear hug that has made me slightly uncomfortable since I was 12.

“Dad I’m too big you’re gonna hurt yourself one of these days.” I giggled the familiar protest. But that never stopped my tower of a father his 6’5” always made me feel like his little girl even when I was trying to be grown up.

“As long as I’m not in a wheel chair I will always do this baby girl.” He gave his familiar reply.

I giggled and showed him in to the kitchen where I had a batch of chi tea waiting and some cookies. He dropped his bag in the entry way as we walked to the kitchen. Usually Sheri was here, she was supposed to be kind of an all around maid, cook whatever, she had worked for the family for years but usually had June off so we were on our own for the next few days.

Alex emerged from the office and helped himself to the leftover pizza in the fridge threw it in the microwave and started warming it up. I poured him a cup of chi tea and set him a place at the kitchen bar. From the set of his shoulders I could tell whatever was bothering him would not be a quick fix. I sighed and stood up to get the milk for my tea.

As I did Dad got up to greet Alex. “Well hello there young man” and reached to shake his hand, as they did the handshake became stiff as a strange look passed between the two of them.

“Hey John” Alex fakes a yawn and then after a moments hesitation, “Sorry, It’s been a long day. Thought I’d heard you wouldn’t be in till tomorrow.”

I knew I hadn’t said anything to him yet but maybe he saw me getting dads regular room ready and just put two and two together. He was always doing things like that. It always surprised me how much he seemed to know.

“Well you know me; plans are always changing now that I’m retired. Gee I never thought I’d be alive and say that!” Dad looked so excited these days “But what they say about retirement is true, life is always busier.”

“I bet it doesn’t help that you now run your own magic shows. Always knew you would make a great entertainer though.” Alex teased back.

“Probably not” Dad chuckled.

I sat watching them catch up while I finished my cup of tea. Then I picked up my cup and plate as well as theirs because they had long finished. As I loaded them into the dishwasher I yawned then started the machine.

“Well I think it’s time for me to get off to bed” I said yawning. “Your room us ready the same one as always Daddy.” I leaned over and gave him a kiss on the back of his head and a hug. “And I’ll see you when your ready babe.” Blowing him a kiss and squeezing his hand across the table before turning to start up the stairs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The two men never took their eyes off each other as Talia left the room. They sat very still knowing what they sensed on each other. Alex cocked his head to the side to listen, he heard Talia start the shower and close the door.

“Ok. We should have some privacy she is in the shower now. Obviously we need to talk.” Alex began tensely.

“Damn straight we need to talk.” John struggled to keep his voice steady. “You’re a beast!”

Alex did his best to swallow a growl. “The term is werewolf. All the men in my family are. She doesn’t know, for her own safety of course.”

“What? Since when do you get to make decisions of what’s best for her safety? She should know, and be able to make her decisions accordingly.” John argued.

“But sir, you are one to talk. You come into my home carrying quite a bit of power with you with no warning. You may not have known what I was before but I sure as hell know you were not a practitioner the last time we met.” Alex calmly countered.

“The term you’re looking for is Wizard. I wasn’t active before I was tested and awakened during winter solstice. I survived a test I should have failed and came out much stronger than most beginning Wizards.” The threat of what could be done flowing into John’s words as he spoke.

The two men studied each other for several minutes.

“What is your purpose here Wizard?” Alex snarled.

“Because of who I am, and the power I have I came to make her aware of the situation. She is a strong woman and should be made aware of her choices and the dangers. I owe her that much.” John’s words hung in the air as both men thought them over. “I had originally planned on staying a week, try and show her the basics and give her as much protection that I can.”

Alex barked out a chuckle. “You think you can protect her Wizard? How’s that? You going to forcefully awaken her as well? You must know in your short time that we werewolves don’t take kindly to meddling wizards.”

“We have to think of her now. I would never force something on her that she didn’t choose. I suggest a truce for her sake.” John negotiated, “I am her father after all. I want the best for her. I want to take her to Mono hot springs. Allow me to take her there for the week so that I may have a neutral place to show her what I need to. And make sure that she is here by her choice not because of some enthrallment.”

“Wizard, because you are her father I will allow this. I do not desire for her to be with me if she would choose otherwise. If she chooses to be awakened I ask that you allow me to tell her about our family. But know that we are never far away should you choose to use force of any kind.”

