Nature's Wrath

Nature's Wrath

A Story by Dr. Tim Williams
"

We have come to realize that Climate Change increases the risk of hostility and conflict. Today's rising sea levels are already covering coastal landscapes all over the globe forcing people from

"
It was the spring of 2011 that was long remembered by the sheer magnitude and horror of so many violent tornadoes that ripped through the Mid-West and parts of the eastern portion of the United States. With the massive flooding of the Mississippi River from Illinois all the way down to New Orleans created a catastrophic disaster. It seems that every spring has seen it's share of violent storms where torrential rain causes immense suffering and loss of life. Then again we have drought conditions in not only other parts of our country but through-out the world.
 
We have come to realize that Climate Change increases the risk of hostility and conflict. Today's rising sea levels are already covering coastal landscapes all over the globe forcing people from their homes. Globally we are seeing what is now called climate change refugees. With drought conditions that have become more intense exacerbate shortages of fresh water and food. As a result the increase competition for resources have already created mass migrations and escalated tensions through-out the whole world. 
 
In understanding the impact of the climate change today is to know that one of the implications has given rise to the instability in Nigeria, exploited by the terrorist group Boko Haram. Drought and subsequent food shortages not only escalated soaring food prices it has helped fuel the early unrest in Syria. And, now with that country torn by civil war and the rise of ISIS has unleashed grave risks not only to the global economy but also has had disastrous effects on humanity as well. In the United States it has not been since the 1920's that this country experienced the wrath of nature in so many places in such a short period of time. In the wake of all this devastation left a major portion of the United States virtually helpless. Too many lives lost, so much destruction, and far too many livelihoods ruined has resulted back then and now again in the 21st century. Man induced climate change is attributed to a global quagmire of so much misery and death?
 
Through-out the ages mankind has continued to disrupt natures delicate balance. In doing so man has laid the groundwork for natural disasters that have reshaped our world. Every nation has and is guilty of some environmental atrocity of one kind or another. Purposely or not man continues to pollute, destroy, and strip away our environment without any thought of the consequences of our actions, and now of our inactions to ease the devastation. To speculate that the earth is going through it's normal cycle of climate change as the reason why there are so many outbreaks of violent storms, extended periods of drought, earthquakes, or massive flooding is just too coincidental.

Monetary constraints always dictate reactions of any disruption in the environment caused by mans interference. Mankind's tragedies are steeped with the blatant disregard for the environment, nature, and all the earths inhabitants. Even with all the technology available today more pollution than in any other period in history is continually being dumped into our rivers, waterways, lakes, and oceans causing catastrophic damage to marine life, costal inhabitants, all economies through-out the world. The need is very apparent, the technology is available, and the resources can be provided to eliminate the global pollution that is threatening our very own existence.

What has occurred through-out the planet when man continues to drain oil reservoirs, water tables, coal deposits and other minerals that constitutes our reliability on fossil fuels from the earth creates vast voids that contribute to the shifting of the earths plates along the lithosphere resulting in earthquakes, tsunamis, and even sink holes that cause horrific damage to man and nature. Also, we have to realize what mankind has done to the tropical rain forests of the Amazon. The destruction and almost complete annihilation of the earths greatest resource of climate stability, now has turned it into the planets greatest threat of global climate instability.

By not capitalizing on the already abundant, self replenishing, and environmentally sound sources of renewable energy mankind has reduced the earths climates ability to remain stable. Sure, through-out history the planet has experienced climate change but with mans continued escalation of the consumption of fossil fuels only increases and accelerates a shift in the earths climate. When climates changes drastically within a relatively short period of time major disruptions occur around the globe more frequently and with greater intensity resulting in more horrific human suffering, rendering nature and the environment almost helpless in restoring stability. All this while the costs to restore balance and stability now far exceed the cost that could have been spent to prevent these disasters from happening in the first place.

All that is needed is the will of nations to once and for all band together to resolve that the earths climate is directly linked and influenced by mans interference. To slow down the acceleration of global warming, to end the catastrophic pollution, and restore our depleted forests every nation must aid in the restoration of the earths delicate balance. This, so that mankind will now be able to end the enormous human suffering that is cause for more aggression and destabilization of nations through-out the world. This can all be done using the technology available today thereby eliminating the power sources of the first and second Industrialization. The availability of solar, wind, hydro electric, magnetic power and other green sources are readily available now. All that is needed is the political will to make them more accessible and affordable.  The ability to restore the earths balance of nature is within reach. And, in doing so just might alleviate the many human tragedies that have placed man on the brink of falling back into the caves of the Neanderthal.
 
 

 

© 2017 Dr. Tim Williams


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

110 Views
Added on April 1, 2017
Last Updated on April 1, 2017
Tags: climate change, nature

Author

Dr. Tim Williams
Dr. Tim Williams

Tampa, FL



About
A feature writer for the Tampa Bay Examiner. Founded the Department of Economic Development for the cities of Salem and Brockton, Mass. more..

Writing