Kalmia Laurel

Kalmia Laurel

A Chapter by Truman S. Booth
"

Allan's first interaction with Miss Laurel, STARS very first recruit.

"

Terrence shook his head.  “You’re something else, Allan.  I didn’t understand most of what you just said, but I hope you change your mind pretty soon.  You’ll have to work with�"or work around, rather�"a whole bunch of kids pretty soon.”

Allan looked horrified.  “You said nothing about working with children.”

Around, Allan.  I corrected myself pretty clearly.  I won’t allow that kind of suffering in my establishment.”

“That’s good,” he mumbled, falsely assuming that Terrence was referring to Allan’s suffering.

They were silent for a while after that.  Allan continued to wonder why Mr. Terrence had chosen to meet at a playground.  The other man seemed very content to sit and watch the rowdy juveniles, chuckling every now and then at their exaggerated mannerisms.  Though patience came easily to Allan, he did not like wasting time, and eventually reminded politely, “You have yet to reveal the reason behind our meeting’s location.”

“We’re waiting for somebody,” Mr. Terrence replied.  “Or rather, we were waiting for somebody.  Here she comes now.”

He pointed past the playground.  Allan squinted into the morning sun, noticing a tall, slim woman in tight jeans and a plain tank-top treading barefoot through the unkempt grass towards the children.  A few moments later, her presence was noticed by the young ones, most of whom began calling her name.  “Miss Laurel!  Miss Laurel!” they shouted, immediately forsaking their swings and slides.  She laughed as they sprinted towards her, kneeling to their level with open arms.  At least a dozen children crowded around her, playing gently with her long brown hair or wrapping their miniature arms around her slender figure.

Allan was fascinated by her ability to direct their attention.  “Who is she?”

“Kalmia Laurel.  She was my first recruit to STARS, eleven years ago.”

Surprised at her apparent youth, he asked, “How old was she?”

“Eight.  I met her here.”  He gestured vaguely to the play area.  Allan noticed many of the seated mothers smiling in Miss Laurel’s direction with obvious approval.

“She comes here often?” he assumed, eyeing the expanding swarm of children.

Mr. Terrence shrugged.  “Not very, but enough to be recognized by the regular visitors.  She lives close by, and I thought it would be a suiting place to recruit you, seeing its past.”

“By ‘its past,’ you mean because it was the location of her recruitment as well?”

“More or less,” he answered with a smirk, and rose from the bench to approach the young woman, motioning for Allan to follow.

As they walked together around the playground, Allan kicked stray pieces of bark into their designated area of containment.  Though many questions continued to swim, Allan calculated that only one could be answered before they reached the repellant storm of offspring surrounding their target.  He turned to his potential employer as the noise level steadily rose, asking louder than normally necessary “What made her eligible for STARS?”

“You mean, what makes her special?” Terrence clarified.  Allan nodded while Terrence’s constant grin grew wider.  “I guess there’s no need to keep secrets from you.  She heals people, Allan, among other things.  She can reverse wounds.”

Allan narrowed his eyes skeptically, but before he could question Terrence’s seriousness, they had reached the torturous ring of rambunctiousness surrounding Miss Laurel.

“Kalmia!” Terrence called over their excited chatter.  Her attention was redirected, smiling stunningly in Terrence’s direction.

“Is that my old friend Danny?” she shouted over her adoring crowd.

“It most certainly is, you pretty thing,” he replied, reaching bravely through a hole in the little demons’ fortress.  Miss Laurel grabbed his hand tightly and he pulled, relieving her of captivity.

“Thanks, Danny,” she said, tucking her long, wavy hair behind her ear before turning to her startled audience.

“I have to talk with my friend now,” she said sweetly.  “Thank you so much for greeting me!  I’ll come play with you in a few minutes, okay?”

They cheered at her words, hurrying back to the playground with rejuvenated vigor.

“Remarkable,” Allan muttered inaudibly, hardly believing her comfort amidst their unpredictable and wild behavior.

Mr. Terrence and Miss Laurel hugged briefly.  Although he was never a very social person, Allan had studied human relations intensely for several years.  He quickly identified the embrace as platonic, but sincere: a fitting blend of emotions for a nineteen year old girl and her far elder mentor.  Though uncertain, Allan estimated Mr. Terrence was in his late fifties, albeit noticeably fit and healthy for his age.

“I haven’t seen you in months, Danny,” Miss Laurel exclaimed as the trio walked down a park path, away from the bustle of the playground.  The direction eased Allan considerably.

“Too long,” Terrence deemed.  “How’s been your break from work?”

She slouched tiredly.  “Boring,” she said, perking up as she continued.  “I can’t wait to get back in the field.”

“Well, you’re going to have to,” Terrence said with a hint of regret.  “I actually need you to train for a while before I can ship you.”

Though visibly disappointed, the young woman kept a positive tone in her voice.  “That’s no problem.  How many tykes are we talking?”

“Two tykes,” he replied, “and this guy.”  Terrene jerked his thumb at Allan, who walked at his right.  Miss Laurel, on the other side, bent forward for a better look.  Her brow furrowed in concern.

“Him?”  She seemed uncertain.  “How old is he?”

“I am eighteen years old, Miss Laurel,” Allan answered moodily, “and I am fully capable of speech.”

She laughed.  “Sorry.  I’m not very good with strangers.  I’m Kalmia, but you can call me Kallie.”  She extended her hand in front of Terrence.  Allan shook it gingerly.

“If you don’t mind,” he said, wiping his hand on his pant leg in fear of child residue, “I will continue to call you Miss Laurel.”

She seemed shocked, and somewhat offended, disappearing from Allan’s view behind Mr. Terrence.

“What’s his problem?” she asked in a loud whisper.  Allan chose to ignore.  He was not unaccustomed to offending people.

“Autism, I believe,” Mr. Terrence replied, “though largely conquered through a superior intellect.  Don’t worry, Kalmia, he’ll warm up to you.  He’s actually a delightful young man.”

Surprised at the compliment, Allan donned a small smile, automatically lengthening his stride and listening patiently as Kalmia’s directions were relayed.



© 2011 Truman S. Booth


Author's Note

Truman S. Booth
This is as far as I have written, although many ideas are swimming through my head. Give me some feedback! Where would you like this story to go?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

195 Views
Added on June 17, 2011
Last Updated on June 17, 2011


Author

Truman S. Booth
Truman S. Booth

the Bubble, UT



About
I am a young writer, but I believe that talent knows no age--although they tend to increase together. There are a few things I love, and a few things I hate. I love language, piano, animated movie.. more..

Writing