Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by whatamafu

A temporary stadium of sorts had been set up in the front of main school building. Stands had been erected in a semi circle surrounding a sizeable portion of the field they were standing on. Seniors populated the space in the center, while their underclassman took to the seats provided. The reclining sun tinted the grass field, and all those in it, with soft yellows and reds as the ceremony began.

 

            With a short speech from the head teacher of the school, Samakina, he set the seniors about choosing their teams.

 

            The squadron ceremony was an event where the seniors of the school would form teams with each other. These teams would be the combat units of Sazakira’s military. They would train together, live together, fight together, and die together. The senior class could choose their teams as they saw fit. While there was no limit on how many people could be together, small teams with diverse skill sets were preferred over bulkier teams with repeats in strengths. Team leaders were always the strongest in the group, and they would hand select those they wanted with them. Many would forsake the right of being a leader of their own team, and instead accept an invitation onto a stronger one. After all, the only thing that mattered to them was strength.

 

Each year the senior class took part in a special test. It was an exam of sorts in which the teams from Uzario would compete with other battle schools. This was not limited to just Sazakira, but most other surrounding countries would take part as well. These tests served to measure which nation was the strongest.

 

Death was a likely outcome for the unprepared. With this in mind, many seniors decided to roll back into the junior class, and thus there were fewer teams formed than in years past.

 

The juniors where all gathered together in one section of the stands. They watched as groups were formed. Several of the high caliber students took the initiative and volunteered to be team leaders, and soon most of the class had been recruited into units.

 

With only half of the seniors pressing forward with the threat of death looming in front of them, it did not take long for the last team to be decided. Most formed groups of four or five, with only the strongest team being a group of three.

 

The squadron of three was made up of an unassuming stoic male with short black hair and all black attire. His partners were two eccentric females dressed as polar opposites. The blonde one had a rainbow outfit with matching wizard’s hat. The purple haired one was clothed in black lace, her skin was pale from some kind of makeup, and a skull mask shrouded her visage.

 

Kazuto turned to the Phoenix beside him. “The squadrons from this year are a humiliation. Even there strongest squad is worthless. I could beat those three without even trying.”

 

The aggressive tone and harsh words drew the attention of the other juniors around the silver haired boy. While it was true that the senior class was weak this year, few would be so bold as to call it out.

 

            Ares shrugged her shoulders and shook her head at Kazuto. “Of course you could, with a power like yours, they would not stand a chance.”

 

            He retorted. “You’re in a similar position. You would not even have to draw on your power, I think your skills with that katana would be more then enough.”

 

            An evil smirk spread across her face. “Do you think I should test that?”

 

            “No. They are not even worth bothering with, I’d put down 100 zeds that says they do not make back from the exams alive.”

 

            Ares sighed. “Like hell I would take that bet. Do I look like a foo-“

 

            A new female voice cut her off. “I’ll take that bet.”

 

            A striking figure sat where the voice originated from, a beautiful blonde with soft purple eyes. Her hair came down to the middle of her shoulder blades. She was slender, and a blue combat robe with light flower embroideries complimented her body. She was fair skinned with gentle features, and she had bright smile that showed hidden determination.

 

            Ares responded. “You are such a dreamer Lisanna! You don’t want to take that bet!”

 

            “I said I’d take, so I’ll take it!” she shouted with conviction.

 

            “Why would you take Kazuto’s bet? They really don’t stand a chance. Those three are just kindle that will be burned up in the fire of that exam. Surely you can understand just how hopeless they. You may be the only one in our class weaker than them!” She paused. “Other than Hiro that is.” She observed Lisanna’s flustered face. Leaning in towards the blonde, she whispered in her ear. “Or maybe you don’t have a logical reason for taking the bet. Perhaps it’s just that you have fallen for Todo?” She indicated the stoic male leader of the squad of three.

 

            If smoke could come out of her ears just then, it would have. “N-n-no!!! That’s not it at all! I-I just think that they can pull it off!” She looked back to Kazuto. “I’m sure I will win this bet, so thanks in head of time for the 100 zeds!”

 

            Kazuto’s face grew darker then it had been just moments earlier.  “He will not survive, but I will agree to our bet. Try to be dignified when he comes back in a body bag.”

 

            Ares decided to ad one last jab, and leaned in close to her with a cruel smile and whispered. “You know a weakling like you does not stand a chance with someone like him, even if he is weak too. He would not even acknowledge you if your own classmates won’t.”

           

A brown haired boy was sitting in the back row, invisible to the crowd that was focused on other matters. He no longer showed signs of having been in battle that day. He was clothed in his signature attire. He wore a relatively tight gray shirt with sleeves down to his elbows where they were folded. The neckline had a slight V in it, and a black undershirt was visible. It also had a short collar.  His pants were dusty black combat pants that were a simple design. They had a regular pocket at the top, and a cargo pocket at thigh level on each leg. It was an unassuming clothing choice.

 

The boy sighed.  “Meh.”

           

            Samakina retook the center of the field to speak. “Everyone please direct your attention to the newest squadrons of Uzario! These fine individuals will uphold our schools reputation in the upcoming practical, and until then they will begin their group training to become full-fledged warriors. Please give them your support!”

 

            Harsh stares and murmurs where more prevalent than cheers. Only a few from the crowd clapped, and it quickly went silent. The seniors were left to awkwardly shuffle their feet or look at anything but the unconcerned crowd. The squall of an unknown bird falling prey to a hawk in the distance could be heard. For the seniors, they felt like they might as well be that unfortunate bird.

 

            Without strength, no one would even look their way. They knew that, and they knew they were a disappointment. The school was only doing the ceremony out of tradition.

 

            But they had six months to change that. Six months to prepare their minds and bodies. Six months before the exams.

 

            With the ceremony having ended, the juniors departed to their dorms.



© 2014 whatamafu


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

this was pretty short but still very good

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

140 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 11, 2014
Last Updated on August 4, 2014


Author

whatamafu
whatamafu

About
Hello everyone. allow me to introduce myself to you all. My name is whatamafu. I am 20, I am a gamer, I am a workout-a-holic, I am an anime nerd, and I am a very amateur writer. I have recently taken .. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by whatamafu


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by whatamafu


Chapter 4 Chapter 4

A Chapter by whatamafu