The Private Investigator

The Private Investigator

A Chapter by William Wolfe

A lone figure walked toward the checkpoint at the opening of the Wall . The guard was busy reading his digital magazine and did not notice the figure at first. The guard looked up from his magazine at the figure , having trouble distinguishing the features of the man's face due to the rain .All he could tell that the figure was human from what the sensors told him . The guard stood up to size the man up . The figure stood just below his chin , tall for a human. 

“What do you want ?” the guard spoke in flat english. 

The figure spoke in a deep tone . “ There's never been a checkpoint  here , never since at least thirty years ago.”

The guard did not expect the figure to remember something like that , he did not look like a thirty year old human.

 “Uh yeah ,,..” He said almost forgetting how to express astonishment in human english. “ The south side of the wall has been building tensions since the police have stopped its investigation into the disappearance of children.” 

“You mean refused”

The guard did not answer, he could not deny it but was ordered not to build on any tensions already present. “Can I see your identification” 

The human pulled out a piece of laminated paper. 

It stated Chase Williams  . Private Investigator , gold status investigator. Citizen level : Classified.

The guard was surprised. It was rare that someone like him took interest in an area like the Southside let alone visit it. Most people pine for the high rises of the Northside and once they achieve it , they may visit once or twice if there was no hassle but they would like to have nor record of having any connection to the southside fearing this connection would hold them back.

Yet here was a person who was about to do business with the southside. 

The guard let him pass .

“Williams Huh” The guard said “ May the light of Orion guide you” . .

PI Williams nodded  and in turn answered in the reply “ and also you , oh polite one” 

The guard was surprised that the human  knew the reply and bowed showing respect as Williams’ shadow disappeared into the darkness.




© 2019 William Wolfe


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

12 Views
Added on July 13, 2019
Last Updated on July 13, 2019