Chapter 2: Myths and Taverns

Chapter 2: Myths and Taverns

A Chapter by unspokenpain
"

"There is more to the story than what people say, less they even know it."

"

Her eyes.

“As red as the purest of rubies and as lively as the greatest of fires.” These are the words most used to describe one lady. Though they are great compliments, all would agree that they fail in every way. When at a loss for words, men will ponder. After putting a great amount of thought in what to say, that line is spoken describing her eyes. Then their smiles fade and follow up with, “but that still lacks in comparison to her”. Asking for more noticeable features is impossible, as they are never spoken. If you ask someone for her name, it always changes. Every once in awhile you might get what she wore last, but still that differs. In the end, all anybody ever has to go off of when looking for the girl with secrets is that one tiny description.

Her eyes.

Normally their is no reason to go searching for such a girl. But Fushiin, a scribe of Taverice is not in K’riin city for a normal reason.

“Is there anything else you can give me on the girl.” Fushiin spoke with irritation in his voice.

“ ‘em tellin ya lad, aint nun’ else but her eyes.” The rough-looking barkeep said while spit shining the table. “Not even a name she keeps fer too long.”

“I guess that’s all i'm going to get from anybody.” Fushiin sighs. “Thanks for the free drink… I apologize, may I have your spoken name?”

The barkeep gave a hearty laugh before answering. “Aint a need for pleasentries lad, jus call me Pen.”

“Pen?”

“Aye, short for Penthen. Me parents thought me to become a scholar growing up.” Penthen gave a weak smile. “Would o’ loved for ‘em to see me now. Bet ‘ey be pullin hairs seein ole’ Penthen runnin a tavern.”

Deciding saying nothing on the subject was best, the scribe spoke. “What made you decide to open up a tavern in an elvish city? Not to many humans live her, let alone run a tavern.”

Penthen looked at the scribe as if the first time seeing him. “Well don’t ya know lad, the best o’ places to run a tavern is where ya aint wanted. Look around.”

Fushiin let his eyes drift around the room and noticed the crowd here was diverse and not at all like the rest of the taverns the scribe had been to today. Lots of non elves were here drinking and laughing. Most were dressed in leather or cloth hooded robes, others had armor of many metals that were not pretty to look at but could definitely intimidate at a glance, and a few had rags for clothes. All of them had weapons of many sorts. Swords, daggers, maces, staffs, clubs, and handmade knives were scattered among the many gruff men and women. Fushiin finally realized the type of tavern he walked into. This was a resting place for the cities criminals.

This was a place for the unwanted.

Fushiin always tends to walk into dangerous places just following leads. The scribe talks to everyone as equals, no matter their stature or way of life. Without even batting an eye, the scribe will go from streets of wealthy lords and merchants to the back alleys with the homeless and thieves. Fushiin had lost the fear of such places after multiple experiences of finding himself in the middle of trouble almost every time he follows a rumour of a good story.

“Ah... well, guess that explains the reason the last man I spoke to would not show me in person where this place was located.” Fushiin finished his drink.

“Sure shocked a scribe with table manners aint sweatin up a storm ‘round here. Though no folk here aint gonna start sometin’. ‘Ey be smarter than causin trouble for no reason at the only tavern for ‘em.” Pen had started filling up the scribe’s mug with another pint of Brim Beer, then pulling a mug out for himself.

“I tend to find myself always in troublesome areas, though lately i’ve been feeling more at home in holes like this than in the nicest of inns.” Fushiin started sipping on his now full cup. He knew it was rude to turn down a drink from another unless you were looking to find dirt in your teeth.

“Same ‘ere lad. Though Pen better not see ya causin’ trouble yerself.” Penthen gave a smile and a nod that was very warming. Fushiin knew many people like him and the importance of being on the good side of such a person. Penthen looked like a tiny giant that had a beard as thick as a small shrub. He had few scars but enough to show the battles he’s been in. Intimidating as he was, Pen was a kind soul who only started trouble when it was needed. Because of his big stature, most were smart enough to know to not start a fight with a giant like him.

“You have my word. And thank you again Pen, this drink is very much appreciated. Probably the better part of my day so far, maybe even the highlight.”

“Since wer talkin bout you lad…” Pen spoke. “... why ya lookin for the lady?”

“Just a rumor I heard about her, if it even is her.” Fushiin laid a pocket watch on the counter. “More a myth than anything, but still I believe it’s her.” He pointed at the picture in the watch.

Pen went from looking at the photo to the scribe with a questioning look. “Aint no folk in the photo lad, just a house.”

“I know. But I believe there was.” Fushiin said.

“Ya got a screw loose? Do ya not know how photos work?” The barkeep spoke.

Fushiin grabbed the watch and stuffed it back into his pocket. “You’re probably right about the screw loose.” The scribe had started drinking the Brim again. “I AM in a town hundreds of miles from home following a rumor that’s probably just that.”

