This little light of mine.

This little light of mine.

A Chapter by theKansasginger
"

"On any Sunday here we'll be. Raising our voices in harmony" A continuation of chapter one. More of an exploration of the world.

"
Rachel slipped into the garage of her ranch house. Attempting to be silent. When her father, now dressed stood by the ice box. 
"Empty handed?" he asked. Rachel shrugged, "If I had more time" Rachel muttered. There was a loud AHEM! behind her that made Rachel frown, she didn't even flinch. "Hi Mom" Rachel smiled innocently. Cat frowned. "That look may work on your father but not me. Get inside. And get showered and change. We don't want you looking like a vagrant!" Cat scolded. RAchel mock saluted her mother and scampered inside , to leave Ben and Cat arguing in the garage. 
In the kitchen, breakfast was being made. "I'm helping!" Zoe cheered. She was standing on top of the counter. Surveying. She wore an old dress of AnnaBelle's, white, with a blue ribbon around the waist.  Her hair was up in braided pigtails and she wore a pair of two sizes too big brown boots. 
AnnaBelle was actually cooking. She wore her long vibrant hair down, her dress was also white, but strapless, formfitting along her blossoming teenage body. She wore a pair of brown flip flops and had a hibiscus flower pinned in her hair. "Looks good" Rachel mused, her sister was making toast and eggs. "Hurry up and go shower and change so you can eat" AnnaBelle instructed. Rachel grabbed a piece of toast and stuck it in her mouth. Shrugging. "HEY!" ANnaBelle protested. 
Jeremy was sitting at the table, he wore a short sleeved button up shirt, and pair of light denim pants, and brown shoes. "You know Rach. SHe's like the human stomach" he teased. Rachel covered Zoe's eyes then flipped Jeremy the bird. 
After showering off the grime of the woods, Rachel wrapped herself up in a towel and made her way into the girls' bedroom. 
Her mother had laid out a white cotton sundress, with cap sleeved, a Peter Pan style color, and black piping all along the hemlines. Rachel sighed, "Whatever ma. Good thing I shaved today" she muttered. 
Rachel slipped on the dress easily. Accept she struggled to reach the zipper in the back. When there was a knock at the door. "Hey. IT's Dad. You OK?". "Can you come help me with this?" Rachel asked.
Ben smiled, "You look great" he commented. "I look silly. I hate wearing this stuff" Rachel grumbled. Ben zipped up the back of her dress easily. "There. That's a good look on you sweetheart". "I miss my pants" Rachel frowned. "Stop grumbling. And Enjoy it. You look nice. I should warn you, your mother may try and set you up". Rachel rolled her eyes expressively. "Aw DAD!" she whined, turning to face him. "I know. I felt the same way. But ... just humor her. Put on your shoes. You're singing with the choir today" Ben stated. "I know. I... Fine" Rachel said quickly. She pulled out a pair of dark brown mules. "You know... it seems like just yesterday I was bouncin' you on my knee, and taking you for walks at Grover Park" Ben mused. Rachel smiled, "Don't go soft on me pop". She replied. He chuckled. "Allow an old man to indulge huh?". "Aw Pop you're not old.... not as old as you think you are" Rachel smiled, she planted a kiss on her father's cheek. And pulled him out of the room.
"I'm worried" Ben mused. "About what?" Rachel asked. "Yesterday... the uh... the people at the courthouse... wouldn't let me in'. They told me to stay home... and wait" Ben replied. "Why?" Rachel asked. "What more can they do Dad?" Rachel asked. Ben put his arm around his oldest daughter. "Rachel... Unfortunately... they can do quite a bit more to us" he replied honestly as they caught up with the rest of the family. Ben picked Zoe up in his other arm, as they walked on through their street.
The Shraders are one family of many in this neighborhood. There were many others joining them. Ben waved to an old man, a doctor , a former colleague at the hospital in Kansas City named Dale Kessler.  "How're you all this fine sunday?" he asked. "Good Mr. Dale" Zoe chimed in. "That's Doctor Dale" he said in a mocking serious tone. "OK Mr. Dr. Dale" she said as a matter of factly. Cat smiled, "We've all been well Dale. Thank you. How about yourself?" Cat asked. "Been gettin' by".
The group made it to the building. An abandoned superTarget at the top of the hill. It acted as a meeting place for the people of the township. As today was Sunday, they would hold a church service. Run by a French missionary who came to the US after the war broke up, his name was Jean Michel. He had short black hair, as well as a 5 o clock shadow he sported regularly. Jean wore white, long sleeved shirts, dark pants, and black shoes. As the group filed in Jean surveyed his group. The Shraders were filing in, up front. To keep up appearances. 
"Hello to all of you, my friends. Welcome to this happy place. I am very glad to see us so full'". Ben, Cat, Rachel, Jeremy, AnnaBelle, and Zoe all were listening quietly. Zoe doodling innocently on a piece of paper. 
"We are all unfortunate victims of circumstance. TO be in this awful place. But the fact that we have found each other. That should be celebrated. Because while, we may struggle, we can always find happiness" Jean lectured, Rachel found herself dozing off. Daydreaming about the woods. "A light! A beacon in our darkness" . That was the cue for the song. Everyone stood. Members of the choir filed in, Rachel and her friend Naya stood in the front.
This little Light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine
This little Light of mine, I"m gonna let it shine
This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine
Let it shine. Let it shine Let it shine.

Everywhere I go, I'm gonna let it shine
Everywhere I go, I'm gonna let it shine
Everywhere I go, I'm gonna let it shine
Let it shine, Let it shine, Let it shine.
 
Rachel and Naya sang the second verse as a duet. Naya had a soft soprano that could soar up into the rafters. Rachel had a beautiful full alto, that harmonized and blended well with Naya's. Naya was a young Latina. She wore a sky blue sundress to set off her light caramel skin, and her black as night hair.  Naya had been best friends with Rachel since before the group was forced into relocation. They grew up together. 
Rachel took her seat again, beside her mother once the song was over. Cat pecked her cheek. "That was lovely darling" she whispered. Everyone clapped. And cheered. 
That's why it was so distracting when the door burst open and men in uniforms stomped their way through the doors.


© 2013 theKansasginger


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

*Mules should be oxfords :)

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

149 Views
1 Review
Added on March 15, 2013
Last Updated on March 15, 2013


Author

theKansasginger
theKansasginger

Saint Cloud, MN



About
*RECENT* HOLY COW I FORGOT ABOUT THIS! Hi! Uhm I'm Meredith. Graduateed college! Trying to actually use my degree :) more..

Writing