Where I Belong

Where I Belong

A Story by TheMadnessWithin
"

As I reached the water, its cold presence swept over my feet and engulfed me as I sunk deeper into its being. Surrounded by the darkness I swam to the surface, laid my self on the board, and paddled

"

    The morning sun peeked through the rough screen of our pop up camper, flickering across my light eyelashes. Abruptly I woke, squinting at the power of light shining in my eyes. Concerned from the events of my dreams, a smile swept my face as I realized my actual surroundings. Outside the camper I could just make out several young children making their way to the spicket to brush their teeth. They skipped along wearing their loose flip flops and fitting bathing suits. 

     Quickly I began to stir, packing in a towel, sun screen, and board wax. In a moments notice I slipped on my bathing suit, and quietly slipped out the door without waking the camper's slumbered occupants.

     Smiling exuberantly as the sun swept my face, I grabbed my surf board excitedly and made my way to the boardwalk. Having forgotten to wear shoes, each step I took was accompanied by the pinch of splintered wood piercing my callused feet. 

    Quickening my pace, I gradually broke into a run, straight up the boardwalk until I reached the peak of the dunes. I stood for a moment taking in the beauty before me. The sharp smell of saltwater pierced my nose as the misty air left water trick lets on my face. Just then a sharp wind hit the beach and several sea gulls swooped down to the sand, snapping up their daily breakfast. Along the horizon the sun had just risen, portraying a red glow that reflected across the coarse waves of the sea.

     I breathed the salty air in deeply, as if I hadn't breathed fresh air since Id left. As the air expanded in my lungs, I smiled at the sea, thankful that there was still one place on earth I could feel truly whole and healthy. As a roll of wind swept by the shore a wave came upon it. I could almost feel the water call me. The waves beckoning me to join them, to reunite with the other half of myself that lived among the them.

     In a rapid motion I ran down the sandy hill, hugging my surfboard snuggly to my side. As I reached the water, its cold presence swept over my feet and engulfed me as I sunk deeper into its being. Surrounded by the darkness I swam to the surface, laid my self on the board, and paddled off into the endless waves of the distance.

© 2013 TheMadnessWithin


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A refreshing moment in time, a created memory frozen by words and scents in vivid imagery.

Thanks for the share.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

TheMadnessWithin

10 Years Ago

thank u for the comment:)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

286 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 22, 2013
Last Updated on May 28, 2013
Tags: ocean surf sun beach nature

Author

TheMadnessWithin
TheMadnessWithin

New York City, NY



About
I’m not much of a talker in real life. I’d be the one sitting in the corner reading a book. I prefer to keep to myself and only write when I feel the need to get something off my mind. If .. more..

Writing