Night Sky

Night Sky

A Story by Morgan Renae

                The hot summer sun beat down onto the dry barren desert scenery. I shaded my eyes, the over-sized sun glasses barely cutting the glare of the high noon light, watching him mutter and grumble away with his tools.

                “Figuring it out back there?”

                “Yes thank you very much.” His voice was bitter with frustration. I couldn't blame him though. It had been nearly 20 minutes since we had pulled over to fix the flat. Though I didn't doubt his mechanical abilities the combination of heat and dry bareness of the situation was making this a difficult task.

                “We could have just stayed in town; you know, grabbed lunch and maybe saw a movie. Why did we have to drive into the middle of nowhere?”

                “Because I have something planed!” His teeth gritted as he cranked the final bolt back on. He threw the tools into the back and began walking around to the driver side. The hold rusted door of the Chevy groaned as he opened it and slid in. I pulled my legs back in and shut the door. Resting them up on the dash and leaning my head onto his shoulder.

                “I know it’s going to be great.” I said as I closed my eyes and rested against him. He looked down with perfectly crooked smile across his face, gently kissing the top of my head before twisting the key and making the engine roar to life.

                We drove for a few more hours. Making stops to check out the old forgotten buildings and zip line from the mine. Taking in the beautiful scenery and hiking to the tops of the hills to look out at the valley. My legs ached on the final trek back to the car. The sun was setting and I figured the date was ending too.

                “Thank you for such a wonderful day” I said as I kissed his cheek as we got into the truck.

                “Oh it’s not over yet, I told you, I have something planned.”

                “The day of hiking and exploring wasn't what was planned?”

                “Nah, that was all just a bonus to get to see you all day.” Once again that crooked smile spread across his face as he gave out a small chuckle. Soon we were driving down a dirt road, like we had been all day. He turned up towards one of the hills. We slowly climbed our way up; I looked out over the valley. Enjoying the way the sunset lit up all the angles and curves of the hills.

                We reached the top of the hill and soon I saw it. There was a beautiful little camp sight set up. Tent, unlit fire pit, blankets, and pillows all placed like something out of a fairy tale. I was stunned. He got out and walked around to my door opening it and motioning for me to step out.

                “After you.” He took my hand and led me out. Looking around I couldn't believe it.

                “This is all for me?”

                “Well of course! I wanted it to be special.” Even in the darkening light I could tell he was blushing. His quick glance to the ground and shuffling of feet gave it away. I took a step closer and  put an arm around his waist, leaning my head into his chest.

                “It’s wonderful. Absolutely perfect.” I could feel his heart beat through his chest as he pulled me closer.

                He started making a fire, pulling out marshmallows to roast from a cooler next to the tent. We laid down next to the fire, our fingers covered in melted chocolate and marshmallows. Giggling and laughing like children under the stars. Totally alone in the world for that moment. My head rested on his chest, once again listening to the slow even beating of his heart. Looking up into the sky and watching the millions of stars dance and twinkle.

                Feeling so small in the world. Nothing but a speck in the universe, but right then we were the only thing that mattered. The fire slowly died down, throwing a few final cracks and sparks. I curled up closer to him, enjoying the warmth of him against me. The night faded darker, the only sounds were a few soft crickets. Looking into the deep vastness of the sky and smiling because I had him, and nothing else mattered.  

© 2014 Morgan Renae


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

132 Views
Added on June 14, 2014
Last Updated on June 14, 2014
Tags: love, romance, adventure, desert, night, sky, universe