In-between Time

In-between Time

A Poem by ...

I wanted to calm the restlessness

in the tree tops

moving like a pair of empty hands

with nothing to do

while an opaque sky

arranged twigs in the water.


The flames have mellowed over the years,

their shadows

between sleep and wakefulness

where all is just a murmur--

a time ripple

in a passing static that does not harm.


I try to hear the music the light plays

on the water now,

the flat wave adagio

on the back of a stream,

and let it carry me to a place

where the stillness opens its arms

to the wayward waft of leaves

setting into its serene


My mind goes with it,

the part that finds the gauged holes

in a landscape,

that says that idle fingers,

and the things that slip through them

are just a part of nature;

that a squall in the wind

that taunts the flame

has no mind of what made it stir

© 2016 ...


Author's Note

...
I often jot down thoughts, just random thoughts, so I don't forget them..
So anyway, this is a patchwork of some of those thoughts and I still haven't felt a title for it yet. Thanks for reading.
P.s. thank you, Jacob, for inspiring the title :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

everybody's going: to me this means this and this means that but who can tell what really goes on in the mind of a poet?
I see a meticulous choice of words, beautiful imagery, exquisite writing. and I feel a great serenity enveloping me at the end. thank you Lynn. no need for my medication tonight.

Posted 7 Years Ago


...

7 Years Ago

Awwww...Woody, that is so sweet :) Thank you for such a wonderful review and for always making me sm.. read more
To me, this is about aging in a way that it graceful and at one with nature; being able to enjoy the landscape around you and soak in the peaceful moments. I'm getting there, my friend, but I am not in this place quite yet, although I can enjoy the moments for short spaces of time.
"
My mind goes with it,
the part that finds the gauged holes
in a landscape,
that says that idle fingers,
and the things that slip through them
are just a part of nature;"

This is the part that speaks to me the most..the part of not trying to hold each moment tightly but to let them flow gently. Beautiful Lynn.

Posted 7 Years Ago


...

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much Jan, for such a lovely review :)
This is beautiful and so descriptive. Thank you for sharing. Wolf_Lord ,'', ^@@^ ,'',

Posted 8 Years Ago


...

8 Years Ago

And thank you for reading. WL :)
I have read this poem several times over the past week...

It reads like a memory. I can remember sitting on a rock beside a forest stream listening to the sounds of the natural world. The eye wanders skyward to the dancing limbs of White Oaks and Tulip Poplars... It feels like the wind is speaking to your heart in these moments.

You poetry brings this memory back to life. Like an animation of a childhood toy... Yet, you remind us this is no game or frivolous thought. These moments are the serum of life. The glue between all meaning is the observation of every moment we are privileged enough to comprehend.

Thank you for sharing your artistry.

Posted 8 Years Ago


...

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for reading and sharing your thoughts :)
This is for me like looking at a work of abstract landscape. I get the ambience and the mood. I like it!
Well done.
If you have time would you read my poem 'creation'
Thanks, alan

Posted 8 Years Ago


...

8 Years Ago

I'm glad you do...thank you :)
I definitely got the patchwork pattern of your pondering here. Sometimes I can't follow poems that aren't straightforward & linear, but this one, I totally get. It's like taking a walk with my dogs, nothing on my mind, just having my attention grabbed by whatever thing one of the dogs is investigating. Check this out . . . oh look over here . . . all your descriptions are so gentle & lyrical, it's a peaceful walk thru well-crafted imagery.

Posted 8 Years Ago


...

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much :)
The stillness warbles as a lullabye.

Serenity abounds in this poem - and yet those final three lines; painted right there at the very tail like a counterpoint planted in the soil...

I believe I like it :)

Thanks for sharing, lynn

Posted 8 Years Ago


...

8 Years Ago

I believe I am honored. Thank you, Charlie :)
So many gargantuan phrases, beautiful, crystal clear yet with touches of mystery for the reader to explore!

'The flames have mellowed over the years, - their shadows between sleep and wakefulness - where all is just a murmur-- ' and more, much more, ' .. that says that idle fingers, - and the things that slip through them - are just a part of nature; - '

Life is growth both from the Earth and Self. Perhaps. What we see, what we feel, how we're made to notice the smallest gasps of change all around us.. tis what makes us even more the unique One. Maybe?

Your phrasing gently prompts this reader to understand: mini cues, teeny nudges.. to be aware, to experience, to grow., slowly... allowing light to infiltrate the corners one too often protects, hides. . Don't know how to word what i mean. See how you inspire people to think further and higher!?

Posted 8 Years Ago


...

8 Years Ago

haha...Emma, you are such a joy (you) Thank you for your enthusiasm :)
...

8 Years Ago

P.s. pun intended...now that I see I made one...laughing. I know why you were given your name haha
emmajoy

8 Years Ago

Think it was cos our parents had decided I'd be the last of the pack of seven! But, thanks anyway :.. read more
Hi Lynn,
This is such a beautiful piece of writing, i think my third stanza is my favorite with spectacular language choice, 'to the wayward waft of leaves' creates such stunning imagery.
Be proud of your work, it is unique and fantastic to read.
Please keep writing, and if you get a chance, take a read of some of my work.
Thank you for such a beautiful piece!
Georgie.

Posted 8 Years Ago


...

8 Years Ago

Thank you, dear poet :)
I see a search for a peaceful place. Somewhere where the mind is shut off and we can just enjoy what's around us.

but that's just me. I really enjoyed this.

Posted 8 Years Ago


...

8 Years Ago

I'm so glad you enjoyed it, James. Thank you

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1205 Views
24 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 5, 2016
Last Updated on April 5, 2016

Author

...
...

MI



Writing
"Timeless" "Timeless"

A Poem by ...


"Pandemic" "Pandemic"

A Poem by ...


"High (lol) " "High (lol) "

A Poem by ...



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..