Deception

Deception

A Story by Dr. Tim Williams
"

What we are eating today is actually a health hazard

"

For some time now almost all of the food that we buy in grocery stores has been altered is some way or another. In other words genetically modified or as they say GMO is the term used today. I for one don't relish the idea of eating genetically altered or modified food of any sort but, today with a company called Monsanto having a monopoly of seed production the food we eat already has been genetically modified in some way or another. Take for instance Soy. What Monsanto has done with soy beans has caused many people to think twice about what they are eating. In most cases what we are eating today is a major contributor to a whole slew of ailments and diseases. The problem today stems form the fact that soy is found in so many food products and is the most common genetically modified organism in all of our food supply. It has been altered to withstand the applications of herbicides. Just imagine we are eating foods with traces of Roundup already infested in the soy products in our food. Talk about killing the Goose that laid the golden egg. Well people, we are the geese that are laying the golden eggs in our whole economy with our consumer spending. And when we die off who is left to buy products? 

 
Today our own government is complicit in allowing Monsanto to operate with full impunity knowing that GMO food is directly linked with so many health concerns all across the nation. To date Monsanto isn't required to label food with GMO labels. The company continues to lack adequate FDA/USDA safety testing. They continue to block governmental regulations. They are guilty of false advertising not to mention scientific fraud. There has been countless small independent farmers that have gone out of business. It is a well known fact that Monsanto's GMO foods when put to laboratory test without a doubt cause cancer, sterility, miscarriages and seizures. To think that GMO foods increase crop yields think again because they don't.

 

Genetically modified seeds that are engineered in laboratories all over the world have infiltrated into the crops of corn, soy, rice and wheat which make up much of the food we eat. More than 98% of the corn, soybean and cotton crops grown in the United States have been genetically modified to resist pesticides or insects,. Corn and soy are the most common ingredients for feed to our livestock and in the other food that is processed for human consumption. The Agriculture Department is consistently approving  more genetically engineered food sources. This is coming at the same time that the Food and Drug Administration will approve fast-growing genetically modified salmon for human consumption latter this year or the next. This is only the start of a long list of genetically modified food groups that will be integrated into the worlds food chain.
 
The biggest issue is that our government and the large biotech corporations have purposely withheld vital information concerning the dangers of genetically modified foods from the mainstream media and outside of the publics awareness. Contrary to what is now being considered the greatest answer to combating Global Hunger Genetically Modified foods actually don't. What's worse is that these food sources that have been modified pose more health concerns than previously reported and our publics safety is in serious jeopardy because we are being inundated with these types of foods in virtually every thing we buy at the grocery store.
 
Agribusiness and the seed companies say their products help boost crop production, lower prices at the grocery store and feed the world, particularly in developing countries. That's the plus but the down side pretty much negates the positive because of all the pollution that is the by product of GMO food sources. The FDA and USDA say the engineered foods they've approved are safe. So safe, they don't even need to be labeled and as such can't be significantly distinguished from conventional varieties. This is only the tip of the iceberg in the scope of the reality of how far our own government and large corporations are going to deny any aspect of the dangers of genetically modified food whether it is in the feed for animals or in the product themselves. When in the United States some farmers have come out in saying that thousands of pigs, cows, or bulls all experienced severe reproductive complications and even hundreds have died after consuming feed that was composed of GMO corn. In India, most of the buffalo that ate GM cottonseed experienced the same type of reproductive complications and died as a result of GM feed. As a little known footnote in the United States population is the incidence of low both weight babies, infant mortality, and infertility are all escalating which coincides with the increasing GMO food intake among the population.
 
The Genetically Modified proteins produced in GM soy, corn, wheat, and even papayas all have properties of known allergens and actually fail the allergy screening protocol recommended by the World Health Organization. Creating GMO  will introduce new allergies and elevate existing ones. Both GM soy and corn contain new unintended allergenic proteins and GM soy has as much as seven times higher levels of a natural soy allergen. Herbicide tolerant GM crops have considerably more residues of toxic herbicides which provokes more allergic reactions. This also triggers the immune system to be compromised not only in animals that feed on GM soy or corn but in humans as well.
 