John swallowed hard, “Understood.”

Alex looked at John and his eyes softened he spoke quietly. “I am not a beast; my family is not so different than many families. Pack law says we are not allowed to reveal ourselves to normals, or non magical people. We are not encouraged to marry or pursue very serious relationships, because of this very fact. That is the only reason I have not told her. She has no way of her own to defend herself.”

“I understand. But it is now the time to open the curtains and let her make up her own mind.”

“I will call my Alpha and explain what’s happened. I was supposed to leave here tomorrow morning anyways because of Pack business. Raul was going to come here ‘til I cold get back. He’ll need to know what’s happened.”

~~~~~~

I heard Alex and my father starting to talk as I stepped into our room. I quickly stripped down and got into the shower. Before I did I looked in the mirror and quickly gave myself a once over. I wasn’t what anyone would ever call thin, I was thick and proud of it. I worked hard to get my body just how I liked it. I did have a small chest, but my nice waist and big booty made up for that. My long legs were thick and muscular, they had become more like a runners thick thighs and very shapely calves. But no matter how my body looked my favorite things about my body was on the top. I always loved my hair and my eyes. My hair was about waist length chestnut brown and naturally wavy. I meticulously manicured my eyebrows so they framed my unique hazel eyes that much better. My lips were always full and plump the perfect pout. And even when I was slightly tanned I maintained my great skin; the darkness of my hair making my complexion appear slightly milky. I gave myself one last once over and got in to the shower.

As I stepped in the hot water felt great as I let it run over me. I lathered up and washed and conditioned my hair, letting the conditioner sit for a few minutes while I shaved. Then I rinsed everything off and got out of the shower. I quickly wrapped my hair in a towel and then reached for my robe as I did I heard Alex enter the bedroom. I leaned over cleaning a spot on the mirror so I could check to make sure all my makeup was gone. It was. As I did Alex came in and wrapped his arms around my waist pulling me into him. I responded by rubbing my booty against him as I did my robe fell open and his eyebrow raised lips curling in that small smile I knew all too well. He pushed my robe off my shoulder and started nibbling at my neck. I noticed that his eyes were that light amber color they always got that way when he was aroused or extremely frustrated. I suspected it was a little of both

As he started leading me towards the bed I noticed that he had already stripped down to his boxers. So I took a moment to enjoy his body. He was just taller than my 5’10” and worked hard to get his great body too. He had this thick barrel of a chest that angled in to a thick but trim waist; his back looked like that of a swimmer very toned and muscular. He had strong arms and legs more toned than cut. Man, and that was just his body and I was already turned on. His face is what really makes me melt. He has captivating eyes that can be as dark as coals to as light as amber depending on his mood though usually stayed a chestnut brown; they were framed under thick eyebrows. His own lips were full and very nibble-able. He had jet black hair that was always very carefully cut and styled, as was his mustache. His jaw line was strong and suggested that he should be the leader of the pack so to speak; not just another worker. And he was mine. How did I get so lucky?

As we got to the bed we melted into each other falling in a shower of kisses and caresses. My hair falling out of the towel and around us and we started to play. He pinned my arms over my head and started kissing my neck, making me moan softly in reply as I started to playfully struggle against his hands. I wanted to feel him closer. He pressed closer to me as the kiss deepened.

When we had finished, I lay there starting to drift off to sleep curled up against his chest. The sweet engulfing sleep that comes only after making love till both of you are spent. And then I heard him sigh, something was still wrong. “What is it babe?” I sleepily mumbled

“I have to tell you something you aren’t going to like.” He started.

Well I know that from how you’ve been moping around since dad got here, I thought. “Just tell me love.”

“I have to go into the office tomorrow. Remember the Colin deal I was telling you about? Everything is falling apart and I have to go back in there and rework it all if we have any hope of salvaging this deal.” He explained apologetically. “I’ll be back before your birthday, I promise”

