Ch 2 Suprises

Ch 2 Suprises

A Chapter by Talia

Surprises

 

 

I came down the stairs in my white sundress my hair flowing down in soft curls with my bikini under, my towel in my tote bag and my new chain from Dad around my neck. “Ok I’m ready, how about you Daddy?”

“Dad? Where are you?” I started looking around the house picking up my wrap as an after thought.

“Child-mine I’ll be right there just getting a couple of things together.” Dad called.

As I was fiddling with my hair making sure it laid just right. I heard a noise from the stairs. I turned and smiled though stopping half way as I saw who rounded the corner. It was not my dad nor my husband, but rather his brother older Raul. “Oh…um…Raul I didn’t know you were here brother” I greeted him with a small smile and a hug. “How are you?”

Raul returned my embrace and smiled back at me warmly. “I’m good as always. My brother left you here alone?”

“No, my father is upstairs getting ready we are going out for the day.” I studied Raul. He was a relatively young man in his late 30’s in great shape, but he always seemed like he was so much older more like a father in understanding rather than my husbands’ older brother. He was worried about me being here alone. That’s sweet I thought. “So what are you doing up here this week?” I asked innocently yet dying with curiosity.

“Just came up to enjoy the woods before it gets busier with the tourists.”

“Tourists?” I laughed “Other than your family I’ve never seen anyone else that wasn’t invited within about 10 miles of this place. Alex always says that it’s the charm of the area.”

“Well…” Raul paused “I just wanted to get some fishing done before all your guests came up and scared them away.”

I stuck my tongue out at him. “There aren’t gonna be that many people here.”

Raul laughed his deep laugh. “Well sister, from what I hear your little party is what I consider overcrowding.”

“That’s only if everyone shows up. What? It’s my 24th birthday. You only turn 24 once!” I playfully pouted. My eyes glittered “Wait ‘til you see what I have in the works for Alex’s 30th later this year.” I rubbed my hands wickedly together. “Muah-ha-ha”

Raul just shook his head and sighed. “Young people and their crazy ideas.” He chuckled. “Isn’t that right John?”

Just then my dad turned the corner into the entry way where we had been standing. “What am I agreeing to?” Dad asked.

“That young people have some crazy ideas.” Raul offered his expression guarded not taking his eyes off John.

Dad reached to shake Raul’s hand. “They definitely do.” A strange look passed between the two of them as they held their grip a little longer than usual, the air thick with tension around them. “Well this is an unexpected surprise young man” Dad said cheerfully.

“I try sir.” Raul responded. “So what are you two up to?”

“We are heading to Mono hot springs, I’ve never been before.” I said excitedly. “So I guess we’ll get out of your way…have fun umm fishing. There’s some beer in the fridge and sandwich stuff too in case your interested.”

Raul laughed “Thanks see you later.”

I grabbed my bag and headed to the car. My dad as usual was right behind me and opened the car door for me helped me put my things into the car and closed the door once I was settled. As he closed the door I noticed something caught his eye and his back stiffened. My eyes followed his gaze back to the porch where Raul was leaning against the door frame. Dad stiffened with anger and walked back towards the house for a minute. Raul stiffened and stood straight up. The two men exchanged some words. Then Dad walked stiffly back to the car.

“So we’re off.” Dad said mockingly cheerfully. As Dad and I got into the car, I studied him carefully. We started off on the road I was quiet for a long time.

“What?” Dad laughed. “What’s that look about?”

“Nothing.” I pursed my lips “It’s just…. What was that about between you and Raul? And… for that matter you had a look between you and Alex last night that just didn’t sit right with me… I don’t get it I thought you liked him Dad. And it’s kind of late to start not liking my husband now!” The words just spilled out of my mouth before I could stop them. Looking at the dashboard a little horrified at myself, I awaited his answer nervously.

Dad reached out and squeezed my hand. “It’s nothing baby girl. Can’t an old man just worry for his daughter? You guys were fighting last night right? You looked upset so I gave him a warning look. Raul showed up unexpectedly. I’m just being a protective father. You can’t blame me for that.”

I squeezed back and sighed. “Ok Daddy just go easier on them. Alex sent Raul up here to make sure I’m safe. They won’t say it but that’s how it is. Last time they sent Rico, you know his younger brother, and Tino, Raul’s son, to keep me company. At least the kids tell you.” I laughed and shook my head. “It’s nice, it let’s me know they care so I’m cool with it.”

“Ah ok.” Dad said. I still have this sinking feeling that he’s not telling me something but instead of saying anything else I hook up my Ipod to the radio and select something fun yet mellow and settle in for the ride. “So how far is it to the springs?”

“About 4 hours.”

I scrunched my nose. “Yuck. Well let’s stop for coffee in Visalia ok?”

“Sounds good darling.”

**********

After what seemed like forever, we arrived at the springs. It was beautiful. The mountains were every shade of green, the small resort up there (more of a little hotel than anything) blended in beautifully with the surrounding natural beauty. It looked like a small ski lodge it had about 50 rooms a small restaurant and a small store specializing in natural foods. It was all very quaint.

We parked the car and checked into the hotel. Our room was on the second floor with a beautiful unobstructed view of the small pools that attracted most people to the springs.

The first thing I started to do was unpack a little and make myself more comfortable. My things easily fit into two of the four drawers. “Dad do you want me to unpack your things as well?” I called out to dad who had gone to the balcony to enjoy the view.