Organic food companies, chefs and consumer groups have all stepped up their efforts, so far, unsuccessfully, to get the government to exercise more oversight and increase public awareness of engineered foods. These groups have been encouraged by a growing network of consumers who are wary of processed and modified foods that are appearing more frequent in store all across the country.  Many acknowledge that there isn't much solid evidence showing genetically modified foods are somehow dangerous or unhealthy. This is because of the enormous influence that the large biotech corporations have in refuting any claim that states or proves genetically modified food is harmful for human consumption.  "If you mess with nature there's a side effect somewhere," says George Siemon, CEO of Organic Valley, the nation's largest organic farming cooperative. "There is a growing awareness that our system makes us all guinea pigs of sorts." What is so disturbing is that our own government and these large biotech firms remain steadfast in their assertion that GM food is the "Godsend" in fighting hunger. This is in light of the facts that are proving the dangers of GM foods to both animals and humans is becoming to conclusive to deny any longer.
 
Deceptive in almost every way our glorious food. The food is planted, grown, harvested, prepared, consume, and taken for granted that the supply will always be available in our supermarkets is not what we think it is. That being wholesome, beneficial, and nutritious for our consumption. The general public is being and has been deceived about what we eat. today. Gone are the days of the rural farmers where their crops were immediately disbursed into the neighborhood communities for immediate sale. Today the whole food industry is being run by big conglomerates and the corporate farms have long since replaced the individual farmer. To exemplify what has taken place in the production of food let's take a look at what is actually in a box of Special K cereal. There is Wheat Gluten, Salt, High Fructose, Corn syrup, Rice, Malt flavoring, Sugar etc. Now the ingredients that are in a box of Chicken Helper. We have Wheat Flour, Niacin, Corn Starch, Monosodium Glutamate, Sodium Phosphate, etc. All of these are a direct result of Genetically Modified methods. This is just a small sample of what we eat every day. What has transpired in the last 25 years in the production of our food has a direct impact of the rate of obesity, diabetes, heart disease, cancer, and a whole other assortment of other ailments and illnesses that are affecting our population.
 
In almost every thing we eat either has added fructose, corn syrup of some other artificial preservative that has caused our health care industry and businesses billions of dollars of lost time and production due to the huge volume of medical effects of what is put into our food supply. Years ago we could always count on what we ate as the actual product without the added preservatives. The beef we ate was grazed and the dairy products were always fresh. In fact most everything that was consumed by the general public was more nutritious in every aspect. With the advent of the corporate farms the soil that supports our crops have been depleted of the nutrients that are so necessary for any crop to produce the healthful benefits that are so necessary for overall health and nutrition . The soil must be given time to replenish the nutrients that are consumed by growing crops, which hasn't been done for the past 20 years or more. This is one of the biggest factors in the escalating rate of health related illnesses. The lack of proper nutrition in our food supply.

The population of the United States can no longer afford or relay on the current method the way our food industry processes the food supply. It is time our own government acknowledges the hard truth that GM of our food is undermining the health and safety of our population. Change is most urgently needed if we are to regain our health and stave off financial disaster due to the rising costs of the health concerns that are a direct link to our food supply, consumption and production. Education is crucial is detailing what is actually in the food we eat. It starts with the knowledge of what is beneficial for us not just some ingredient that are inscribed on the boxes of cereal or other food source. Every person has to take some responsibility for their own health and enlighten themselves of the benefits of the right choices of nutrition, exercise, and illness prevention to maintain a healthy and productive lifestyle.

The FDA, major biotech corporations and corporate farmers all have to find ways to restore the natural balance of the soil for healthy crops, restore the feeding of our beef and livestock, to one of what is healthy for our consumption and stop the madness of genetically modifying any food source. Not the current way where this industry uses every unhealthy practice and food source for the sole purpose to increase profits at the expense of the health of the population. It is vital that we start to change immediately: To wait any longer is catastrophic for the future of the United States.
 
The best way to start is to revisit history. What worked centuries ago is a viable source to secure proper nutrition in our food supply today. The ancient Chinese practiced growing natural soybean plants knowing that these plants would regenerate and rejuvenate the soil for other crops to have the natural nutritional value. They learned to make fermented forms of soy such as natto, miso, tempeh and tamari all of which are used as vital nutrients for the human body. Now, when we genetically modify soy, corn and wheat the natural the nutrients are missing leaving the human body to lack the proper nutrients to fight off disease. Since 1996 Monsanto has only increased it's production of GMO food sources and with it our nation has seen a drastic rise in cancer, and so many other health related illnesses. And, yet where is the out pouring of support to understand that the food we are eating today is actually detrimental to our nations health.



 
 

© 2016 Dr. Tim Williams


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

254 Views
Added on August 12, 2016
Last Updated on August 12, 2016
Tags: Food, Monsanto, GMO

Author

Dr. Tim Williams
Dr. Tim Williams

Tampa, FL



About
A feature writer for the Tampa Bay Examiner. Founded the Department of Economic Development for the cities of Salem and Brockton, Mass. more..

Writing