Hitch Hiker

Hitch Hiker

A Story by Morgan Renae

                The rain beaten road shifted underfoot with each step. Tall green grass swayed gently in the breeze. They took their hands and stuffed them in their pockets, head low, keeping close to the edge of the road. The moon cast deep shadows over the road and surrounding fields. Old wooden fences creaked and groaned, barbed wire clinging to life on the wooden posts. The smell of rain hung in the air, crisp, clean. Their old battered sneakers trudged on. The breeze continued. Trees aching with disturbance. Crickets sang their low tune through the fields. Their backpack slumped heavily against them. Old rusted train tracks sat in the distance like a guarded gate to the dirt road beyond. The world was small and quiet. The cold air invaded their clothing and they clung close to themselves. Their feet continued, slow and steady, on the muddy rain beaten road.

© 2014 Morgan Renae


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Sam
You paint an excellent picture. I can imagine the scene in my head, and such a simple one too, the sights the smell, the time of day. Such prose should gain my praise, for you penned it well, but anyways...
Well done. If it is not too bold, I look forward to future works.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

That was really nicely written. In the way one can feel and visualize the actual words. Congratulations!

Posted 9 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Sam
You paint an excellent picture. I can imagine the scene in my head, and such a simple one too, the sights the smell, the time of day. Such prose should gain my praise, for you penned it well, but anyways...
Well done. If it is not too bold, I look forward to future works.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

157 Views
2 Reviews
Added on May 29, 2014
Last Updated on May 29, 2014
Tags: short, night time, journey, hitch hiker, alone