Why Couldn't It Be Me?

Why Couldn't It Be Me?

A Story by teeheeabc

“You’re my best friend.” That’s what I always heard from you. That’s all I ever heard from you.
I never understood why we couldn’t be more. I always wanted to ask, but I never had the guts to. Maybe that’s why we could never be more than friends. You weren’t into guys like me. Shy guys. Guys who find it harder to stand up for themselves than to let somebody take advantage of him.
Although I’ve always wanted to be more than friends, I also cherished the fact that I had you as a friend, more than a friend, MY best friend, and I never crossed that line.
I admit, I wanted to try at times. What kind of best friend would I be though if I acted like more than a best friend, when you didn’t want that?
It’s truly unfortunate. I’ve been there for you with every heartbreak you’ve endured in your lifetime. I’ve been the one holding you when you’ve cried, I’ve been the one drying your tears, and trying my hardest, making a fool of myself, just to get you to smile. I still wonder how I wasn’t good enough to be more than a best friend.
You always told me you wanted somebody to treat you right. Every time you said those words, it was my arms you were always wrapped in. Why couldn’t you see that I was the nice guy that you were looking for? You couldn’t see past me being your friend.
At first I was bitter and heart broken. I realized though, that I can’t be sad. I have you as my best friend, and I’d rather have that than nothing at all. 
At the end of the day though, when it came down to it, my last thought before I went to sleep every night was always…Why could it never be me?
I thought I’d never get over this, but oddly I did. You see, being the nice guy doesn’t always mean that I’ll never find somebody who wants to be more than friends.
I almost lost my chance since I was so lovestruck by a girl who didn’t love me back, I almost didn’t recognize the signs of somebody else who was lovestruck by me.
I ended up getting that chance to prove to this girl that nice guys don’t always finish last, and that nice guys are actually good guys. 
My questioning has now come to an end. I found my answer…It could never be me for my best friend, because I wasn’t the one for her. I was meant to be for who I am with now. I can say I’m happy, but that’s an understatement.
Now every time I lay my head to rest, my last thought is always…Why could it never be meHow was I blessed with such a perfect angel?

© 2016 teeheeabc


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

74 Views
Added on March 6, 2016
Last Updated on March 6, 2016

Author

teeheeabc
teeheeabc

About
I've been writing my whole life. Everything, anything, all things. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by teeheeabc


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by teeheeabc