I not too subtly turned away from him and cuddled my pillow fuming. We had agreed on no work well at least not leaving to do it. We both would have to check in on things from time to time and that was ok but he was leaving for what could be up to a week and a half? He sucked. But at the same time we needed that contract to get our home. “At least this was in the start of the summer instead of later” I said not hiding my disappointment.

“I knew you wouldn’t like it, I told you, but it can’t be helped. I have to go.” He words gruff.

“Fine just go then!” I snapped back. “We come up here for you not for me. You know that I would much rather be at the beach but noooo we have to come to the mountains. Whatever I’ll keep myself busy. Dad is here and Gracie is supposed to be coming as soon as she gets some time off.”

His tone softened “Tali I’d stay if I could trust this to anyone else you know that” as he did he wrapped himself around my back pulling me back into his warmth. I started to drift off and mumbled a quiet mmmhmm.

The next thing I knew it was morning and he was getting ready to leave. He hadn’t unpacked his bag last night so all he had to do was shower and get dressed. I watched him get ready and tie his tie. He finally knew how to do it on his own. “Do you want me to make you a quick breakfast baby?” I asked half asleep. “No I’ll just grab something on the way.” He murmured. He came over to the bed half dressed and crawled on top of me. We started kissing, though I was careful not to mess up his hair. He pulled away from our hungry kiss eyes blazing. “I can’t wait till I get back!” He breathed.

“Oh s**t I’m running late.” He hurriedly finished getting dressed and reached down and kissed me once more. “I love you!” he said over his shoulder to me.

“Love you too” I called after him. I looked at the clock to see what god awful time he had woken me up at. Oh it was already 8? Well I might as well get up and moving. My tummy was already growling.

As I walked down the stairs to the kitchen I could already smell the coffee. Someone was my angel. I have to say I was slightly surprised when I saw my dad in the kitchen. Not a common sight for me. Usually I was the first up and had everything ready for him.

“Good morning” I called cheerfully.

As I did dad poured me a cup of coffee and passed me my favorite creamer and a spoon.

“Thank you Daddy.”

“No problem sweetheart.” He came around the island to give me a big hug and a kiss on the forehead.

As I stirred my coffee I noticed a bright shiny box in the center of the table with a bow and my name on it in my Dad’s unmistakable handwriting. My eyes danced and I couldn’t hide my smile.

“What’s this?” I asked trying to keep my voice as neutral as possible my eyes giving me away if he cared to look.

“I told you I came to give you your gift early.” Dad teased.

I looked at him with that little kid ‘Can I’ in my eyes.

“Go ahead.” He laughed “You never could wait could you?”

“Nope” I replied simply as I snatched up the gift and quickly pulled the top off of it. As I rummaged through the tissue paper I felt something metal. A necklace maybe? I finally found it and pulled it out. It was beautiful. A long milky silver colored chain. It had pendants on either side of it that are slightly weighted. It was this beautiful mix of glass beads on straight pins and rough natural stones that were encased in wiring that kind of reminded you of those decorative balls on the top of old metal fences. Including each of the end pendants it was 66 links long each one about an inch long. I spread it out on the clean counter to see the full extent of it.

“It’s a special martial arts chain. You can wrap it around your arm and it will just stay there or double it around your neck and ware it as a necklace.” He studied my face.

“I love it Daddy!” I jumped up and gave him a hug. I wrapped it around my neck and touched the pendants together and they stayed, then I doubled it so it draped right on my neck.

“I’m glad you like it daughter mine.” He beamed back at me. “I made it especially for you.”

“Wow” I said as I studied the stones. “I didn’t know you did things like this.”

“Well this was a first defiantly” he agreed. “Now for part two of your surprise go grab your bag we are going some where for a week. We’ll be back before Alex gets back I talked to him about it last night.”

“Mmmm kay” I said as I started back up the stairs. “Anything special I need to wear or bring?”

“Your bikini, towel and a sundress” Dad replied.

Questions filled my eyes but I said “Kay be down in a minute”

 

 

 

 

 

 



© 2009 Talia


Author's Note

Talia
what did you think?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

161 Views
Added on November 9, 2009


Author

Talia
Talia

Bakersfield , CA



About
I'm a new writer, but I have always loved stories and imagination. From the time I was a little girl I have been working them out with my Daddy! Yet only recently have succumbed to the nudges from hi.. more..

Writing
Ch 2 Suprises Ch 2 Suprises

A Chapter by Talia