[untitled]

[untitled]

A Chapter by Tay Mo :)

The Chase

 

The trees loomed out at Alice as she swerved and skidded around several fallen trees and broken stumps. She kept the car going at a solid 70 miles an hour, being flung from both sides of the car in the process of navigating through the lush forest. Though she could only see the blurred outlines of most things, the Chevy pickup truck that had been tailing her for the past few miles was crystal clear. Alice darted past a small pond, and prayed to God she didn’t hit anything in her haste to avoid the trees, as well as the truck.

The Chevy behind her seemed to be getting closer with every bump she went off of, and Alice was starting to get worried. What to do, what to do, what to do…?

“For cryin’ out loud! Just go away!” Alice screamed, although it was apparent no one could hear her.

***

Jack and Jimmy kept their distance behind the shiny car for the first few miles, but as she drove deeper into the woods they both knew they had her cornered. There would be at least one of three happenings: 1. She would hit a tree, and this crazy chase would be over. 2. She would run out of gas. She didn’t appear to have filled up very much at the gas station when they had been keeping close tabs on her, and was bound to run out soon enough. Or finally 3. She would surrender, which would be easier for all of them.

Jack heard Jimmy mutter something (did he mutter it, or scream it? The roar of the ancient truck was so loud that you would be lucky to hear a bullhorn over the racket), and unintentionally pushed harder on the gas pedal with his foot. Jimmy smiled approvingly into the windshield, seeming to know how this crazy chase would end.

***

Alice struggled against the steering wheel as it attempted to jam itself to the right, which would have caused her to crash into a tree.

The trees were starting to thin out, and so was her gas gage. It was now down to the ¼ line, since she had only filled it up to the ½ mark. Alice noticed a small clearing up ahead and knew it was her only chance. She pushed the gas pedal dangerously close to the floor, bouncing around rigorously. Flying off of a small jump, she landed at the edge of the clearing. She sped into the midst of it. At the center, she flipped the steering wheel to the right and pulled up the emergency break, doing a 180. Just as the Chevy bounced out of the overcrowded forest, Alice dodged past the infuriated men, heading back over the trail they had all just taken. She never looked behind her as she made her way back to the highway, back to the gas station, and back to the horror of the night.

***

Jack was used to seeing Jimmy a little ticked off, but this level of angry was usually the kind you see in a mental institute.

The daylight shone through the windshield as Jimmy angrily kicked, clawed, and dug at the ground outside of the truck, putting on quite a show for Jack. If he hadn’t been so worried about what Rosalie would do to them, he would have thought it was funny.

Jimmy stomped around outside, yelling every cuss word under the sun at the top of his lungs. He kicked at a patch of grass. There was no way, no stinking way he was going to let her get away like this. But the truck was damaged, due to that last little jump that the Lexus had taken so easily. The old Chevy had hit the jump full-on, and landed hard on the front of the truck. It was over heating, and there was no way that it would start again unless there was another, more powerful car to help it.

Jack stepped out of the cab, giving Jimmy a small glance. Jimmy glared hard back, his beady eyes darting from the ground to his face.

“There’s a way we can fix this. We jus’ have ta walk back to the highway, and catch a ride. Its not that far. Two or three miles, maybe.”

Jimmy blinked. “Well, ain’t you smart! You’re the blasted fool who drove off that pile of dirt in the first place! You should walk, you’re the idiot!”

“I drove off tha’ pile o’ dirt ‘cause there wasn’t no other place ta go! Blasted fool!” Jack scoffed, taking a step forward.

“Who was driving?! I sure didn’t see my hands on the wheel!”

“Will you two SHUT-UP?!”

The two men looked up from their heated battle, only inches from each others’ faces. Rosalie stood on top of the mound of dirt, looking elegant. She hopped down and strode to where the babbling men stood, transfixed by her sudden appearance. “I’ve about had it with you two blubbering idiots! You had best hope this doesn’t screw everything up, or I swear you’ll be chicken stew by morning. NOW MOVE!” She pointed to the woods where a red Subaru Outback was parked in the shade of the trees.

As they shuffled off to the car, she muttered, “Men!”. Jack and Jimmy had gotten in a small cat fight, and were repeatedly slapping each others’ hands. Rosalie sighed in disgust and stalked over to break up the buffoons.