Penthen laughed. “Pen can’t put a finger on ya. Can’t tell if ya really a scribe looking fer fairy tales or just givin ole’ me a hard time.” He began cleaning his now empty mug. “But Pen likes ya lad, aint nun like a good story to pay fer the drinks poured tonight.”

Fushiin smiled. “I guess that’s fair. If you have any open rooms that you’ll rent out for a few pents, I can share a story with a friend.” The scribe had laid out three bronze coins.

Penthen grabbed the coins and gave a nod. “Aye, as long as it’s fer a friend.”

The two talked for hours, though the scribe did most of the talking. It was probably the Brim Beer, but the two were laughing and smiling as if they had been friends for years. Fushiin told the rumor and story that brought him to K’riin. The barkeep stayed quiet when the scribe spoke, but in between pauses the large beast of a man Pen did not hesitate to laugh or scald the much smaller Fushiin for coming such a distance on a rumor. After awhile the two were telling their own stories of both fiction and personal experiences combined. They laughed, they cried, they argued, they listened. A bond was formed, one that comes often in such a place. After a while they shook hands that turned into friendly hugs and the scribe staggered up the stairs into his temporary room for the night.

There was a candle flickering in the corner of the room on top a nightstand. It’s flame was small, but seemed so large with the shadows on every wall dancing with the fire. Fushiin laid on the bed just staring, staring at the red dancing tip of the candle. It was as if the candle was speaking to the scribe on the bed, telling him of the rumor it heard. And Fushiin just stared at the flame, listening. Like he was waiting for the fire to tell him what he already knew, what he already knew about the girl with secrets.

“Eyes as red as the purest of rubies and as lively as the greatest of fires.” These are the words most used to describe one lady. Though they are great compliments, all would agree that they fail in every way. When at a loss for words, men will ponder. After putting a great amount of thought in what to say, that line is spoken describing her eyes. Then their smiles fade and always follow up with, “but that still lacks in comparison to her”. Asking for more noticeable features is impossible, as they are never spoken. If you ask someone for her name, it always changes. Every once in awhile you might get what she wore last, but still that always differs. In the end, all anybody ever has to go off of when looking for the girl with secrets is that one tiny description. Still, that’s all I need.

As the candle flame stopped dancing, so did the thoughts running through Fushiin’s head. All customers now gone, the place was silent. The old yet polished wooden floor creaked not even once. The once loud barkeep was now silent as he layed in a drunken slumber. The alley way that the “Bronze Hill” tavern made its home in was quiet as even the wind laid still. For the latter part of the night this was the case. Yet like a single star shining bright in the night sky, it was the perfect stage for a lone entity to make itself known. Gracefully and almost entrancing, the silence of the night was interrupted by the pitter-patter of bare feet hitting the dirt alley floor.



© 2016 unspokenpain


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Other then a few grammar issues and structure issues, I really like the start of this story. I'm intrigued to know who the lady with ruby eyes is and more about Fushiin. I, also, like your use in speech as this is normally hard for most people to do unless it's a native tongue. Great job!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

unspokenpain

7 Years Ago

Thank you. It was fun to write pen's form of speech. The best way is to practice saying it aloud and.. read more



Reviews

Love it! Other than a few instances of using things like two instead of too this was great!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Wheres the rest! This has me hooked me hooked already. So many questions filling my head!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

unspokenpain

7 Years Ago

I'm glad you love it ^.^ the next chapter is taking me awhile as its a tad bit longer . :)
Other then a few grammar issues and structure issues, I really like the start of this story. I'm intrigued to know who the lady with ruby eyes is and more about Fushiin. I, also, like your use in speech as this is normally hard for most people to do unless it's a native tongue. Great job!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

unspokenpain

7 Years Ago

Thank you. It was fun to write pen's form of speech. The best way is to practice saying it aloud and.. read more
this is a great story line,great images,especially the eyes

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

unspokenpain

7 Years Ago

great! I'm glad you think so. ^.^
The fact that no one remembers anything about the girl except her eyes is intriguing. I also really like Fushiin's nonchalant attitude and Pen's manner of speech. You did a very good job of developing the dialect in the way he talks. Nice work!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

unspokenpain

7 Years Ago

thank you. Im really having fun writing this story! ^.^
AliciaB

7 Years Ago

Yay! That's the goal. :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

438 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 27, 2016
Last Updated on September 29, 2016


Author

unspokenpain
unspokenpain

CA



About
Poetry speaks when my words can't. Watch me dance with words. Watch me create a world. I will undress who you are. Realize the masochist inside of you as my dominating words grasp that which lets you .. more..

Writing
Peace Peace

A Poem by unspokenpain



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Reality Reality

A Poem by AaronFreitas


A Pastoral A Pastoral

A Poem by Ethan