“No, not yet. You must be starving. Let’s head down to the restaurant and get a bite to eat.”

My stomach betrayed me and I heard it growl. “Ok Daddy let’s go.” I slipped my sandals back on and followed him out the door down the stairs.

The next couple of days went by effortlessly. We left the cell phones in the room at all times turned off the key people would know how to contact me if absolutely necessary. That in itself was amazingly empowering. Most of us live our life in the constant presence of noise and commotion. But when you can relax and get away from all that man made noise back to the natural ebb and flow of things, well its just good for your soul. The way it was intended. I lead dad in rounds of Tai Chi twice a day. I took time to meditate and calm my soul. It was all very peaceful.

The morning of the third day Dad woke me up for breakfast. We went down to the charming dining room, and to my surprise we picked up four bags of food and two thermoses of drinks. Dad packed them into the cooler provided by the kitchen staff and we collected two additional cups, mine coffee and his tea, and we started out for the day. “Well I guess it’s a good thing that I was decently dressed this morning.” I laughed.

“You know I wouldn’t have let you come unprepared” Dad agreed.

I surveyed my outfit. I was in a workout tank and yoga pants with my tennis shoes on, the only other things that I had on were my wedding rings, a leather braded bracelet that had an Elvin fire charm that dad had given me a while back and the new chain that my dad had given me. I was glad that I had tied up my hair the night before. I don’t think that this hike was going to be a quick job that was over in an hour. I paused to retighten my pony tail, then picked back up my coffee and hurried to catch up with dad.

We quickly reached the first stop of the day, next to one of the biggest pools that was near the edge of the resort. We sat down and broke out our breakfast. Dad laid out the blanket that was at the top of the cooler and we stretched out and enjoyed the minor feast. There was fresh fruit and breakfast burritos and one of those containers was full of milk. The other was full of water. We fell into silence as we ate listening to the world around us and enjoying the food.

When we had finished Dad looked at me and said “So are you ready to learn how to use that thing?”

“Hmmm?” I sat up and started again. “Oh, the chain. Of course I was waiting on you to teach me.”

We stood up and Dad pulled out his own much less ornate version and started moving in what looked to be a very fast version of Tai Chi. “You should recognize that this is the version of Tai Chi that you use.” The wiz of the chain moving through the motions as it glittered through the air. Dad turned sharply and struck out the chain at a tree a couple feet away from him. The chain dug in deep and ripped a gouge in the trunk, neatly and then he pulled it back to himself and with a flick of the wrist he wrapped it back around his forearm. He then turned to me and bowed a martial arts bow.

I laughed a little my eyes danced. “When did you learn how to do all that? And how long will it take me to learn?”

Dad chuckled. “Slow down hon., its not that hard to learn but we will have to take it slowly.” And at that we started to move in the deliberate slow motions of Tai Chi. If you didn’t know Tai Chi isn’t just a great way to add strength and flexibility to your body it is a very slow methodical version of a deadly form of martial arts. If you know how to apply the right amount of force and strength to the moves you can surprise almost any attacker.

So for the next several hours Dad taught me different moves and how to throw the chain without losing it.

I practiced and practiced. Day slipped into night all too quickly for my tastes. When I noticed again it was almost dusk and Dad had brought out some snacks for us for dinner.

We started back to our rooms to shower and regroup for the evening chatting about the different moves the whole way back. We decided to meet at the hot springs for a night dip. As soon as I was in my room I slipped into my bikini and grabbed my wrap and a towel and headed back down.

My dad was already there with a small cooler and his own swimming equipment. I set my things next to his and stepped into the pool nearest our things.

“Ok…” And in that moment, about a million little clicks went off in my head as those same million joints snapped into place, things that I had experienced on a primal level since I was a child, namely my empathetic nature and my over all sensitivity to the world around me. There were always things that I knew and understood at a gut level that were way beyond my years.

“How did I not know this before? Why did you hide it from me?” My words shooting out like accusing darts.

Dad sighed patiently “I only just found out myself last September right after I turned 50.”

((((Insert dads story briefly))))

“Why did you wait so long to tell me?” My tone more that of a child.

“Child mine, I wanted to be as prepared as possible to be able to pass on as much as I could when I first told you.”

I threw my hands up in frustration, “So that’s why since Christmas I have felt more? I just had to wear this damn pendent. Even though I never understood why? That’s why Gracie’s fire trick finally started working?” I paused, my eyes going wide. “No way… No way! She would have told me! NO WAY!”

Dad’s eyes patiently studied me as I drew some of those connections together.

“Gracie is a wizard too?” My voice quavered nearly giving out. “I always knew there was something different about her but…” My head dropped a bit and I sank down the wall to sit resting my head on my knees. “And this is all for reals?” I looked up at my dad with what must have been a kin to a small child, pouty lips and all, finding out that they missed the ice cream truck they had waited for all day.

Dad eyed me and slowly nodded. “Tis true daughter-mine.”

I groaned and put my head back down on my knees. “Ok.” I took a few deep breaths in stood up and stretched. “OK” more confidently this time. “Where do we start?”



© 2009 Talia


Author's Note

Talia
as always what did you think?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

148 Views
Added on November 9, 2009


Author

Talia
Talia

Bakersfield , CA



About
I'm a new writer, but I have always loved stories and imagination. From the time I was a little girl I have been working them out with my Daddy! Yet only recently have succumbed to the nudges from hi.. more..

Writing