Respect

Respect

A Story by Tammy
"

The Great Men in My Life

"

     I can count, literally on one hand the number of men in my life that have and continue to have a profound impact on my life. It has been said that all little girls want to marry their father (an expression, not literally true, but somewhat true). These men are my elders that have guided me and prepared me for life and reminded me that I deserve the very best. Very best? Yes, there are many men that I could form lasting, meaningful relationships with. There have been many men I have had all types of connections with. Some of them emotional, some spirtual and some physical. All connections none the less.  There are several men I have and could get along with, but merely getting along isn't the BEST.

     I can say that for me, the GREAT men are all representative of each other in many ways...they are men of fews words, often seen as introverted, but truly they are not. When they speak, their words are profound, literal and worth being said. They often tell tales that offer insight or guidance and sometimes in areas of my life that I don't particularly care to deal with at the time, but usually the moral I begin to understand. It isn't riddles, but reflection they offer.

     Each of these men have a commanding presence about them. You know that kind of demeanor that people are drawn to in life?  They are the kind of men whose names when mentioned are spoken with high regard and respect, never negative.  It isn't because they demand it, it is because they are men of good character and are respected for their life's work and loyalty to their families.

     Growing up I had ideas, fantasies, or fairy tales, if you will, of what I thought love was supposed to be like or feel like when it happened for me. You know the traditional fuzzy stuff and all that jazz?  All the stuff that makes you feel good, but isn't anything tangible or something you can touch? Simply a painted idea of a happily ever after. All of my ideas were based on emotions and dreams. Dreams aren't bad, everyone should have them, but what about reality? Men don't ride in on white horses to kiss the princess sleeping through the static of life to wake her up. Real men keep watch over her, love her, protect her, guide her and most importantly allow her to find her own way. They wait quietly for the princess within her to awaken.

     The men in my life that I consider to be great men are all men of this character. None has ever given me their opinion, or told me what I should or shouldn't do, they gently asked questions that prompted my to look within myself for the answers. Now as an adult, having a daughter of my own, I found myself thinking on these things. Since I am a single mother, I am aware of my responsibility of choosing men of great character that might possibly become those great men in her life someday. A great responsibility, but one in which I know will benefit her in years to come. These men will be her quiet and often unrealized fathers and elders in life. Men of great character. These men will become the standard she will eventually set for herself and what she will deem to be the best, not just someone to get along with. Thank you to the GREAT men in my life for loving me and teaching me to love myself.

    I love you all, always.

© 2009 Tammy


Author's Note

Tammy
Please ignore my grammar, spelling errors. The message is what is important.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I agree with your statement in principle (as a man), but would encourage daughters to "go beyond" the marrying-the-daddy schtick. In all my life, this hasn't happened once, but with every girl I ever dated. And it has its basis in unconsciousness, in conditioning. Most great men are *not* like their daddies.

Suggestion: try paragraphing this piece. I think breaking it up would breathe even more life into it.

Your flow of thought is also good. You kept me going beginning to end. Well done!

The best to you and your work--

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I agree with your statement in principle (as a man), but would encourage daughters to "go beyond" the marrying-the-daddy schtick. In all my life, this hasn't happened once, but with every girl I ever dated. And it has its basis in unconsciousness, in conditioning. Most great men are *not* like their daddies.

Suggestion: try paragraphing this piece. I think breaking it up would breathe even more life into it.

Your flow of thought is also good. You kept me going beginning to end. Well done!

The best to you and your work--

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

308 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 16, 2008
Last Updated on February 3, 2009

Author

Tammy
Tammy

Eustace, TX



Writing
Unless Unless

A Poem by Tammy


Cold Cold

A Poem by Tammy


That Thing That Thing

A Poem by Tammy