Don't Sweat The Small Stuff

Don't Sweat The Small Stuff

A Story by teeheeabc

I’ve been told that I’m over emotional, and that I cause bigger issues out of minuscule problems. I never believed that. Everybody I know has always told me that anything can happen, and that I shouldn’t sweat the small stuff. I never listened. Well, that was until I realized what that phrase truly meant, and how accurate it is. From that day on, that has been my life quote…I just wish I didn’t have to learn the way I did.
“Appreciate everything and everyone you have, anything can happen. Don’t sweat the small stuff.” Oh mom. She’s outside of my door, waiting for me to come out and stop being mad at her. I can’t though. She’s really done it this time. I mean, people think I’m overreacting, but I’m not. Listen, she knows how important my boyfriend is to me, and she refuses to let me go out with him tonight. Why? It’s like she wants me to be alone forever. I refuse to talk to her. She keeps telling me that anything can happen, but if anything can happen, then why doesn’t she let me see my boyfriend? I just don’t believe it.
“Appreciate everything and everyone you have, anything can happen. Don’t sweat the small stuff honey.” I can’t believe you dad. Taking mom’s side. You always take her side! It’s as if you never listen to me. You never let me do what I want if mom says It’s not okay. You never give me the benefit of the doubt. It’s as if you look at me like a leech to my mom, hanging on to her, and having to cling to her every need and want. Newsflash, that’s not how it is anymore. Now you’re telling me the same thing. Not to sweat the small stuff. This isn’t small though! This is something huge. Something incredibly huge that you guys are keeping me from. Don’t tell me not to sweat it when this is my life we’re talking about.
“Appreciate everything and everyone you have, anything can happen. Don’t sweat the small stuff lil’ sis." Of course my brother wouldn’t understand. He’s just a slob. He’s just taking our parents side because he gets whatever he wants, and never has to worry about hearing no. Nobody in my family gets it. Nobody in my family will understand that they’re ruining my life.
THIS CAN’T BE HAPPENING! I hate my family. I can’t believe that they’re doing this to me. I just want to be able to go out with my boyfriend on a nice date. Nobody understands me. I hate you guys. I hope I never have to see you guys again….
As these words came out of my mouth, the roof flew off of my house…I was seeing the dark sky. I couldn’t believe my eyes. I ran to hide. I couldn’t make it to my family. I couldn’t make it out of my room. I trapped myself under clothes, under furniture, under everything I could in my room. This natural disaster was the biggest disaster of my life…I couldn’t tell how long it went on, but I could tell you how scared I felt when it was over.
I ran out of my room to my family. I had to make sure they were okay…"Mom, dad, big brother?” I remember screaming their names as I was running through the house, but nothing…I trip and fall on the floor…I look to see what I trip on. My dad’s hand…My dad’s hand, I could tell it was, he was wearing his wedding ring…I screamed in pain and horror. What happened? Where are you guys…I was trying to imagine everything being a horrible nightmare that I was going to wake up from, but I couldn’t. I was living the nightmare.
I saw pieces of my family all around the house…I could tell they wouldn’t go without a fight, and they didn’t. With their limbs torn apart, and the house ruined, my heart broke, and I sank into a quick and deep daze. I ended up falling asleep.
Twelve years later, and I still think about that day, every single day. I regret everything. The last words I ever said about my family before the disaster occurred was that I hated them…The regret has taken over my life.
You see, by the end of that day, I heard the phrase…“Appreciate everything and everyone you have, anything can happen. Don’t sweat the small things." so many times. I thought everybody was under a spell. I thought that everybody was out to get me. I soon learned that I was just a mere child who understood nothing of the real world. That day, I became an adult. You see…I was so worked up about wanting to see my boyfriend at that time, I didn’t realize that a disaster was about to occur, and that’s why everybody was saying what they did. They were trying to protect me. They didn’t want me out and about, they wanted me next to them…
You see, I finally realized what that quote means…That day I turned from a child to an adult in the blink of an eye. I lost everybody who I was ever close to, and I regret every single thing I ever did and said to them because I didn’t appreciate what and who I had. They were everything to me, and I lost them all. I didn’t appreciate what I had. Slamming doors, stomping on floors. I didn’t appreciate who I had. Screaming I hate them and that I didn’t want to see them again. I have nothing now, except for these words. They’re imprinted in my mind. I just hope that everybody will remember this:

No matter how mad or upset you are, no matter what the situation is, appreciate who you have, and what you have. Never regret, and never go a day without showing your loved ones how you feel. Anything can happen, and you don’t want to live the rest of your life with regrets.

© 2016 teeheeabc


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

89 Views
Added on March 6, 2016
Last Updated on March 6, 2016

Author

teeheeabc
teeheeabc

About
I've been writing my whole life. Everything, anything, all things. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by teeheeabc


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by teeheeabc