I'm Not A Damsel In Distress, I Just Need You

I'm Not A Damsel In Distress, I Just Need You

A Chapter by Uihara
"

Emilia has finally made it to the restaurant and waits there patiently for her boyfriend's arrival.

"

I'm Not A Damsel In Distress, I Just Need You

“Vancouver City Centre.” The bus driver said prominently into his loud speaker. I got out of my seat and thanked the bus driver for the ride. As I stepped off the bus I checked my phone. It read 7:33pm. The rain had gotten heavier and the sun had completely set. I quickly made my way to the restaurant. My umbrella wasn’t as cooperative this time and wouldn’t open at all. I gave up and decided to try it a few more times elsewhere with cover from the rain.

Finally my umbrella opened. I was relieved because a part of me knew I’d feel horribly guilty if I let all of Janis’s hard work go to waste. I still had another four blocks to walk before I would reach the restaurant. I was a little glad that it was raining this hard. There were far fewer people walking through the Van Centre. The plaza was beautiful in the dimly lit evening night. I quickened my pace.

By the time I reached, Miku Restaurant, the rain had increased tenfold in intensity. I folded my umbrella before going through the restaurant’s double doors. The hostess greeted me with an, “irasshaimasu.” She was dressed in sharp and recognizable attire, which without a doubt, exhibited her as being part of the staff.  She had a black vest with a red tie with a clean white undershirt.  Her shirt was cut just above the knees and her stockings were a dark shade of maroon. She wore lipstick and had a considerable amount of makeup. Her smooth copper colored hair was also tied in a bun. I’d expected as much from a fine dining establishment.

“Have you made a reservation for today Madam?” She asked with flawless English.

“Yes. For 8:15.”  I answered a little nervously.  I watched as she checked the time.  It was 7:50pm.

She began flipping through the reservation book.  “Can I please get the name that the reservation was made under Madam?”  She stopped on page that marked Miku’s April 5th evening dinner service.

“Alex Lane.”  I answered back somewhat embarrassed that it wasn’t under my name.  I was gripping my purse and umbrella tightly.

“Ah here you are.”  She said as she circled the time slot with a blue pen.  “Right this way.  I’ll show you to your seat.  Your server should be with you shortly after your partner arrives.” She led me to a window seat for two and pulled the chair out for me before gesturing for me to sit.  I wasn’t used to any of this and she definitely could tell by now.  “If you need anything don’t hesitate to ask.”  She said before leaving. I sat there staring at the fine tableware for what seemed like ages before waitress brought me a glass of water.

The restaurant was lively and filled with the quiet of chattering families as well as couples.  Miku Restaurant is well known being the best fine dining Japanese restaurant in Vancouver for its atmosphere and tasteful décor.  I couldn’t really tell though. My phone buzzed. 8:04pm from Alex: “I’m going to be a bit late.  I can’t tell you why but I hope you understand.  Phone 2% battery.”

I smiled. If anything could fix this day for me, it would be seeing Alex’s stupid smile.  I hunched over the table.  I thought that coming to Miku Restaurant would make me happy today, but I felt so drained that I couldn’t enjoy any part of it.  This was something that both me and Alex had been saving up for.  Both of us work part time minimum wage jobs and we’d each saved two months worth of wages to enjoy this night of luxurious Japanese food.  Alex didn’t even like Japanese food but he knew that I wanted to try it since I was in grade school.  He was that kind of man. I remembered our first actual date as boyfriend and girlfriend. It’d taken a while for his goading to finally pay off but he managed to slip past my cold, hard shell.  A year and seventeen days to be exact.  I’d fallen for him.  His stupid nicknames.  His dumb smile.  His cheesy one liners.  All of it had grown on me.  But most of all, his rare moments of lucid sincerity pulled at my heartstrings.  They were so rare that I had somewhat developed a yearning for them.

The excitement had gotten the better of me and I had decided to tell my family about the new development happening in my life. Biggest mistake of my life. I was at the ripe age of 19, when my dad immediately grounded me after I told him who I had begun dating. He forbade me from leaving the house until I chose to pair up with someone who came from a more affluent household.

I was devastated. All I could think about was Alex and how I might have to leave him right after he became the most important person to have ever come into my life. My dad even confiscated my phone and computer so that I would have no means of contacting the outside world. For the next three nights I cried harder that I ever had in my life. I couldn’t sleep and I refused to leave my room. I prayed for Alex to come and take me away so that I could run away. It was the most agonizing three days and nights I ever experienced in my life.

It was at around 5:00am in the morning when I heard a light tapping sound on my window. I got out of bed. My eyes were swollen and hurting. Suddenly I heard a faint whisper.

“Emilia. It’s me.” His voice was muffled by the glass. I began sobbing. I moved the curtains with one hand while covering my face with the other. There he was, watching me weeping like a child. “Open the window and let’s go.” He showed me his smile then gestured with his right hand.

I shook my head. “N-no. I can’t.” My voice was cracking. I was sobbing uncontrollably now.

“Just open the window Em.” Obediently I reached for the latch. My hands were shaking just as wildly. I opened the window and he extended his arm. He was still giving me his signature stupid smile. I grabbed his hand and he pulled me out my window.

Our first date as official boyfriend and girlfriend was pretty dumb looking back at it. We walked to McDonald’s as it was the only place open as early as 5:30am. We’d walked the entire way with me tightly gripping his hand. I was still in my pink polka-dot pajamas. My eyes were red and puffy; the signs that I’d been crying heavily. If I were alone, I would’ve died from embarrassment by now. But I wasn’t. The only things we ordered at McDonald’s were two soft serve ice cream cones. I didn’t have any cash on me and felt guilty if Alex had to pay for anything more. We’d been silent the entire way until we sat down there.

I told him everything. He sat there listening intently trying to gauge the gravity of the situation. I told him how I didn’t even want to go back home after all this. “I’ll talk to my parents so that you can stay at my place tonight. How does that sound?” He said still smiling. I remember the humiliating half hour bus ride to his house the clearest.



© 2016 Uihara


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

104 Views
Added on November 23, 2016
Last Updated on November 23, 2016
Tags: Romance, Slice of life, Vancouver, Emilia Pamela Chan, Alex Lane, Love, Penny Love, Uihara


Author

Uihara
Uihara

Los Angeles, CA



About
contact info : [email protected] more..

Writing
Aihara Aihara

A Story by Uihara


Penny Love Penny Love

A Book by Uihara