Good morning

Good morning

A Chapter by theKansasginger
"

The township of Liberal Warrenton in Osage Beach, Missouri wakes up on a typical sunday morning in the summertime, just as the seasons start to change, the world will too.

"
It was a normal, hot August day in Missouri. The sun peeked through the blinds of the large bedroom of a large house. In this large room, there was a giant bed in the far end of the room. 
Next to the bed there was a dresser, next to the dresser, there was a small desk. On the opposite side of the room there was another chest of drawers, little odds and ends stacked on top, and a small black television sit on the chest of drawers. with a lamp propped on top. On the other end of the room, in front of the closet, a hammock was strung up with a person lounging inside it. This person was a young woman, an oldest sister.
In the giant bed, there were two girls, a seventeen year old and an eight year old. 
The person in the hammock was named Rachel, Rachel Marlene Shrader. She had just turned 21. Rachel gave up her bed, for her younger sisters when they moved out to Osage from the city. Rachel built the hammock for herself, after one night with the three of them in the bed, Rachel wasn't up to dealing with the close quarters. 
The older girl in the bed was AnnaBelle. Rachel's younger sister. AnnaBelle was sweet, innocent, kind, a genuinely good soul. Rachel would walk through fire to protect her sister. 
The youngest girl, was an eight year old named Zoe. Darling Zoe was an orphan. 
Before the Shrader family had left Kansas City, Ben, the father had been out on a beer run(Rachel's birthday was the next day. She wasn't allowed to go see her friends. So Ben figured, why not?), when he passed a Quick Shop. There were two people being robbed, the store owner had promptly shot them "F****n Liberals! Tryin' ta ta-il me I cain't curray MA damn gun! No I ain' gon help ya!" he drunkenly howled. Going back inside to his shop. Ben could see Zoe, hiding under the family's car. Trembling. 
Ben waited until it was clear, and he went to go check on Zoe. "Hello. Are you alright?" Ben asked. Zoe shook her head. Ben crouched down so he could look Zoe in the eye. "Sweetheart? would you like some help?" Ben asked softly. "I've got two girls and a boy at home. And my wife... THey'll take good care of you. You'll be alright" he said kindly. Ben watched as Zoe's big brown eyes pondered for a moment. Zoe nodded, Ben helped her up, brushed the dirt off her clothes and walked home with her. 
Catharine(Or Cat) was Ben's wife. The mother of Rachel, the son Jeremy , and the youngest AnnaBelle. When Ben brought little Zoe home Cat was initially cautious. "We can't keep her Ben. We're moving next week" Cat whispered. The children let Zoe sleep in Rachel's bed. Rachel let Zoe use her as a pillow, the little girl cuddled her, closer as Zoe cried. She mourned the loss of her mother and father. AnnaBelle sat beside them. And Jeremy sat on the foot of the bed, silently watching. Keeping guard over them. Cat shared a look with Ben, "We'll keep her". 
Rachel rolled out of her hammock, she frowned. "Mornin' " AnnaBelle greeted. "Morning" rachel smiled. "How is that kid still asleep?" Rachel asked. "Zoe slept through the move out here. And some of the raids. She'll be fine" AnnaBelle commented. Rachel shook her head, smiling slightly. She casually walked to her dresser, pulling out a tank top, and black jeans. She ducked into the closet to change. "Hey... Rachel... be careful OK?". Rachel popped her head out, "What'd ya mean?" she asked. "Dad says that... it's gettin' bad out there" AnnaBelle said timidly. "You worry too much kid. I'm gonna be fine" Rachel smiled reassuringly. Telling a little white lie to her concerned baby sister was OK right?'
 She finished getting dressed, and carefully crawled out of the closet. Rachel found her old brown leather jacket, she lightly kissed the top of AnnaBelle's head. "I'll be fine kid. Watch out for the littles. Mom'll be on the war path. It's a Sunday you know" Rachel teased. AnnaBelle smiled, "Alright". 
Once Rachel tiptoed(As quietly as one can tip toe wearing boots) down the stairs and outside she ducked into the garage. Her grandfather's old hunting rifle (which was technically illegal to own) was waiting for her. As was someone else.
Ben Shrader, still in his pajamas, placed his arms across his chest. "And where? Do you think you're going young lady?" . Rachel paused for a second. Attempting to come up with a good lie. Ben just nodded, "Uh huh... Rachel... you can't keep doin' this" Ben frowned. "We need to stalk up on meat. You know that". "Yeah but you shouldn't have to do it" Ben scolded. "Dad... people have been saying it's gonna get worse. We have mom, Jer, Anna, and Zoe. None of whom are that able fighters... We can use meat for trade" Rachel began. Ben silenced her with a look.  He thought for a moment. Rachel's cause was noble. That was her vice. Her nobility was sometimes her problem. Rachel was a heroic person and would protect her family. With a simple look from her father, With those sweet, green eyes. Ben frowned. His oldest was going to get his way. Again. "Fine... just go... and don't let your mother catch you! You know how she gets on sundays" Ben reasoned.  Rachel squealed gleefully. She pecked her father's cheek. "Thanks Pop! You're the best" she smiled. Scampering off into the woods.
Rachel loved the woods in the Ozark valley. It was beautiful. Green, everywhere. Home. She found her favorite tree. And crawled up. Looking for anything.
"Come on. Come on", she groaned. Getting impatient.  She'd check her mother's fish nets if nothing else came across.
Rachel checked her watch. "Damn!". She cursed. Time to run. 
Rachel jumped down off the tree, making a mental note to check the fish at the end of the day. "D****t! d****t! D****t!" She cursed. 


© 2013 theKansasginger


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

150 Views
Added on March 14, 2013
Last Updated on March 14, 2013


Author

theKansasginger
theKansasginger

Saint Cloud, MN



About
*RECENT* HOLY COW I FORGOT ABOUT THIS! Hi! Uhm I'm Meredith. Graduateed college! Trying to actually use my degree :) more..

Writing