Chapter 11: Innocence

Chapter 11: Innocence

A Chapter by violet michelle

“Finally.” Michael sighed as he heard Zoe coming through the front door.

“She’s in big trouble when she gets home. She was supposed to be back to take Michael to their movie twenty minutes ago!” Mom fumed in irritation as Michael ran for the door. It was cold out, and we all had to break out our winter coats. Mom got all anxious around winter-time, because she always heard stories about people freezing to death in Toronto. It was a crazy ride, the weather of Toronto. It was either super scorching or freezing cold. There was no breezy, warm day.

“Mom, they’ll get there before the movie starts. Zoe hates the promos anyway.” I shrugged. Mom stirred the spaghetti in the pot on the stove aggressively, murmuring worthless nothings to herself.

 

Michael’s brow furrowed as he watched Zoe swaying down the sidewalk in front of him. She was giggling to herself, twirling in circles.

“Zoe, we should go a bit faster. We’re going to miss the beginning of the movie.” Michael explained in confusion.  “Loosen up, Mikey... we’re fine.” Zoe’s words were slurred together as she smiled widely. Michael walked ahead of his sister.

“Hey beautiful... you want to come back to my place...” Michael turned swiftly. A man in a leather vest held Zoe’s shoulders tightly. Zoe wiggled uncomfortably, squealing as she tried to escape his grip. Zoe shoved the man away and walked towards Michael. She reached out for his hand.

“Come on, Michael.” Her tone became more serious, and she took his hand, shooting the man an obnoxious glance over her shoulder, tossing her blonde hair to the side. Michael reached into his pockets, pulling on his mittens, and held Zoe’s hand tightly.

“Hey! I wasn’t done.” The man called, running up behind them and grabbing Zoe’s shoulder.

“I was.” Zoe turned swiftly. Michael coiled back behind her.

“Listen... I’m not taking no for an answer.” He reached out, touching Zoe’s cheek. He smiled snakily, baring his yellow rotting teeth.

“Zoe, come on.” Michael tugged on her jacket, and they ran down the street. Zoe stopped beside a car on the street, laughing, and pulled open the driver’s seat door. A young man sat, smoking in the front seat. She grabbed his shirt and shoved him onto the road, climbing into the front seat.

“Get in!” Zoe couldn’t hide her laughter as Michael climbed into the passenger seat.

“Zoe, what are we doing?” He panicked as she turned the key and began to drive down the street.

Whooooooo!” Zoe cheered out the car window, “best night of my life!” Michael curled up in the front seat nervously.

“Zoe, he’s way back there... can we stop?” Michael suggested softly, his voice shaking as the car bumped up and down the road. Zoe ignored his panicked cries, swirving sharply into an underground parking carage. The car went crashing into a pillar, and it slammed down on top of the car, shattering the front windows. The ceiling of the parking garage fell through, landing on the car, leaving large dents all over it. The airbags slammed through the dashboard, and Michael’s vision began to fade.

 

 

Mom glared over at me across the couch, chewing a peanut M&M slowly.

“Are you going to get that?” She asked as she swallowed it down, and I sighed in irritation. I jumped up and ran to the kitchen, grabbing my iPhone off the kitchen table.

“Hello?” I ask. All I get in reply is jagged, fast breathing.

“Hello?!” Michael’s panicked voice screams.

“Michael? Are you okay?” I asked, blocking my other ear with my finger, listening closely.

“Alyssa! Come downtown... I can’t move my arm.” He replied, inhaling deeply into the phone.

“What? I’ll be right there.” I exclaimed, and ran to the front door.

“What is it?” Mom asked as I pulled my jacket and scarf on, kicking on my uggs.

“I’ll tell you when I get back.” I replied quickly, running down the driveway to my truck. The whole ride I thought, this is it. Someone’s going to be in trouble and it’ll be your time to be super-big-sister. I thought about poor little Michael, worried and afraid, all alone. And where had Zoe gone?  Had she been kidnapped? Was she being raped right this second? It was all too much to handle, and I came back to reality when I saw Michael, sitting on the curb, next to the parking garage for the Sheraton hotel. I came to a quick stop, climbing out of the car.

“Alyssa!” Michael cried. His arm was in an awkward position, and his face was shining with dried tears.

“Michael, what happened?” I rushed over, grabbing him. I pulled him close to me gently, caressing his face.

“A guy was bothering us... and Zoe stole a car. She was being crazy! And we crashed down there and the whole ceiling fell on us and I climbed out...” He was breathless, and he buried his face in my jacket.

“Come on.” I grabbed his hand, walking carefully down into the parking garage. I saw a car, with a bunch of residue and debree on top of it. It was completely crushed. I felt tears coming to my eyes. Zoe was in that car... Zoe was probably dead. All this time I’d been thinking about being super-big-sister, saving the day. But I’d been sitting at home, moping about my tanking love life while my sister and brother were killing themselves halfway across town.

I ran, leaving Michael. I ran to the car. There was a man, circling the car in confusion.

