Assemblage

Assemblage

A Story by wisteric
"

"... AND NOW ENTERING THE CONTESTANTS!"

"

“...AND NOW ENTERING THE CONTESTANTS!”


Lumi sighed, for once thankful for the cool metal that made up their right arm as they rested their head against their palm. They blew stray black hairs from their face as they glanced around the cramped arena, absently noting the tense security, rallying crowds, excited announcer, and overturned field. Dust hung in a hazy cloud, only just starting to clear from the previous, hardwon matches. Lumi eyed the dent where their previous opponent had flown into the wall, and a faint smirk settled on their face, slightly contorting a nearby scar on their cheek.


It was only the first day of the tournament, and by Ara, they were rearing to punch someone (or thing, they’re not picky). Sure, they already had a match, but their opponent was a Danus of all things, and if there is one truth in the universe, it’s that the followers of Eridanus should never fight - pride and arrogance was always their biggest downfall.


“IN THE NORTH, HAILING FROM THE OUTSKIRTS OF GAMMA, WE HAVE AKI OF PAVO!”


Scattered cheers erupted from the crowds, though even they died down fairly quickly. Jeers and grimaces erupted from several groups of Phoenixes sprinkled across the stands, and if the Ara were was hateful of Peacocks as Firebirds were, Lumi would be inclined to join them. Those who worship Pavo are narcissistic, beautiful and rightfully vain, but their charm and cunning are something to be feared - and often times, their matches are finished as quickly as they began. And if one of them is out in the ring, when they’re usually so careful to avoid such places, especially a popular one like this… well, the odds were not in favor of Aki’s opponent.


As expected, from one of the rusted gates came the woman, fashioned in a shining top that seemed to reflect color after color as the lights illuminating the arena caught its gaze. With a natural grace and oddly grim expression, she strode across the dirt floor as if it were her own palace. Her curly black hair was tied into a strict bun, with tattoos and stylized cybernetics that seemed to cover her rich, dark skin with ink and metal, depicting peacocks, silk, and other images holy to the Pavos. Oddly practical black combat pants and boots were stitched and hemmed to perfection - in fact, the whole attire looked as if it was painted onto her skin. There was also a silver pendant dangling from her throat - and from that angle, it almost looked as if it was…


Terror gripped their body as Lumi felt the blood drain from their face, and from the dawning fear and comprehension in the silent crowds’ (especially the Phoenixes’) faces, the others realized what it was as well. Lumi whipped their head towards the announcer, growing even paler when it became obvious he hadn’t realized what was around Aki’s neck - a beautiful chain made of silver, a charm engraved in Latin, depicting a peacock wielding a cypress branch.


“AND FROM THE SOUTH, ALL THE WAY FROM GALAXY ZED, WE HAVE SUN OF PHOENIX!”


It was a Pavo symbol of war.

© 2018 wisteric


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I had to read the story a few times but was still not sure if Lumi was a singular/plural/multi-being. I am not sure why the Pavo symbol of war was so frightening to Lumi. That wasn't clear. It felt as if this were (1) the beginning of a longer story where things would be explained or (2) the end of a longer story where we already know what was going on.

Posted 5 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

45 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 29, 2018
Last Updated on June 29, 2018
Tags: sci-fi, fictional religion

Author

wisteric
wisteric

About
“If you are a dreamer come in If you are a dreamer a wisher a liar A hoper a pray-er a magic-bean-buyer If you're a pretender come sit by my fire For we have some flax golden tales to spin .. more..

Writing