Persistance of a plan

Persistance of a plan

A Chapter by Thad Presley

Robert Samuel Wilkins ultimately burned his car the next morning. He burned it in his driveway and used gasoline to start the flame. When he lit the newspaper he looked at his watch and saw that it was 5 am.
The volunteer fire team came to put it out at precisely 6:10 am. Robert demanded an investigation. He wanted those damn kids who'd done this. When the Sheriff questioned him about it, he told him it was most likely a kid from school. "Some of them really have it out for me," he told Dale, the newly elected young sheriff. "I only wonder if it is covered by the insurance."
Two hours later the ordeal was over and the car was towed out of his driveway. The only remains of the car was a burnt place in his carport. He'd have to get that fixed he told himself. He wanted to get ride of anything that reminded him of her.

After the insurance company settled, Mr. Wilkins took a personal day from school and watched TV. He was dreading the "breaking story" at noon, where they would tell all the details about the girl found in the road," but surprisingly nothing came of it. He sat in his reclining chair and ate Cheerios without hearing a word about any of it.

It was four o'clock when the insurance agent knocked on his door. Robert opened the door offering lemonade and fresh pie, but the agent declined explaining that it was a simple matter.

"Really, Mr. Wilkins, these things happens. You have been a teacher in Crest Grove four nearly ten years now. You should be surprised that it hasn't happened before. Robert laughed a little at that statement.
"You're probably right."
"All we have to do is sign this form here. It says that this is malicious in nature and stems as an occupational threat. You do think it was a student, right?"
Robert hesitated, but just enough to make it seem honest, "really, sir,"
"Call me, Simms."
"Well, Simms, I really don't know, I did fail a few of my seniors due to attendance and poor scores. All I know is the light woke me and when I went outside it exploded and blew my flower garden all to hell."
Both men stood quiet a moment. Then Simms spoke. "You're a lucky man, if you would have failed me as a senior I'd really have been pissed."
An awkward moment passed and Simms smiled. "You do remember me, right?"
"Uh, yeah, year of 92. Holy crap. Jimmy Simms."
"Just sign this and we will take car of the rest. If you'd like we can send a rental around by this evening."
"No," Robert said quickly. "Uh, I'm out for the summer and need to stay around the house I can walk to the stores and shops from here."
"Well, if you need one before you get your check, simply call us up. It's a free service."

All was taken care of and Robert returned to his recliner. A huge weight was off of his shoulders. The car was gone, which meant the blood was gone. The girl wasn't in the news. Actually, it was unsettling. How could that beautiful girl go missing and no one know?

Night closed on the day and the prime time shows were starting to come on, but Robert wasn't interested. He sat instead looking through the newspapers. He had to find something about the girl. But there was nothing there. Slowly he dozed into a semi-conscience state and started to dream.

In his dream he saw the girl riding in the passenger seat. She was pulling his hand toward her tight and licking her lips. "You know I'm not really going to my grandmothers house?"
Robert knew this. He could read her mind now. Something he couldn't do before. He could see that she had already been a prostitute and that she had been beaten twice. He felt sorry for her. She was so smart. HE started to say something to her, but he couldn't. It was only she that did the talking.
"Thermodynamics can define in more detail the work and energy used that the conventional equations of mechanical and chemical physics."
He woke then in his reclining chair, crying. Why did she have to die?

The eleven o'clock news came on and still nothing about the girls disappearance. Robert was in total disbelief as he walked himself up the flight of stairs to his bedroom. Real sleep might help him he thought. God knows, sleeping in a chair didn't help him.

He didn't feel like taking a shower so he washed the important parts and got into bed, feeling the whole time like a zombie or like he was having an out of body experience. As soon as his head hit the pillow, his eyes slipped closed.

He didn't know how long he slept, but he was woke up by a knocking sound.

Their here, he thought, the police have put two and two together and now they're going to arrest me. He rubbed his eyes.

"knock, knock, knock"

Robert heart jumped and his mind whirled, as he realized the knocking wasn't coming from the door; it was coming from the wall just like the night before, when the demon got in him. Oh, how he wished he had not learned any spells or that he had ever seen that book of magic; but, he couldn't deny that he had always had an ability for magic and it called him; from somewhere, he knew that it called to him.

"knock, knock, knock"

Fear gripped Robert's body, his voice seized, his lungs deflated, he knew that the demon wanted back inside of him. The demon wanted control. Robert closed his eyes and tried to imagine it was all a dream, knowing it wasn't and knowing the girl was really dead, and that his car was really burnt; but, if he could shut it all out, maybe it would go away.

Suddenly, the knock came again and the bed started shaking. This unnerved Robert like he's never been before. He tried to sit up, tried to see around the room, but he couldn't move; his body had been paralyzed. In the doorway a dark figure, darker than the black room, moved against the wall. From the blackness two small white points of yellow light pierced the darkness. They were the eyes of the demon that has possessed him the night before. The dark figure loomed in the doorway looking at Robert and Robert wanted to scream.

Suddenly the bed lurched forward, closer to the dark figure and he tried harder to scream, but nothing came out. Even his voice was paralyzed with fear.

He was lying stiffly under his thin blankets, trying to pray -- which was something he hadn't honestly done in years -- when a voice came to him. It was a memory of his grandmother. His grandmother told him to,"Ask it what it wants! In Jesus' name ask it what it wants here."

But Robert couldn't talk. His voice simply wouldn't work. So he simply tried to think the name of Jesus. He thought, "Jesus Christ my Savior," but even that proved to be to difficult. But, finally after a few minutes he accomplished to think two words: Jesus Christ.

Then the figure was gone and the paralysis let go of his body. He was still weak and couldn't move like he wanted, but he knew he was alone in the room.

The memory of Victoria burst in his head like a bubble that had only been waiting the right time. Everything about her came to life in him and he seen her smile, her walk, seen how she had had a crush on him; then, he saw he face after the smashed it with a rock, and her body as it burned in the road; he saw everything, she was a beautiful woman and would never know life again.

He weeped and sobbed uncontrolablly for an hour, but eventually lost strength even to cry; and slowly his eyes closed to find sleep. He knew he would find it this time and morning would dawn and it would be a new day. He hoped her body would be found and that she would get a decent burial. He wished that she had another chance in life. He wished so much and none of it was going to happen.

As sleep started to overtake him, he let our one more sob for the girl he had murdered.

Then,

"KNOCK, KNOCK, KNOCK"
 



© 2008 Thad Presley


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

220 Views
Added on August 22, 2008
Last Updated on August 22, 2008


Author

Thad Presley
Thad Presley

Wartburg, TN



About
You can link to me on Myspace. I have a desire to write for a small company, I have edited published novels and written Christian screenplays. Faith Writers, I have a list of my services atThe Word S.. more..

Writing