“Hey!” He exclaimed drunkenly, “I been trying to get this chickie out... she’s a real pretty one too.” He held up a hand, wavering me over to his side of the car. I hurried over. He tapped on the window, where Zoe’s face was pressed up against the seat, with an airbag squishing her whole body. Her face was scraped and dusty, and her whole body was bloody. He banged on the window, humming to himself.

Leave.” I shoved him away, and he landed on the concrete floor, chuckling. I picked up a heavy piece of concrete, throwing it off the car. I lifted piece by piece, free-ing the driver’s seat door. My hands were sore and dirty when I threw the last block away. The man had run off, and Michael was a few feet away from me, sitting cross-legged nervously. I finally reached my fingers inside the dented car door, prying it open. As I finally pulled it open, Zoe fell out of the car, hanging from her feet hooked to the passenger seat by the toes. I lifted her head, pulling her out.

“Michael, come help.” I turned to meet his tortured gaze, and he scurried over. When I finally got her down on the ground, Michael and I were both covered in blood. I sat down next to her, with Michael in my lap, and called 911. As I spoke to the paramedics, her eyelids fluttered open.

“Alyssa?” She murmured, gazing up at me quizzically. I reached down and held her hand.

“You’re going to be okay.” I whispered as Michael closed his eyes against my neck. The corner of a zip-lock bag hung out of her pocket, and I tugged on it curiously. I lifted the bag, regarding the mushrooms inside with fury.

“Shrooms?” I whispered in disbelief.

“Alyssa... this guy was following us.” Zoe explained, opening her eyes once again. I held the bag in front of her and her gaze changed.

“I...I’m sorry.” She whimpered.

“Shut up, Zoe. You’re so stupid! I hate you!” I screamed, throwing the bag away from me. Zoe began to cry. She was high and beautiful and her tears were making me even angrier. I stood up, carrying Michael away. She jumped up, hobbling after me.  “Alyssa, please!” She sobbed, falling onto the ground weakly, “I need help! Help me, please!” She slammed on the ground with her clenched fists, weeping in a curled up ball. I gazed back breathlessly and turned away. I walked up to the sidewalk, where the police and paramedics had arrived. I glanced back down to where Zoe was lying.

“Michael. Go tell Zoe that I was the one driving. Tell her to say she was in the passenger seat. And you were in the back.” I whispered just as one of the cops climbed out of his car. Michael gazed up at me and I intensified the glare, and he ran down.

“Officer.” I called, and all the policemen and paramedics ran to me. Even some news cameras were there. Bad news travels fast.

“Were you the driver?” One officer asked, and a paramedic grabbed my arm, examining me closely.

“Yes. I-I uh... I climbed out of the car, and it kept driving, and my brother and sister were in there, and it crashed.” I lied hopefully.

“Not one scratch.” The paramedic told the officer.

“Are you sure?” The officer asked, and I nodded.

“My brother’s arm isn’t moving, and my sister is covered in blood.” I explained.

“Where are they?” The paramedics panicked. I pointed to the parking garage, and followed them down. The media came too, and it was a stampede down to where Zoe was lying and Michael was holding her hand with his still-working arm. The paramedics rushed down, lifting them both onto stretchers. The cameras zoomed down onto Zoe’s bloody face. The officers interviewed me further as we walked back up the sidewalk and the paramedics rolled the stretchers up with us. I told them all I could think of. There’d been a pervert, so we grabbed a car. I said I was out of it, wasn’t thinking straight, and drove down to the parking garage to get away from the guy. Then my whole, the car was driving without a driver theory... and... voila. My utter crap-fest. Zoe’s stretcher was pushed by me, and Zoe grabbed my hand aggressively.

“I love you.” She gazed up. She had a wierd-looking mask on her, and she was breathing funny.

“I love you too.” I whispered, kissing her hand gently. She let go, staring back at me as they lifted her into the ambulance. Surprisingly, the officers believed me, and it made me realize how stupid the cops of Earltown were. What if there was a real crime? Plus, when they asked about the shrooms they found in the garage, I said that the pervert had thrown them, and I figured that’s why he’d been so crazy. Quick thinking. But despite all the funny haha’s about my fake crime, at the end of the day all I could think about was Zoe. I’d never said I hated her before. I’d never been so afraid of losing her, ever. It was like a huge cut in my wind-pipe. It was unbearable. 



© 2010 violet michelle


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Teehee.
I know, it's dramatic. kind of unrealistic, really.
oh well.

Posted 13 Years Ago


THAT WAS DRAMATIC!
Like, wow.
I couldn't believe. I knew something was up with Zoe when I started reading this chapter. Where did she get the drugs?
Who gave them to her? I can't believe.
Please write more, I'm so into this.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

146 Views
2 Reviews
Added on August 22, 2010
Last Updated on August 22, 2010


Author

violet michelle
violet michelle

Saskatchewan, Davidson, Canada



About
Beauty queen of only eighteen, she had some trouble with herself. He was always there to help her, she always belonged to someone else. I drove for miles and miles and wound up at your door. I'v.. more..

Writing
Lies Lies

A Poem by violet michelle