Crown of All Dreams

Crown of All Dreams

A Poem by Wesley Dingler

We shook off the winter
down by a creek that was so still
you'd swear nature's temper
died without a successor or a will.

The birds all gathered around
to sing a chorus of praise
that proved God is happiest
when all of His children are at play.

And play we did, child,
inspite of the adults we are,
as twilight turned into night,
and darkness hid our every scar.

We found something there
we had thought a mere scheme.
Something, as we laid bare,
had risen to the crown of all dreams.

© 2023 Wesley Dingler


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Your poem is a beautiful and evocative tribute to the power of nature to heal and restore us, and the way that you use vivid imagery and poetic language to describe the experience of being in nature is both powerful and moving. I think your poem captures the essence of what it means to be a thoughtful and compassionate person in a way that is both insightful and inspiring. Your use of metaphor and symbolism is particularly effective, and I think it speaks to the way that nature can help us to find peace and joy even in the midst of difficult circumstances. Overall, I think your poem is a beautiful reminder of the power of nature to transform our lives and bring us joy and happiness beyond measure.

Posted 9 Months Ago


Wesley Dingler

9 Months Ago

Thank you and I am glad you loved it. I have always fancied myself a topigraphical poet. I find a ca.. read more
The backbone of happiness, I would have to agree. what a wonderful way to put it and the picture you paint is so identifiable to me. Those were good times. That's what we are made of. Great Piece!

Posted 1 Year Ago


Wesley Dingler

1 Year Ago

Thank you Crowley. I dont know if I would really consider myself a "landscape" poet but I have alway.. read more
Very romantic and sensual.... sounds very dreamy down by the stream.. I like your imagery and choice of words....nature seems to inspire them....and I love how you use the words "child play" which is so flirty...
In all, a great piece of happiness!
Best, B

Posted 1 Year Ago


Wesley Dingler

1 Year Ago

Thank you so much Betty. Being in love and living a life with the one you love is dreamy isnt it? So.. read more
Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

You’re very welcome Wesley, my pleasure
Best, B
I loved reading this! I have included my thoughts below and I can kind of get into the weeds some times but I am no expert so take or leave any of my comments.

Stanza 1
Loving the first line. The imagery is an intriguing start. "Shook" is the only movement in the first stanza and then the reader is pulled into stillness.
The second line establishes the stanza's cadence right away with "down" and "was so still", words that slow the reader down before the poem could be read too quickly which would have allowed the reader to jump over the significance of your word choice in the next two lines. It works perfectly because by slowing down the reader, the reader is forced to engage with the "[stillness]".
The third and fourth lines make me feel like I should read them in a whisper. They finish the work of the first two lines bringing the reader into the stillness. I do question the necessity of "that" in line three.

Stanza 2
The second stanza has much more movement. The cadence moves quicker and I love how the birds bring a joy with them and your religious tone with the word choice of "praise", "God", and "His children" marries with the joyful and innocent tones with "singing" and "happiness". Not only does this stanza bring movement it evokes sound as well with the singing of birds and playing of children. I do wonder though if the movement and sound are too sharp a contrast with the first stanza.

Stanza 3
The innocence that continues to be evoked in this stanza is joined once again by the stillness of the first stanza in your wordchoice of "twilight", "night", and "darkness". The reader is also slowed down once again like in the first stanza, initially with the commas in the first line of this stanza, and then with the word choice throughout for example with "twilight" and "darkness". Line three of this stanza is my favorite. The alliteration is beautiful.

Stanza 4
The sound of the poem comes together in this last stanza. The reader is met with a contemplative tone in the first line that continues through the stanza and ends with a crescendo (literally as I read it alloud I felt the need to read the last line with a crescendo). that leaves the reader contemplating themselves.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed the read. The first stanza is my favorite and I think the only critique I have is that the cadence and sound of the poem shifts perhaps too suddenly and too often. Especially between the first and second stanza. However, your word choice throughout the poem hit home so many times and the last line is very thought provoking.

Thank you for posting!

Posted 1 Year Ago


Wesley Dingler

1 Year Ago

First off Hannah let me say it is good to hear from you. I dont know how far you went into your prac.. read more
love where this is lead. Cant wait to see how this echoes through your future pieces
:)

Posted 1 Year Ago


Wesley Dingler

1 Year Ago

Thank you Simbles. I think I might be interested to see how this echoes in future work as well. I my.. read more
I keep thinking this is a song, in some of its rhythm. The more I read it, the more I like it.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Wesley Dingler

1 Year Ago

Thank you Sara. Maybe this should be a song. It is a good one i hope. If my guitars were not hundred.. read more
ah, precious innocence come and gone. the seasons are a time of reflection. the verse really grabs and the rest never lets go. this made me think of what jesus said, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven." great, thought-provoking, strong words and imagery. bravo ... :)

Posted 1 Year Ago


Wesley Dingler

1 Year Ago

I love that. I am a Bible fan myself. I am always happy if my work reminds people of scripture of co.. read more
Beautifully penned poem Wesley that makes me think spring is coming closer all the time. Lovely visuals for me on a very dark, cold morning.


Chris

Posted 1 Year Ago


Wesley Dingler

1 Year Ago

Thank you Chris. I love lines that fade from light to dark like looking at a horizon embracing twili.. read more
Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Thank you and I wish the same for you Wesley. All the best.
A wonderful poem shared Wesley. Winter had just started in Michigan. I need my birds in my yards to sing, happy morning. They went south. Thank you for sharing the amazing poetry.
Coyote

Posted 1 Year Ago


Wesley Dingler

1 Year Ago

Thank you Coyote. I am always pleased to hear feom you.
Coyote Poetry

1 Year Ago

Is my pleasure and you are welcome.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

226 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 14, 2023
Last Updated on April 22, 2023

Author

Wesley Dingler
Wesley Dingler

TN



About
I was born in Central Alabama February 27, 1985. I'm a Piscean and love it. I began writing poetry and child stories at age nine. I began home schooling after the Sixth Grade, having a lot of troub.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Marie Marie

A Poem by Linear


Remembering Remembering

A Poem by Beccy