Haunted Christmas Houses

Haunted Christmas Houses

A Story by Talia Renee

As October begins, I watch my house change. Cobwebs cover photo frames, potion bottles find their way into the kitchen and bathrooms, a skeleton hangs in the dining room. My grandmother's house is less detailed, but just as enthusiastic with the little dolls sitting on various couches, the scarecrow guarding the living room and decorations made by us grandkids hanging in the kitchen.

Once November 1st rolls around, the Halloween decor is replaced with leaves, acorns, little pilgrims and Native Americans as we prepare for Thanksgiving. Although it's not as exciting as Halloween decorations, my mother and grandmother are both just as enthusiastic in preparing their homes for Thanksgiving.

The day after Thanksgiving is perhaps my favourite day of the year. My mother and I have the day off and spend it transforming our home into a winter wonderland in the middle of our California hometown. My nutcrackers cover every square inch of the house, little signs are hung in nearly every room, our Nativity carefully set up, sans baby Jesus, who is hidden until midnight on Christmas Eve. Weeks before Christmas arrives, my parents and I venture out to find our tree, the centerpiece for our intimate Christmas morning of opening gifts before beginning our busy day, filled with family. The decorations stay up until early January, the day the wise men visited Jesus in the manger and we put the decorations away to await another year.

When my great-grandmother was alive and healthy, her house- the very one my family now owns and celebrates in- was passionately decked out every Halloween and Christmas. Each year was marked by two parties where family crowded the house, generations mingling. The best party of all was Christmas; the whole family would enjoy one another's company, waiting for "Santa" to arrive and bring gifts to all the kids. Even as I celebrate this holiday with my grandparents, uncles, aunts and cousins, we continue this tradition for the four children in the family.

We no longer celebrate the holidays with a huge family party; my grandpa and his siblings now have their own events. But the holiday spirit my great-grandma instilled in us is still alive and well. As I walk through my house during the final quarter of the year, observing the decorations my mother loves putting up year after year, I know this tradition will not die.  When I have my own home and family, I, too, will decorate my home for the holidays with the same love and passion my mom, grandma, and great-grandmother had. The greatest gift these women have given me wasn't dropped in my trick-or-treat bucket or wrapped in a bow; it's simple holiday spirit and love of family.

© 2011 Talia Renee


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

252 Views
Added on October 21, 2011
Last Updated on October 27, 2011
Tags: family, heirlooms

Author

Talia Renee
Talia Renee

CA



About
Writing is my life. Whether it's stories or screenplays, I love it. My dream is to write porfessionally for television, as well as write books as often as possible. Besides writing, I love baseball.. more..

Writing