2

2

A Chapter by Whispercherise

"Now my girl, now is the time, he comes, and surely as the light of day dawns, he comes. We must prepare, yes ,yes we must, all too soon it will be too late!" Her eyes widen, the voice seemed to come from nowhere yet everywhere at the same time. Since she had awoken this morn everything seemed just slightly off center. If anyone were to watch her, they would soon be calling for someone to come and cart her off to that horrid place for the insane. Where was that voice coming from and of whom was it speaking? Taking a deep cleansing breath she exhaled slowly, shaking her head slightly to clear her odd thoughts. She patted her hair, squared her shoulders and made her way to the dining area to break fast with her Aunt Gloria. Sweeping into the room with a bright smile pasted upon her lips, she curtsied deeply and took her seat. "Good Morning Aunt, and how are you this morn?" "How am I? You ask how am I? “ HER Aunt exclaimed a bit shrilly, “ How indeed would anyone be who had been awoken to that dreadfully horrible caterwauling in the dead of night. It startled me from a wonderfully sound sleep. Did you not hear it my girl? I was so terrified that I couldn't even climb from my covers. I was so worried about you." She stared at her niece. “Now Aunt why would you be worried for me, I suspect you probably woke from an awful dream brought on from the sheer exhaustion of our trip. " Her Aunt nearly leapt from her chair as she exclaimed. " NO, I know what I heard and I could have sworn it was coming from the direction of the room you slept in. Didn't you hear it?" Picking out a powdered scone and setting it on her plate before glancing toward her Aunt, she spoke calmly. " I heard nothing last night save the tick of the hall clock. Now, now my Darling Aunt, please do not dwell so on such a bad dream, you will make yourself plunge into a case of the vapors. Today we must be in good cheer for  we shall be mingling with all the fine gentlemen and gentlewomen of our vast family. I need you to have your wits about you so that you can introduce me as I have never met any of them. I am so wickedly nervous. Do you think they will like me?" Smiling at the child, no, woman she had taken in when she was but a wisp of a girl of five years. "How could they not love you my girl, you are a vision of loveliness and as sweet as a ripened peach. I dare say you will only have to bestow your smile upon them and they will instantly fall in love." " Oh Aunt, you spoil me too much." Her Aunt sighed wistfully, "If only your Mother had lived.....such a shame" she dabbed at her tears," You are so like her, yes, they will all love you." She took her Aunts aged and arthritic hand and held it tightly. "I wish I could remember her. I have nary even a slight memory of my childhood. It's as if I lived in the dark until I came to live with you. I wish that I knew...." Squeezing her nieces hand she clucked. "Now now, such a happy day before us and here we are blubbering, come Sweet, let us walk in the gardens and collect ourselves before it is time to meet everyone. This day will be a long and tiring one, but a happy one too."



© 2009 Whispercherise


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Nice wording and sensitively written, I concluded. It does have an old-fashioned feel to it, but I see that as a strength! I also agree with Kheltic's positive comments, by the way. It would certainly be worth extending the length of this story, I think. Have you considered adding it to the "Beyond Fantasy" Group, for your fellow members to read, review or share? A good piece of writing!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Nice wording and sensitively written, I concluded. It does have an old-fashioned feel to it, but I see that as a strength! I also agree with Kheltic's positive comments, by the way. It would certainly be worth extending the length of this story, I think. Have you considered adding it to the "Beyond Fantasy" Group, for your fellow members to read, review or share? A good piece of writing!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

And I am drawn in deeper...good write, very vivid. Your words flow easily, as though I am standing in the parlor watching events unfold. I would say that you have won a fan, but I am sure you already know...you have always had me.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

123 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 14, 2009
Last Updated on June 14, 2009


Author

Whispercherise
Whispercherise

About
*smiles softly* I am a closet writer and one who rarely allows anyone to see my work but a dear friend persuaded me to join so , do bear with me. I'm pretty easy going and lighthearted but terribly cu.. more..

Writing
Lost Lost

A Poem by Whispercherise