One

One

A Chapter by Yes
"

There's a character shift.

"

Cyra sighed as she packed up her easel and paints. The day was not nearly as productive as it could have been, too many distractions for her to work properly. The hustle and bustle of the market square which she usually found quite inspirational stole her attention, and what was sure to have been one of the most beautiful sunsets of the year was hidden by the towering buildings and high walls of the city. She shook her head, and picked up her gear to begin the twenty minute walk back to the room where she was staying.

"Pierce!" She called out to the little creature following her. He turned, scampering after the call. "Do I always have to keep track of you?" She said as she smiled, the love for the little creature showing in her voice.

The trail she walked became narrower as it wound into the heart of the city, and the buildings became smaller. It was like walking back into time, into what the city used to be, before the bombs or the trains. Simplicity, novelty and history were her tools of the trade just as much as the paint or brushes. Cyra had a knack for painting the city and the people as they might have appeared over one hundred years ago, and that put the bread on the table and a roof over her head. Most of the time.

Wearily, she pushed the door open to the old, wooden house and walked up the stairs. Setting her belongings down inside one of the doors, she returned downstairs with the hopes of a warm meal or a friendly face.

"Now that's a curious little creature." Lou said as Cyra entered the kitchen with Pierce. S**t. Cyra thought to herself, Blake said not to let Lou see.

"Yeah. He sure is." Cyra replied.

"Saethies are not very common. Where did you get him?" Lou asked.

"Someone paid for a painting with him. Do you know much about them? I really don't." She said, deciding such a lie would do far less harm than the truth.

"That's quite an unusual way to pay for a painting. I'm guessing he was unattached, or else he wouldn't be here. Why would you trade one of your beautiful paintings for a little round ball and a promise that it would unfurl itself into such an amazing little creature?" Lou asked, his aged face lighting up with a curious smile.

"I'd had that painting for quite some time, he was the first person to show any interest. I figured I wasn't going to sell it, so why not take the little creature. Actually, I think Pierce has been one of the best things for my business. He attracts so many customers." She said, petting his olive colored fur happily.

"You know, I've never seen a blind one before."

"I didn't know it was that uncommon. Can you tell me a bit more about Saethies?" Cyra asked again.

Lou grinned, twinkling eyes framed by the beginnings of wrinkles. "Oh sure. I'm sure you've already figured some of this out on your own, but it couldn't hurt to tell you what's normal. Saethies are a Japanese-engineered species which is roughly the cross between a cat and a fox, though there are many more genes in the mix. They are billed as the perfect pet �" they do not need to eat, do not produce waste, shed or die, normally. They thrive on minerals and nutrients in the air. Aside from that sustenance, they require only one thing �" affection from the person they are attached to.

"They attach to which ever person holds them first, as long as that person does not already have a Saethie attached to them. After a very short while, they will unfurl themselves and become the sweet little creature you see here, in miniature. Then he grows to be just this big, and will continue to be just like a kitten until you die. You see, these creatures have very few weaknesses �" just suffocation, fire and separation from the person to which they are attached."

"Wow, these little guys are sure something." Cyra said, stroking the small creature. Why did Blake say Lou shouldn't see Pierce? Could either of them know about me? She thought, staring into Lou's eyes. Impossible. They couldn't. I would have known, would have felt them, if they were too. However, I have been rather disconnected lately...

"Cyra, you seem rather lost today." Lou commented, looking back at her with concern.

"Yeah, I guess I'm just a bit preoccupied. I had a client tell me his whole life story today, and it wasn't very happy." She lied. "I'm going back upstairs. When Blake comes in, can you send him up?" Cyra said before retreating to the room, her little Saethie in tow.

"Now who, or what, does she think she is, ordering me about in my own home?" Lou muttered laughingly to himself, a knowing smile on his weathered face.  



© 2012 Yes


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

156 Views
Added on May 23, 2012
Last Updated on May 23, 2012


Author

Yes
Yes

MI



About
22 / Female / Fine Arts Major (Theatre/Web Design/Arts Management) I write for me, and I'm here to share it with the internet. It will be full of typos and strange, strange grammatical errors, .. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Yes


Two Two

A Chapter by Yes


Three Three

A Chapter by Yes