***

Alice kept her headlights on as bright as they would go, even though other commuters driving the opposite direction didn’t appreciate it. She didn’t want to miss another thing, not when the men had gotten so close to her last time.

As she drifted along the yellow lines dividing the small intersection, her eyes started to get tired. Being a superhero didn’t mean she could go 3,000 years without sleeping, although it would have been a definite plus. Alice blinked back the exhaustion that seemed to overwhelm her greater by the second. The sky outside was getting lighter, and, although it was only about 4 or 5 in the morning, she knew the gas boy at the station was on to her by now. There would probably be someone watching the gas 24/7. It was her only chance, but it sure was a risky one. Her mom wouldn’t be happy about what she had done, neither would her grandfather, considering she disappeared without telling anybody. But if it was a matter of life and death, the lecture on responsibility and punishment would be postponed until after the world was saved, right?

Alice kept thinking of ways to explain to her mom what she was, and how she had kept it a secret for so long. She was so engrossed in her thoughts that she had barely made the exit for the gas station. Just as she had expected, the tow-head was guarding the pumps, if you could call it guarding. He was asleep in a lawn chair with his wicker hat pulled down low over his face.

Lazy employees…you never can get rid of them! Alice pulled a smile. Blaring the horn, she charged into the gas station without using her signals. The tow-head bolted upright, jumping to his feet and grabbing the pink umbrella that was laying at his feet. She flew out of the car and over to where the boy stood, apparently puzzled.

“Yes, yes, I know. I’m the girl who stole the gas and that’s fine I was planning on paying for it anyways. But right now, I won’t be around much longer to pay for it all unless you help me out. These guys are chasing me, and I really need to use your phone. Please, just go!” Pushing him into the small store, she flipped around madly, looking for a phone.

“I’m sorry miss. The phone’s only for payin’ customers.” That buck-toothed smile grinned at her as he stood behind the counter, apparently thinking this was some sort of joke.

“Why the heck do you think I had to steal gas!? Let me make this clearer so even you can understand it: I DON’T HAVE MONEY! Just let me use your dang phone!” She made a grab for the phone that hung just behind his head, but he had reflexes like those of a cat.

“I think you’d better go now.” He held her wrist as he escorted her to the door.

“But…but...I need…No! Don’t do this! It’s a federal crime to not help someone when they are in danger!” This last she yelled, not knowing whether it was true or not, but hoping to scare him into believing her. It didn’t work. The door was slammed shut and the open sign was flipped to closed. He pulled the blinds over the window, clearly giving her the message to go away.

Alice shoved her hand deep into her right pocket and pulled out the small silver lighter. Now adding to my criminal record list…shoplifting and arson!

She jumped back into the Volvo and flipped the key. It sprung to life. She drove to where a few early morning travelers’ cars were parked and parked along side a Honda Accord. She ran over to a garbage can and pulled it as far from the gas pump as possible but close enough to the window to keep him occupied.

What he probably hadn’t expected her to do was fill up first.

She noticed a red gasoline tank near the furthest gas pump, and had filled up as much as she could without drawing too much attention to herself.

Then, after she had filled up, she poured the remaining gas into the garbage can and threw the lighted lighter in before sprinting as fast as she could.

The explosion of flames was amazing, something that is definitely different than what is seen in a Hollywood movie.

The heat was almost unbearable even at a safe distance.

 

Just as Alice had expected, he bombarded out of the store and over to the flaming can, trying to find something to put out the flames. Alice took her chance and snuck into the store, snatching up the phone as fast as her shaking fingers would let her. She dialed her grandfather’s number, knowing he would be the most likely to answer.

Ring, ring, ring…ring, ring, ring…ring, ring, ring..Hey! You’ve reached my voicemail. Leave a message and I will call ya back! BEEP.

“Grandpa its me! I need help! I am at a small gas station in a hillbilly town, and these guys are after me! Please pick up if you can hear me! Hello?…” Her voice trailed off at the end, just as a pair of scissors cut the telephone line from behind her.

 

 



© 2008 Tay Mo :)


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
Added on August 21, 2008


Author

Tay Mo :)
Tay Mo :)

About
Writing is something i do for fun. I put my feelings, thoughts, and emotions into my work. It becomes very personal for me on the utmost level. Anyone agree? :) Music. Can't live .. more..

Writing
Don't Don't

A Poem by Tay Mo :)