The Great Escape

The Great Escape

A Chapter by Tay Mo :)

The Great Escape

Alice stared at Jack, waiting for the horrible news.

“Well, firs’ of all, we gotta put them ropes back on yuh,” he murmured, sliding the ropes around her hands and tightening them. “And secondly, why are yuh makin’ it so hard for us to talk to your grandpa? Rosalie says to cut the crap and jus’ let her finish ‘cause if yuh don’ yuh won’ be goin’ home fur awhile.”

Alice was still staring, awestruck, when she felt the idea in her mind click.

After all of the hard work she’d put into thinking out a solution to getting herself away, this was what it had to be. A snap decision. The receptionist (I think her name’s Rosalie, Alice thought.) could only tell when she’d been thinking something over for some time, not when the idea just sprang into her head! Alice pulled with all the effort she could at the bindings on her wrists, and felt them loosen wide enough for her to slide both hands through. She made a wide kick at Jack, felt her foot collide with his face, and saw him go down. I can feel sorry later, she told herself. Right now my only concern is getting out before Rosalie makes it down here. Alice scrambled for the door. She wrenched it open and looked out into the sky, getting brighter as each minute passed. She peered around the corner of the motel to make sure no witnesses were there to see her off, then sprinted to the red Volvo waiting in a handicapped parking stall. No one was in the car. Alice doubted the keys would be in there, but she had to give it a try. She reached for the handle, expecting it to be locked, but found that the door swung open easily. She let out a short breath and crawled in, shutting the door behind her. There. The keys! Leave it to Jack and Jimmy to be stupid enough to make the one little mistake that is saving my life! She smiled at such a thought. Alice started the car and floored the gas pedal, the car lurching. She turned onto the interstate and headed home.

* * *

“It worked. She fell for it.” Rosalie smiled, the smile that was creepy on all counts. “Now, let her think she’s gotten away. Beat her to her home. Get the mom, and the old man. Anyone that will bring her to us in the end.” Jack stood rubbing his jaw at the edge of the bed, while Jimmy was sprawled across the top of the hideously flowered comforter. “Her powers have been momentarily delayed, due to the interaction with these ropes. Now, get going. I don’t want to hear a single word from you till you get there. Until then, gentlemen.” And she strolled out the open door.

“Golly. Yuh ever tink this kidnappin’ stuff gets harder with ev’ry blimey task she tells us to do?” Jack whispered.

“Shut up,” Jimmy said simply, before grabbing the motel stationary and jotting down a few sentences.

“Wha’s all that fur?” Jack asked.

“I forget things. My memory was never good. I think I got it from my dad.” He smiled a mischievous smile before following the same trail Rosalie had taken just seconds before.

Jack stood by the edge of the bed still. Not knowing what to do, he just stayed put. I usually mess these things up anyways, he thought to himself.

“Come on!” He heard the shorter man shout, and as Jack scuttled out the door, he caught one last glimpse of the room. The only thing left inside was a blue pen, the one that was used to write down the list of things to do, and a brown jacket.

* * *

Alice was still driving when the red light came on.

She glared down at the dashboard in horror, knowing what that light meant.

“No! No, not now! Not when I’m so close!” She could practically see the town lights as she headed back. But she knew she was still at least an hour away. She saw a sign for a gas station, and instantly thanked the heavens. “Yes!”

She searched around for her wallet, knowing she brought it with her. Where did it…go? Alice had a sudden, horrifying thought. She had taken her jacket off. When Jack let her out of her ropes for a break, she took her jacket off. Her jacket that held everything she needed to make it home as quick as possible. She was so entranced in her thoughts that she almost missed the exit to get to the gas station. She pulled into the parking lot and stopped. She had nothing to pay with. She couldn’t, no, she wouldn’t steal it.

The owner was a tall, buck-toothed tow-head who took no notice as Alice pulled in and pretended to grab money out of the jockey box. She kept her face low and hidden to be sure she wouldn’t have a warrant out for her arrest for stealing gas. It was the last thing she needed right now. Alice pushed the nozzle into the car and loaded as much gas as she thought would get her home. If I’m going to steal the gas, I’m only going to take what I need. She pulled the nozzle out of her car, feeling the eyes of the owner watching her every move. All at once, she slammed the small door to the gas tank, threw open the driver’s door, and clambered in. She could hear the running footsteps of the owner pounding on the black top as she started the car, but instead of stopping then and there, she floored the gas pedal and sped off into the horizon.

***

Jack said nothing as he drove the back-up truck, a rusted old Chevrolet, down the highway after their captive, instinctively flicking off his headlights. Jimmy sat in the passenger’s seat, staring out the window. Well gall. Does he ever say anythin’? Jack thought as he sped up to pass a truck pulling a horse trailer. Yuh can never get used to the hillbilly-edness of this town. Jimmy turned his head casually to the side to take a tiny glance at the clock, then resumed his position of staring out the window.

The radio now said it was 9:52, which meant that the girl could’ve been halfway there already. Jack pushed the gas pedal down further to the floor of the driver’s side. I wanna get outta this stupid ol’ truck .

Alice was going 20 miles over the speed limit, which was 70, before she realized what she was doing.

She slowed up a bit, but kept her focus to where it was needed most. Getting home and keeping everyone safe. Okay Alice. About twenty more minutes. You can do this. You can do this. You can..

***

BAM!

 

She was hurled sideways, the Lexus swerving to avoid the trees. She swiveled back onto the road and looked to her left.

 

She veered off the road and into the tree-crowded forest.

 

 

Where in the world did the Chevy come from?

The window rolled down on the passenger’s side and she saw the last people on Earth that she wanted to see.

Jack and Jimmy. They had been following her.

Alice glared at them through the window. She felt herself getting angrier and angrier, but no explosion ever came. She kept thinking the thoughts she knew would tick her off the most, but nothing happened. Alice slammed on the breaks, and, watching the truck speed ahead, whirled around to go the opposite way that she had been going. She knew those stupid ropes looked familiar. She knew it! She saw the Chevy pull up in her rearview mirror as she floored the gas pedal once more. Alright boys. You wanna play? She smiled, and pulled on her seatbelt. Let the games begin.



© 2008 Tay Mo :)


Author's Note

Tay Mo :)
Any errors?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
Added on August 21, 2008


Author

Tay Mo :)
Tay Mo :)

About
Writing is something i do for fun. I put my feelings, thoughts, and emotions into my work. It becomes very personal for me on the utmost level. Anyone agree? :) Music. Can't live .. more..

Writing
Don't Don't

A Poem by Tay Mo :)